GO!

I have food allergies, need new food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tosca- Biscotti

Birds beware

Purred: Sat Jun 11, '11 11:19pm PST 
We just found out I have food allergies and have to find new food. Mommy has a very short list of options but was hoping my kitty friends could give me some more options.

Here is the list of foods I'm allergic to:
Pork
Venison
Eggs
Corn
White Potato
Flax Seed
Tuna
Cod
Flander
Haddock
Shrimp

I have found flavors in the following brands but still would like more options. Some of these I've never heard of and some I've heard of but don't know much about:
Newman's Own
Canine Caviar
Avoderm
Evangers
Spot's Stew
Performatrin
PetGuard
Petite Cuisine
Wysong
Soulistic

Thanks for your help!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jun 12, '11 6:57am PST 
RAW food is also an option smile Homemeade raw is best since your Human controls what ingredients goes into the mix. Maybe you could even do a pre-mix with the raw meat of your choice thinking I don't know if a pre-mix such as TC Instincts contains any allergy inredients, though. You'd have to check the pre-mix company web stie for info. There are a few brands out there.

Short of that, commerical food is good if you can find one that doesn't contain any of the ingredients you are allergic to. That might be hard since lots of foods contain potatos or eggs or some potential allergen shrug

Here are the web sites for the possible foods you listed:

Soulistic
Wysong
Canine Caviar
Avoderm
Evangers
Petguard
Newman's Own
Halo Spot's Stew
Performatrin
Petite Cuisine

Look at the web sites to see product info and where to buy smile Some are sold only in specialty non-chain pet stores, others are only found in certain big chain pet stores.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Jun 12, '11 7:10am PST 
How did you find out, what ingredients, you are allergic too? wave big grin way to go
[notify]

Nellie

cause thats what- i am a princess

Purred: Sun Jun 12, '11 8:41am PST 
natures variety dosent have any potato in it and they also now have an allergy formula. so maybe u can try that one.
[notify]

Olivia

Adore me - OR ELSE!

Purred: Sun Jun 12, '11 11:43am PST 
Of the brands you mentioned you can eat, I'd suggest Newman's Own, Canine Caviar, Avoderm, Spot's Stew, Pet Guard, and Wysong.

Evanger's has had a lot of issues - I would NOT feed that. Not familiar with Performatrin - I'd need to look at the ingredient list and what the parent company was before I'd feel comfortable with recommending it. Same with Petite Cuisine.

Soulistic I don't care for, either - some months ago, I had picked up a couple of the cans and also a few of the pouches because I was at Petco buying shampoo, (my cats and dogs are on a raw diet so I don't go in to Petco much anymore) and saw them on sale and thought I'd pick up a few just to have on hand to use as treats. (I give each cat a treat of a few spoonfuls of grain free canned food maybe twice a week.)
All three cats ate the food readily (though not eagerly) and all three vomited explosively within moments. A few days later I tried a different flavor, just to see what would happen, and got the same result. I tossed the remaining cans out (wasn't even comfortable donating them to the animal shelter). My cats have never been vomiters, and eat a variety of other brands of canned food (though they only get small amounts as treats now, they are all brands I used to feed regularly when I fed an all-canned food diet) on a regular basis. I'm not sure what was in the Soulistic that did not agree with them, but that was my one and only experience with that food, and it was not positive. I'm not saying the food was bad or the brand untrustworthy, but I did find it rather bizarre that this food would cause an identical reaction in all three of my cats so quickly after they consumed even a small amount of it. I was NOT impressed.
[notify]

Tosca- Biscotti

Birds beware

Purred: Sun Jun 12, '11 11:49am PST 
Hi Bump, I had allergy testing done. They drew some blood and sent it off to have it tested. I have 24 allergies, plus all the food allergies listed above.

We are considering raw food. We wanted to check out all the conventional foods first. See if we could find some canned food that we like that is healthy and no by-products, etc. I like raw chicken, but I don't like Nature's Variety raw. There aren't many options in town. Mommy wants to make sure we have some variety so we don't get bored. She even found on one website raw ground mouse! I'm thinking we need to try that! way to go
[notify]

Olivia

Adore me - OR ELSE!

Purred: Sun Jun 12, '11 12:17pm PST 
Hey, Tosca! Nice to hear about more and more people who are interested in at least exploring a raw diet. Often it is people such as yourself with kitties who have allergies and have been through an exhausting ordeal of trying to find foods that won't trigger their cat's allergies but that are also made by a reputable company, contain no (or a bare minimum of) species inappropriate ingredients, no harmful preservatives or vitamin derivatives (ethoxyquin, BHA, BHT, menadione, etc.) and finally just get fed up and go raw. Of course, it's also beneficial for cats without allergies, but can be a godsend for those with allergies or food intolerances.

However, I certainly can understand your desire to at least try to find some canned foods that Tosca can eat - and I think you have some solid choices available to you from the homework you've already done. Any of the ones I listed in my last post that were taken from your original list are ones I would feel perfectly comfortable feeding to my cats based on my present knowledge of species-appropriate feline nutrition, the ingredients therein, the company's history, parent company, etc. None of them are what I would necessary consider "ideal" because my research and common sense tell me that as obligate carnivores cats don't need and can ineffectively metabolize carbohydrates, for example. Yet there have been no recent recalls of any of these, and I was always pleased with the foods when I fed them, and my cats liked them.

I sure hope you can find some readily available options that will work for Tosca - if not, and you need help with raw, let us know!

Edited by author Sun Jun 12, '11 12:17pm PST

[notify]

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Purred: Sun Jun 12, '11 1:28pm PST 
Hi Tosca,

Have you looked at Nature's Variety Instinct canned? It’s grain-free and they have lamb, rabbit and duck. You could also try the Evo 95% duck, which is also grain-free and available in larger cans, which tend to be more economical. Another brand you might want to check out is the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet -- they have a duck formula and it’s also grain-free.

Do you have a holistic vet in your area? They may have some suggestions on how to treat the allergies, such as acupuncture. It might be worth looking into if you can.

I hope this helps!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Jun 12, '11 1:34pm PST 
I have allergies so we went raw, but Pookie has listed some really great options there that mom would be comfortable feeding if I was on canned. You just have to be extra careful and read ingredient lists very carefully! Mom also wrote an article about allergies and raw if you're interested in our story: http://www.ibdkitties.net/Allergiesandraw.html

Good luck!
[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Sun Jun 12, '11 1:41pm PST 
Hi Tosca,

Lucy had the same blood allergy test 3 years ago and it really saved her life. She had over 30 food and environmental allergies. We had the option of trying the allergy shots or trying Atopica (aka Cyclosporine) to try to help with the environmental allergies. We chose to go with Atopica and that medication made a huge, positive difference in Lucy's itchy skin and lesions. Just another option you might want to consider.

It looks like you have a good list of canned foods to try. I'm not a huge fan of Evangers; as the other poster mentioned, they've had some issues over the years. Plus, their cans look really gross and dingy on the inside, in my opinion. When Lucy was really sick with her allergies, I considered trying raw as so many have had really good results. Unfortunately, Lucy is severely allergic to eggs, like you, and I had a difficult time finding pre-made raw that didn't contain eggs or one of her other allergens.

This was a few years ago so things might have changed. Good luck, please keep us posted on the allergy shots and your results if that is the way you end up going.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2