GO!

Purina One beYond

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Stinkers Finn Franscis

Singing No- Worries, About a- thing!

Purred: Tue Apr 17, '12 6:59am PST 
Hi everyone!

So, I went to walmart the other day. Unfortunately, they were out of Iams Original Chicken flavor, so I had to get Stinky Purina One Beyond Chicken Recipe.

I was just wondering how decent of a food is this? I know it isn't as good as the TOTW that he was on, but he completely stopped eating it, and will not touch it if I mix it in with his food. So I had to revert back to Walmart cat food.

The ingredients in the Beyond actually seem a bit better than in the Iams, but I am still unsure about how well I can judge cat foods. shrug
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Apr 17, '12 9:08am PST 
It's a little better than most other supermarket/big box store foods shrug You kind of get what you pay for, IMO silenced

Chicken, chicken meal, whole brown rice, soybean meal, whole barley, whole oat meal, soy protein isolate, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), brewers dried yeast, dried egg product, natural flavor, dried beet pulp, fish oil, phosphoric acid, caramel color, dried carrots, salt, dried sweet potatoes, dried apples, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, taurine, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, niacin, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite

It does contain chicken but then it contains a bunch of grains which a cat does not need.

Does your budget allow for a better brand of food? A grain-free dry food is ideal. Not great, since dry food can ause all sorts of health issues, but better than a grain-filled food. Petco sells Wellness CORE dry food which is grain-free.
[notify]

Stinkers Finn Franscis

Purred: Tue Apr 17, '12 9:31am PST 
Hi Merlin wave

I actually did have Stinky and Sylvester, on Taste of the Wild (Grain-free). Then, all of a sudden Stinky stopped eating completely and got very sick, and weak where he could not even walk.
So, I had to put him back on Iams, as that was the food he was on before TOTW. Which he absolutely loves. TOTW is still in the house in another food dish, as my other cat still eats it, Stinky will not touch it. If I mix it in with the Iams he won't even eat the Iams.

I am in a very remote area, the nearest Petco is 1 1/2+ hours away. I do not have debt or credit card, so I cannont purchase online.

The local petstore only has: TOTW, Felidae, and Chicken Soup
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Apr 17, '12 4:52pm PST 
Is the local pet store a chain or independent? Many independent pet stores will special order food for you. Sometimes they even have free sample bags of food.

Felidae has a grain-free line called Pure Elements (chicken) and Pure Sea (salmon). It contains chicken or salmon meal which I guess is ok.

Maybe add in some canned food to the cats' diet so they don't get completely bored with dry food. An all canned food diet would be best but not everyone can do that for whatever reason.

Edited by author Tue Apr 17, '12 4:54pm PST

[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Apr 17, '12 5:37pm PST 
Here are coupons for the Felidae grain-free food: http://www.canidae.com/cats/grain-free-cat-coupon.php
[notify]

Percy

always has time- to lick your- face

Purred: Tue Apr 17, '12 9:15pm PST 
Purina is no good, it makes the hair look bad, dry and rough, and they get uti's on it - that is a very bad sign. Iams is a great food, my cats eat it. Their hair is shiny and soft, the prebiotics are good for digestion, and all iams cat diets have targeted pH for urine. Its a great food.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Apr 18, '12 4:06am PST 
http://www.catinfo.org for in depth info on proper cat nutrition way to go

All dry foods can cause urinary problems shrug Dry food contains no water at all which results in concentrated urine that is more prone to developing crystals and such. From Catinfo.org: When a cat is on a diet of water-depleted dry food, they produce a more highly concentrated urine (higher urine specific gravity - USG) and they produce a lower volume of urine (often half of what a cat on canned food produces) which means that a higher concentration of crystals will be present in the urine. This increases the chance of these crystals forming life-threatening stones. It is also thought that the highly concentrated urine may be very irritating to the bladder wall in some cats, predisposing them to painful cystitis.

Urine pH fluctuates all the time. From Catinfo.org: Urine pH is also often considered when discussing urinary tract problems but we really need to stop focusing on pH. Again, a proper amount of water in the diet is the important issue here - not urine pH..... there are many factors which determine the pH of urine and only one of them is diet.

I agree that Purina isn't the best food out there but if the local stores are limited in what products they carry and the Human cannot easily travel to another town/city and buying online is not an option, then you just have to feed the best quality food that is readily available shrug

Stinkers, is a raw diet an option? You could do a homemade one by using store bought raw meats and bones. The Raw Forum can tell you how to best do a homemeade raw det There are different ways.
[notify]

Stinkers Finn Franscis

Purred: Wed Apr 18, '12 6:29am PST 
No, unfortunately Raw Diet is not an option. Nor is a all wet food diet an option for my cats. They do get a can of wet cat good a day though (split between the two of-course).

At the pet store, all they have for Felidae is the Yellow bag and Silver/Gray bag. They do not have pure elements. The old owners of the pet store used to order cat food for me, but the new one's don't. So, unfortunately that is not a option either.

I personally liked the Iams best of the market store brands as well, but Iams is made from Purina to from my understandings.

Like I said I would have gotten it, as Stinky loves it, but they were all out. So I went with the Beyond as it seemed to me, that it was healthier than Whiskas, Friskies, Original Purina products, Meow Mix, Alley Cat, Deli Cat etc.
[notify]

Percy

Purred: Wed Apr 18, '12 11:54am PST 
Iams is not purina. Iams is connected with Eukanuba. They are distributed by proctor and gamble. My brother has cystitis, and I know that wet food is good for cats. He is on prescription diet for urine health. Iams is a great food though.
[notify]

Percy

Purred: Wed Apr 18, '12 12:00pm PST 
I want to add that pH is absolutely important. It tells you how acid the urine is and when it is high, you get struvite crystals. Diets need to be low ash, low magnesium, low salt. Purina is not. My mom works in the lab of a vet clinic and studied nutrition.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2