GO!

Is It Melamine, Again......??????

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Tue Mar 20, '12 9:05am PST 
While I know what you really meant by "pet owners who buy those products deserve what they get", that statement isn't fair to the animals as they are the ones that suffer. They certainly don't deserve what they get. And also while I agree that Susan Thixton does write many things that are unsubstantiated, there is clearly something terrible going on here. And at this point, any speculation is fine if it gets people to stop buying those treats! shrug
[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Tue Mar 20, '12 1:07pm PST 
Gummi, I can't tell by your sentence structure- are you saying that the stores you go to do not sell Dogswell or Canyon Creek or are you saying those brands aren't made in China? I'm thinking you meant the former, that the stores do not carry those brands because they are made in China.

My beautiful dog Sophie passed away a year ago at age 16 so it's been awhile since I've bought dog treats. Years ago, when the FDA put out the first warning and I started reading the fine print, I was shocked to find Dogswell is made in China. I'm glad to hear you are not seeing those treats in stores and I hope that consumers continue to educate themselves and read the fine print (because at that point, you needed a magnifying glass to read on the Dogswell bag that it came from China).
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Tue Mar 20, '12 5:28pm PST 
You're right, I did mean the former, sorry about the wording there.
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Thu Mar 22, '12 10:02am PST 
My dogs have never been fed any of the Jerky products so I am not well informed on the issue. I have read the article way back in November that Shadow posted. What I do know is that any product I buy is researched before feeding. I don't mean researched by reading blogs like Thixton's. I go to the source if I can. Personally I avoid anything made in China but that's me.
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Fri Mar 23, '12 11:33am PST 
Gummi, I think making statements like "they deserve what they get" may not be the most constructive way to phrase your thoughts. I was not personally affected by the melamine disaster of '07, but many responsible pet guardians and their beloved pets were. I don't think you intended to suggest that anyone "deserved" what happened in that case or in any other tainted-food case, but I understand how your comments may have been perceived as offensive. Those who have lost pets due to an issue with food may be particularly sensitive to such comments.

I firmly believe that most people love their pets and do the very best they can for them. Whether that means feeding organic raw meat or supermarket dry food or anything in between, nobody ever "deserves" to have harm befall their pet.
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Fri Mar 23, '12 12:04pm PST 
They deserve it when they KNOW there's a problem with the treats and they buy and feed it to their pets anyway. I feel sorry for the pets, not them. I feel strongly about that.

Regardless I had revised my statements in those posts so now no one can see what I meant.

And I do not see how what I wrote was offensive - it was an opinion.
[notify]

Catster HQ

Purred: Fri Mar 23, '12 12:10pm PST 
Hi,

We have closed this thread. Threads can be closed temporarily or permanently for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common reasons are: the thread has gone off topic; the thread is not in the 'spirit' of Catster; the thread is no longer fun, friendly or informational; the thread has been discussed at length in other threads; or we cannot provide adequate moderation at this time.

Please let HQ know if you have any questions.

HQ

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2