GO!

Budget cut!!! Affordable canned food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Wallace - My Little- Angel

The A-durable- Wallace

Purred: Wed Apr 18, '12 5:48pm PST 
So I have a little bit smaller budget now. I have one picky eater, Wallace, and then Newton who will consume practically anything except raw. I don't want to go back to dry food because it took me so long to get them off of it (they reeeeallly loved their kibble and I ended up wasting good canned food because of it). I was feeding them Wellness and Blue Wilderness and if there are occasions when those are having a big sale, I might splurge but I really need to find a way to spend less. Occasionally they get a can of FF here and there (they LOVE it) but I saw this brand Authority that is exclusive to Petsmart and was surprised that it contained no by-products and stuff. A couple of the flavors contain gluten but some don't and a 6oz can is only 85 cents!!!!! Has anyone ever tried this brand before??? I bought a few cans today to see how the boys like it. Newton (as usual) licked his plate clean. Wallace always eats about half and then comes back like an hour later to finish it.

I only have Petsmart and Petco around here - no little mom and pop pet stores so I really rely on the universally available brands. Suggestions or experiences with the Authority brand?? I just want my boys to get good nutrition but my wallet is dusty. thinking
[notify]

max

here to help

Purred: Wed Apr 18, '12 6:22pm PST 
instead of expensive canned food try a pet store brand of dry that has a similar nutrition label as science diet or iams add hot water and there you go use small amounts clean bowl and feed twice a day cats appreciate quality you can produce consistancy
[notify]

Memphis

World Domination- Is Easier With- Thumbs

Purred: Thu Apr 19, '12 10:20am PST 
Max, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but wet food is indisputably better for cats than dry. Also, Science Diet is not the best food out there.

Wallace's mom is absolutely correct for looking for a cheaper wet food rather than switching to dry. W's Mom, try Soulistic. It is made by Weruva for Petco. It is cheaper than Weruva but still grain-free!

It's about $1.25 or so per can for 5.5 oz, and they have gravy included, so that is good for water intake. They have 2 chicken-only flavors right now, but I actually emailed Weruva about a week ago asking about new flavors, and they said they were going to put out more without fish within the next few months. My cats go bananas for Soulistic.

I used to feed Felidae, but that has gotten too expensive cry Felidae used to be $13 a case for 12 cans, but now it's upwards of $20!
[notify]

Kosmo

Sharp Dressed- Man

Purred: Thu Apr 19, '12 11:47pm PST 
We also like Soulistic and it's currently on sale at petco.com for $8.90 for 8 5.5 oz. cans which works out to $1.11 per can which is not bad! Also they offer free shipping when you spend $49 so maybe it's a chance to stock up?

We also have tried the Authority brand canned food but didn't much care for it but if your kitties will eat it it's pretty good, quality-wise and sometimes it's on sale for $.75 per can which is a fantastic deal!
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Fri Apr 20, '12 3:55am PST 
Wallace, have you gone to ibdkitties.net? Check out the list for wet food. Those are all the good brands that are safe for kitties. What you could do is, print out the list, bring it to petsmart/petco and just find the cheapest one. That way you know its safe, somewhat cheap, and you won't have to wander around the cat isle asking yourself "Is this a good food for my cats?"

Soulistic huh? Hmmm, gonna have to try that one out for Hunter. Thanks! smile
[notify]

max

here to help

Purred: Wed Apr 25, '12 6:01pm PST 
Add water to dry food! !presto wet food. Of course there is probably better cat food out there than science diet. And somewhere there's better food than lobster. Science diet costs more than a lot of cat owners can digest. Let alone purified sailfish kidneys. And yeah snobs admitt a bowl of dry science diet with hot water on it is the absolute best you or I would ever hope for Kitty's around the world to have for supper
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Apr 25, '12 6:12pm PST 
Don't mix dry food with water shock Harmful bacteria and mold will grow and cause an upset tummy shock
[notify]

Stinkers Finn Franscis

Singing No- Worries, About a- thing!

Purred: Thu Apr 26, '12 1:05pm PST 
I agree! DO NOT add water to dry cat food! It indeed does create harmful bacteria that will mess with cats stomachs! Sometimes I add chicken broth over dry cat food, but that is rare occasions and it is taken away almost as immediately as I put it out.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Thu Apr 26, '12 2:50pm PST 
If there is a Trader Joe near you, their canned food is very good (no by-products, no corn, etc.) and cheap - about 50 cents a can. My cats love it and they are in tip-top health.
[notify]

Wallace - My Little- Angel

The A-durable- Wallace

Purred: Thu Apr 26, '12 3:04pm PST 
No Trader Joe here. Just Petsmart and Petco, unfortunately. Today I got some FF classics because they are high protein and gluten free. I'm trying to give them the best I can. It doesn't help that while Newton will eat anything under the sun, Wally is far more picky. He does love his FF, though. I also stay away from the seafood varieties.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3