GO!

Addiction Canned and Evangers

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zora

I want it now.

Purred: Fri Jul 8, '11 9:32am PST 
I just read on itchmo that Addiction canned is being made by Evangers which gives me pause in light of their FDA warnings.

http://itchmoforums.com/cat-food-experiences-by-brand/addiction- cat-food-t1268.30.html

My cats LOVE this food and are doing really well on it. They also eat Nature's Instinct Duck and Rabbit (even though I know the rabbit is sourced from China). But now, in light of this...I need some viable canned alternatives. They've tried wellness and it didn't agree with one of them. One of them can't tolerate venison. They don't eat chicken. I've tried raw with them and that's a no go. So I would like some alternate thoughts on canned that might offer novel proteins. Or thoughts on Evangers now canning Addiction. YIKES.
[notify]

Olivia

Adore me - OR ELSE!

Purred: Fri Jul 8, '11 11:23am PST 
ICK! I didn't realize that about Addiction! That's a shame because my cats always loved their canned food and still get it occasionally now that they're on raw. Oh, well - no more of that for them. I don't trust Evanger's at all anymore. frown
[notify]

Nellie

cause thats what- i am a princess

Purred: Fri Jul 8, '11 12:09pm PST 
mom tried evangers us once and we disliked so much. we just sniffed and walked away. we like fancy feast classic and purina pro plan.
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Fri Jul 8, '11 4:25pm PST 
Oh ICK is right! Thanks for telling us. Blech! I wish they would make these things more easy to find out. But of course not.shrug
[notify]

AnnaBelle

Supervisor cat - is not amused.

Purred: Fri Jul 8, '11 4:48pm PST 
does anyone have any links to documented problems with this company? so far all I can find are the roomers on that ichimo site, but no facts. before we tar and feather them..it would be good to see some more info. I cant find them in the news...anywhwere, but maybe Im missing something,.
[notify]

Lucy

Crazy like a- fox...

Purred: Fri Jul 8, '11 8:00pm PST 
Agreed -- I really like Addiction, and I'd like more confirmation before I dump them.
[notify]

Lacey

Purred: Fri Jul 8, '11 8:29pm PST 
Here is the FDA warning on the Evanger's issue but if your kitty is doing well on Addiction, I'd say don't dump them because of Evanger's. I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with Addiction. FDA Evanger's warning.

Until you hear of something that's cause for alarm, you may want to stick with them for now if they're doing fine on it.
[notify]

Lucy

Crazy like a- fox...

Purred: Sat Jul 9, '11 1:19am PST 
Hmm, the Evanger's warning letter sounds like a case of mislabeling, not contamination.
[notify]

Lacey

Purred: Sat Jul 9, '11 9:03am PST 
It is actually. But I do know they've had problems before. They've been warned for several violations from the FDA before. Lucy I think I mentioned it in one of my newsletters within the last two months. Do you remember that? I'd have to go back and find it but will have to do that sometime this weekend. big grin
[notify]

Zora

I want it now.

Purred: Sun Jul 10, '11 12:56pm PST 
This is the response I got from Addiction when I asked about it.
Hi Sandy-

Thanks for contacting us. It is true that our foods are manufactured at the Evanger's facility, however we oversee that process and provide our own ingredients and formulations. The complaints regarding Evangers from the FDA do not affect our food manufacturing process. We are very particular about what goes into our food and purchase all of our own ingredients for our foods, so I can assure you that the FDA claims will not affect how our foods are made. We are a small, international company founded by a holistic vet. We work hard to formulate our foods and are very particular about the processing our foods go to. We send representatives from Addiction to our manufacturers to ensure that they are complying with our specific directions for all of our canned foods.

I hope this helps. I know how hard it is to find companies that you feel comfortable with. I can also assure you that we are in no danger of selling out to any large conglomerates. Please let me know if you need anything else and thank you for your feedback.

While I want to believe Addiction...and I do think they make a good food...it seems the folks at Evangers are kind of shady.

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/the-charges-agai nst-evangers-pet-food-.html

And these are some of Evangers other documented issues going back to 2008.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2009/06/fda_evangers.ht ml
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2