GO!

Is It Melamine, Again......??????

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Mar 17, '12 6:09am PST 
Copied and pasted, from some information I came across, and wanted to share.

Is it Melamine Again?
Today is the five year anniversary of the start of the deadliest pet food recall in history. On March 16, 2007, Menu Foods announced a pet food recall that eventually led to thousands of pet deaths and long term illness and made melamine a household word. And now melamine is resurfacing; found to be the reason for import refusal for numerous products including Jerky Treats all within the last several months.

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/is-it-melamine-again.h tml
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Sat Mar 17, '12 7:28pm PST 
Last I've heard from the FDA was that they've done extensive testing and have found nothing specific in the current treat supply as of yet.
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Sat Mar 17, '12 9:47pm PST 
From what I have been able to find out; There is not current threat or possible influx of melamine in treats or food. It would appear the article is meant to stir controversy where none exists.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sat Mar 17, '12 11:29pm PST 
Thanks for sharing Bump....there is no controversy here, Dogs are dying everday from these Jerky treats!!!!
The FDA does not check every batch that sits on pet store shelves.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Mar 18, '12 5:30am PST 
Not trying to create a controvirsity or stir up trouble, mol, just passing on information I came across, and wanted to share it, for those that like to know what is going on, so they can make an informed decision. If I had a doggie, wish I could have one, mol or bol, I would want to know, if there was a possible issue, with any foodie or treatie, and make my own decision. waveway to gohug

If all those doggies are getting sick and/or dying, from eating jerky treats, well, then, there is something wrong, they just haven't figured it out yet. Look how long it took, with the Menu Foods saga of 2007, company denied, denied, denied, as well as other pet parents. shock

It only took one person, to step up and say, hey, somethin ain't right with this picture, and look what happened and what we found out. applause

I put out the information of what happened to Bump a few days ago. Not at all saying, every kitty who limps, has it, just passing on information, for those those that may someday, find that information useful. I didn't know it at that time, very glad, I do now.

Its just information, if one can find it useful, great, if not, throw it away. waveway to gohug
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Mon Mar 19, '12 8:57am PST 
Bumpurr, thank you for clarifying your position. While I think informing people of a potential threat is fantastic; I also believe some type of verified factual information might be helpful as well. Have you found anything to substantiate the article? I can't seem to find much on it and have checked just about every site that I know of. I would appreciate any insider information you might have cheer
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon Mar 19, '12 2:30pm PST 
I got lots and lots and lots of information, the big Bump knows whats going on, in the pet world, he has to, because of his issue, but, information, costs a quarter, mol, mol, mol. laugh out loudbig laughway to gohugkissing
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Mon Mar 19, '12 8:34pm PST 
FDA warned back in Nov.2011 you can read it here.
http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm 280586.htm

Because tests by the FDA are inconclusive, pet treat manufacturers are not required by law to recall their products, and none of them have volunteered to do so. But given that the tests have not pinpointed the contaminant does not mean it is not contaminated. The FDA issued a warning to pet owners in November, 2011 in regards to this issue.

The question many are asking is how many dogs will have to die before the products are recalled? It is already estimated that the dead and dying are numbered at more than 500. This number does not count all of the cases that have not made the connection yet between a pet’s illness and the treats. The treats are causing kidney failure and Fanconi syndrome, with some cases resulting in death; others, in chronic kidney disease.

Four months has passed since the FDA warning yet the treats are still being sold, and pets are still dying
[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Tue Mar 20, '12 5:41am PST 
As Shadow has pointed out, there is no controversy, chicken jerky treats have been making dogs ill and killing them for years. Nearly all chicken jerky treats come from China, even the expensive "high end" ones at fancy stores. Read the fine print on all bags before purchase and keep yourself informed; I stopped buying chicken jerky treats for my dog years ago. Not going to chance it.
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Tue Mar 20, '12 6:20am PST 
Not all of them them come from China, and most expensive ones are made in the US and they are safe (well, safer at least). No high-end pet food store I frequent sells ANYTHING made in China, not Dogswell, and certainly not Canyon Creek.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2