GO!

not all grain free is created equal

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Einstein

Purred: Thu Mar 15, '12 9:30am PST 
I work at a pet supplies store, so I spend a lot of time dealing with questions about pet food. I just wanted to point out that I've noticed something about grain free dry foods. The latest trend in cat food is grain free (which is good!) however, not all grain free foods are created equally. For example, Science Diet recently came out with a new grain free food. I was intrigued so I picked up a bag and looked at the ingredients. Yes, chicken was the first ingredient, BUT there was not chicken meal and there were plenty of the same carb loaded, cost efficient ingredients that are in their normal Science Diet foods. Just beware of grain free foods. This new Science Diet food claims to be grain free and yes, it seems to be, but there's not much meat in it at all and there can still be lots of carbs and crap without the grains. Buyer beware!!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Mar 15, '12 12:11pm PST 
Thank you so much for this post Einstein! GREAT advice. There are many grain free foods with less than desirable ingredients. But Science Diet is on a mission lately to try and fool people into thinking they are becoming a better food. pfft, pigs will fly when that happens. big laugh
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Thu Mar 15, '12 12:57pm PST 
Science Diet fails in all it's attempts to compete. They want the price point that premium foods command, but they don't want to spend the money to do it. Lazy.
[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Thu Mar 15, '12 1:33pm PST 
Here are the ingredients, way too much potato stuff, in my opinion, just fillers, and at the same time, calling it grain free. Just like some pet food companies starting calling it "maize", mol, maize, is, corn.
Figured they would fool the public with that one, mol, mol, mol. laugh out loud

Still gosh darn amazes me, that by calling it "prescription diet" and being sold by vets only, that people are fooled into thinking, their is some magical formula, or there is medicine in there. Its still ingredients, ya have to look at the ingredients, mol. big laugh

Chicken, Pea Protein Concentrate, Potato Starch, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat, Dried Potato, Chicken Meal, Meat Protein Isolate, Dried Beet Pulp, Powdered Cellulose, Flaxseed, Chicken Liver Flavor, Lactic Acid, Cranberries, Apples, Peas, Carrots, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Broccoli, Calcium Sulfate, Cysteine, Iodized Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Potassium Chloride, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Mar 15, '12 1:48pm PST 
I tried to look up meat protein isolate and can't even find what it is!! confused
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Thu Mar 15, '12 2:39pm PST 
Cruiser, I totally agree on the "prescription" diet thing. I don't think they should be allowed to use that word on food. It's intentionally deceptive and misleading! It makes me angry that because of marketing gimmicks, people with good intentions who love their cats mistakenly believe they are feeding the best food, when really they're just spending extra money for inferior ingredients. Maddening!
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Thu Mar 15, '12 3:59pm PST 
Agreed...you will also notice with these companies jumping on the grain free band wagon, that the food contains ALOT of potato. This raises the cats glycemic index. Why oh why cannot someone make an AFFORDABLE grain free simple cat food with no grains, fruits, vegies, or potato!!!!
Sorry just venting, so frustrating!!!shrug
Oh and can I add, NO CARAGEENAN, and NO BPA in the can lining!!!
[notify]

Einstein

Purred: Thu Mar 15, '12 8:33pm PST 
watch out for sorghum as well. it is similar to corn. i know eukanuba uses it in their dog foods to try to fool people because they probably don't know what it is.
[notify]

QGM- Harlequin- (Striped- Seven)

I am a show- champion!

Purred: Thu Mar 15, '12 10:07pm PST 
I looked it up, and apparently meat protein isolate is meat removed from bones by a heating process (can't find any more detail.) The part that really worries me is the word "meat" because they don't tell you what type of meat so it could be anything!
I am also not sure what exactly "Chicken liver flavor" is as an ingredient.

I also noticed it lists powdered cellulose, which is basically sawdust (wood pulp.) Yum. confused
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Mar 16, '12 9:57am PST 
Why don't they just call it "pink slime" then? That's probably what it is!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3