GO!

Kitties with Hyperthyroidism, I gots a quicky question

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon Mar 19, '12 2:37pm PST 
No, its not Bump. Trying to help a lady, who posted on the petty smart site. Her kitty just got diagnosed with it, and she gots like a zillion questions, I know how that feels.

Her immediate question is, is the Y food, by Science Diet, the only way to go, foodie wise?

About all I remember is, ya gots to avoid iodine, which I know is fish, fish meal, any fishy products. So was wondering, can she feed a foodie, that does not have any fishy stuff in it, would that accomplish the goal, or is there more to it?

If ya gots any linkys, to share, that would help her, I can pass them on to her. Thanks!!! waveway to gohugkissing
[notify]

Mocha

Purred: Mon Mar 19, '12 3:22pm PST 
According to my vet, he says that the food from SD is a joke. He's of the opinion that it's going to cause more problems than it MIGHT potentially help fix. His feeling is that the food will strain various organs and that this is just a fad to make money. In the 30+ years he's been in practice he's seen so many 'prescription diets' that just end up causing more problems than anything else. He feels that for some people, the prescription diets work. His thought is that cats fed this diet are still going to be hyperthyroid, but their numbers might drop a little. Unfortunately, people will think that this is 'fixing' the disease and will end up with cats who are tachycardic, and have serious heart problems, as well as numerous other health problems related to the diesease.

In my research from when Mocha was diagnosed the cheapest treatment, in the long run, is the radioactive Iodine treatment (I-131). However, medication is the other alternative for most cats. It's cheap (both the pill and transdermal form) and works incredibly well. Mocha was one of the minute percentage that couldn't tolerate the medication in any form and almost died, so we spend our tax return on her I-131 treatment. We began to notice a change in her behaviour, appetite, and general health within the first week.

I would really recommend that she stay AWAY from the prescription food and focus on just putting her cat on a good quality food. All of mine are fed wet and raw. When I buy wet food I stay away from anything with fish or kelp on the ingredient label (no way to measure how much iodine is in the kelp), and I also buy the big cans as often as possible as there are studies that are coming out (can't find them at the moment) that are showing that the lining/film on the inside of the pop-top cans contains BPE's, or something like that, and that they're seeing a significantly higher rate of hyperthyroidism in cats fed from those cans. The suggestion is to buy the bigger cans as that means that less food is coming into direct contact with the inside coating.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon Mar 19, '12 5:02pm PST 
Moca, your permission, to copy and paste, your post, on her post, on the petty smart FB site? No names, will not even mention the board it came from. If you want to reply to her direct, its on the Pet Smart Facebook site. Its down aways, ya gotta get past all the pictures people post, mol, the jist of her post is, she is asking about the Y food, from SD, I got jumped on by one professional looking man, mol, Bump been jumped on by way better than him, mol. She is still asking for more information.

I also know, they can possibly develop heart issues, which that, ya don't want to mess with. I agree, she is better off, feeding a grain free food, which if her kitty develpes heart issues, she is going to have, to do that.

Mocha, greatly appreciate your information! waveway to gohug

Or do you think, I should just refer her to Catster, and let her put up her own post? thinking
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Mon Mar 19, '12 7:58pm PST 
Hi Bump here is a great Link with lots of links at the end
http://www.felineoutreach.org/Education/Hyperthyroidism.html

Hi Mochawave We have recently been reading up about the BPA in the can linings. Its actually not just the pop top cans, its the large cans that contain the BPA, except for a few manufactures example Felidae large cans, and merricks BG do not contain BPA, there are a few more, but not many.
Most all small cans do not contain the BPA. You can google this and you will find a list. I will have to do it again. I think there is a list of truthaboutpetfood.com
This is very frustrating as we feed quite a bit of Wellness grain free in large cans. So this week I bought some Merricks, but now have to take it all back, as it smells rancid frown
[notify]

Mocha

Purred: Mon Mar 19, '12 9:10pm PST 
@Bumpurr Have at it! I tend to steer clear of those FB sites as everyone gets a bit... grumpy. Don't even care if you use names!

@Shadow Hmmm... good to know. I feed mostly big cans of what I can find mostly due to cost. Maybe I'll start rotating in more BG. It's hard to find info on which brands use what! Thanks!
[notify]

Mimi- (MimiWowow)

I have a new- sister named- Caroline!

Purred: Tue Mar 20, '12 6:34pm PST 
Read this

http://endocrinevet.blogspot.com/2012/01/believe-hype-hills- latest-marketing.html

and other enteries from this vet's blog. He is not a fan of this y/d food.
[notify]

Suntabby

a tuff tabby!

Purred: Sat Mar 31, '12 5:31am PST 
Hi! I'm glad you already got a good response already but wanted to add a linky to agree. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism back in October. I had been a big beautiful tabby but lost a couple of pounds before I got some treatment! I had the I-131 treatment back in January and feel much better. Before that my mom had wondered about the Y/D foodies but my doctor said since I was just 9 years old it would be better to just go for a cure with the radioactive iodine.

It looks like if you try to control hyperthyroidism with a low iodine diet, over time as the abnormal thyroid tissue keeps growing, those foodies don't take care of the problem. Here's the linky to an endocrine doctor: http://endocrinevet.blogspot.com/2012/03/q-persistent-hyperthyroidis m-in-cat.html
[notify]

Suntabby

a tuff tabby!

Purred: Sat Mar 31, '12 5:34am PST 
Oh no Mimi I am sorry my mommy only saw the first two entries on this thread before we posted, because we are reading on a tiny screen. I didn't know you had already linked to that doctor's blog.

Purrs
[notify]

Mika

Purred: Sat Mar 31, '12 11:47am PST 
When I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism my vet didn't recommend a prescription diet at all. I just take a chicken-flavored treat every morning that my Mom says is medicine.
[notify]