GO!

Chicken Gizzards

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Gracie

Nap Time Yet?

Purred: Thu Dec 22, '11 4:21am PST 
I have read about giving cats gizzards for oral health so I bought some for Gracie. It took a bit for her to try a piece but she finally did and liked it. My question is, how often should I give her these? I cut them up in small pieces since she's small and her mouth is little. smile Thank you!
[notify]

Kosuteh

Biting means I- love you..- right?

Purred: Thu Dec 22, '11 11:48am PST 
The folks in the raw forum are the experts. They would be able to tell you for sure.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Thu Dec 22, '11 4:59pm PST 
Gizzards are really great because not only are they good for oral health, but they are full of taurine which is an essential amino acid for cats.

That being said, they are not a complete diet in and of themselves, whereas whatever you are feeding regularly is. You will throw off the overall nutrient balance of a cat's diet by feeding only a muscle meat if you do it too often, but IMHO, you are safe in giving her a gizzard or two every day.

I have to add though, if you are feeding kibble, don't feed raw meat within 10 to 12 hours after doing so because of the different rates of digestion between dry food and raw. You are fine with canned though since both canned and raw move through the digestive tract at about the same rate.

Purrs, and I'm glad she likes her gizzards!
Shade
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Dec 23, '11 11:35am PST 
Excellent post Shade, and I just want to add one more thing. To get the optimal effect for her teeth, don't cut the gizzards too small. You may need to work up to bigger pieces as she builds her jaw strength, but you definitely need them big enough that she has to gnaw on them to help clean her teeth. Good luck!
[notify]