GO!

Fancy Feast Classics

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Pepper

"Queen of- Sherwood Forest"

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 6:04am PST 
Since Pepper's started eating all wet, I've been looking for ways to keep her food budget in "reasonable" territory. Last week, I purchased a couple Fancy Feast classic feast cans at the store to try them out - Cod/Sole, Beef, Chicken - thinking I could combine feeding the cheaper FancyFeast with her favorites (Before Grain, Spot's Stew) to keep costs down.

Luckily, she really seems to enjoy Fancy Feast, so I've been feeding a can about every other day or so to supplement her more regular feedings of Merrick/Spot's Stew.

I still am challenged to think of anything I can buy in the grocery store as "good pet food", particularly with some of the horror stories I've heard re: Purina brands. Any tips/experience you kitties can offer? If Fancy Feast isn't a good low cost part of a varied diet, any suggestions?

*I can't feed raw due to people in my family with immunosupressed systems (transplants/etc), so that's sadly not an option.
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 6:13am PST 
Do you have a Petsmart near you? Their Authority brand canned food is actually pretty decent for the price (currently 47 cents for a 6 ounce can in some varieties, and 70 cents a can for others). Check out the pate ones, I don't think they have any by-products in them.
[notify]

Pepper

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 6:25am PST 
Yes, we do have a Petsmart! Actually, I can probably get just about anything that's suggested -- we have TONS of pet supply shops, ranging from the big ones (Petco, Petsmart), smaller franchises (Pet Supplies Plus), to small mom/pop (our local holistic pet store). I can pick up a can or two of Authority tomorrow to try it out big grin

Edited by author Thu Mar 1, '12 6:26am PST

[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 6:51am PST 
I do the same thing Pepper. I buy the Fancy Feast classics (excluding the fish varieties) for Hunter. He loves it. Problem is, he will eat it over the more healthier foods I buy for him. He gets the fancy feast for breakfast, and I give him the better foods for dinner.

It may not be the best food for Hunter, but its better than dry. Thats the way I look at it. Its cheap, he loves it, and he is getting the moisture he needs.

He also gets Natures Variety, Addiction, and Merrick BG.

Keep up the good work! way to go
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 6:58am PST 
That's great! They have a variety of flavors like catfish (!) and beef pate. It's not the top of the line (and I could suggest any number of those!) but it's a good value for the price. Hope he likes it! smile
[notify]

Pepper

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 7:22am PST 
Hunter, Pepper LOVED the Addiction can I bought for her. It was rabbit and blueberries, I think?

Only problem? It drove our dogs INSANO with excitement because of the yummy smells and they wouldn't stop pestering her! So no more addiction right now .... :p
[notify]

Stinkers Finn Franscis

Singing No- Worries, About a- thing!

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 10:37am PST 
Surprisingly, Fancy Feast Classic and Friskies Pate forms, are actually all grain-free. So, they may still be "grocery store pet food" but they are decent.

I buy fancy feast for my boys, and they absolutely love it too! I buy the big 24 packs at Walmart for like $13. I got both the Seafood and Beef flavors. They love both of them. big grin
[notify]

Wallace - My Little- Angel

The A-durable- Wallace

Purred: Sat Mar 3, '12 5:15pm PST 
I do the same thing. I used to feed about a can of "great" wet per day but allowed them to snack on dry the rest of the day. Problem was, Wallace preferred the dry and wouldn't even finish his wet food. I can't afford all great quality wet food, but I have come to the point that I want to completely cut out the dry so I buy the Fancy Feast Classics (only Classics because the Elegant Medleys have gluten in them etc) in the 24 packs and they have those to help balance the budget. It's better quality than other "grocery store" cat foods, but is fairly priced so I think it evens out.

On a side note, I was in Wal*Mart today buying more FF and I happened to walk past the dog food area and I saw an organic canned food brand for dogs! On the one hand, of course I'm happy they are starting to get better quality food in there for dogs, but on the other hand I am a little miffed that they don't have any option like that for kitties. Here's hoping something like that comes soon!
[notify]

Mocha

Purred: Sun Mar 4, '12 12:28am PST 
For my guys, my rotation is:
Friskies (Turkey & Giblets, Mixed Grill, Poultry Platter)
Wellness (Turkey, Chicken)
Fancy Feast Classics (Kitten, Chicken, Turkey)
Before Grain (Chicken, Turkey, Quail)
Petsmart Authority Brand (Various flavors)

The bulk of their diet is actually Friskies since Mocha is on a special diet for her IHC (can't have acidifiers, or fish). I try and rotate in the good stuff as much as I can, but feeding three cats all wet with one of them a growing kitten - it gets freakishly expensive.

When I get back from taking Mocha to Oregon for her radiation treatment, the other two cats will go on a primarily raw diet, but Mocha will remain on the wet. In that case, I'll probably be feeding mostly Before Grain and Wellness.

I, personally, don't see any issue with having the bulk of their diet as Friskies as I feel it's a HUGE improvement over kibble. I do hold onto the labels for a few weeks, though, due to the rash of recalls in the last few years, but I do that with all of my animals and their food!
[notify]

Pepper

Purred: Mon Mar 5, '12 8:55am PST 
Thanks for the recommendation, Gummi! We got some Authority this weekend to try out and Pepper ADORES it! And it's actually cheaper than Fancy Feast :p

So, right now, our rotation looks like:

Before Grain
Authority
Fancy Feast Classics (if on sale, for a good price)
Spot's Stew

She is one happy cat big grin
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2