GO!

Doesn't really eat the Bland Diet

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Ninja

teenage mutant- ninja kitty

Purred: Tue Oct 12, '10 6:39pm PST 
So, my cat Ninja, was placed on a bland diet to help with digestive problems about 2 weeks ago. The vet gave us some canned Hill's Feline I/D and some type of fancy Purina dry food. The first week he ate it, he seemed fine except that he only went #2 3 times in a week. I was worried he was getting constipated. Since he seemed better, I decided to go back and give him his old food. I felt bad - keeping him from the food he likes and making him eat this other stuff that he clearly doesn't like. Big mistake. Big diarrhea/puking episode last night. Back on the bland food that he won't eat.

Keep in mind, he's acting completely normal - playing, drinking water, using the litterbox. The vet had run blood tests and stool tests and everything is normal, they just figure he's allergic to something in the food. And I've tried before to give him a better quality food than I had (Halo, Wellness Core). He either wouldn't eat it or something in it made him cough/wheeze. So we always went back to the old Purina ONE, which he loves, even though he usually pukes it up (and I've tried to prevent gorging as well, by feeding him smaller, frequent amounts).

AND, I can't feed him a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice because he doesn't touch people food. EVER! Believe me, I've tried. I want to make sure he eats and isn't hungry, but I don't want him to eat junk. But its the junk that he loves to eat!

I guess I'm just going to have to call the vet tomorrow for more ideas, but has anyone ever had this problem with their cats???
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Tue Oct 12, '10 7:38pm PST 
Hi Ninja, I'm wondering what other kinds of foods you tried besides Wellness and Halo? Here's the thing: Science Diet from Hills and Purina are terrible foods and contain so many grains it's a wonder that any cat can eat it. Grains can cause a lot of allergies and GI problems, including your Purina One! Cats DO NOT need grains in their diets, they are obligate carnivores. They need meat and not all kinds of dyes, gluten, food by products, etc. Are you only on a dry diet? I think that would be part of your problem. Dry food has absolutely no moisture in it and can irritate the GI tract a lot. I'd like you to take a look at my website and read up on GI diseases, www.ibdkitties.net. If you click on the commercial food link, you'll see a long list of grain free foods. Both canned and dry but I'd like to see you try something that's grain free, low carb, low fat and high protein. Like Nature's Variety, Merrick, Evo, Natural Balance. Any of those. You really need a more consistent and better diet and that may only help part of the problem so tell your momma not to give up on it if you don't like it right away. There's a link at the top of that page on how to slowly switch foods so you gradually eat the new stuff. Trust me, this is worth doing. You may even want to consider doing a raw diet. Let me know if you have any questions okay? way to go
[notify]

Ninja

Purred: Wed Oct 13, '10 6:27am PST 
Thanks for the info. Your website looks really informative, I'll have to take a look later on. Ninja east usually a little canned food in the morning and has dry the rest of the day (and of course, plenty of water).

I think part of what caused this stomach upset in the first place is that I was trying to change his diet too fast - I think that may have upset everything. He's 3 1/2 and has been eating Fancy Feast canned and Purina ONE dry since he was a kitten, with no real issues...maybe the occasional puke if he ate too fast. His #2 was always normal looking, just really smelly (and the smell is what made me want to change him to a better quality food).

I think I'm going to have to continue him on this bland diet for another week or two to make sure things settle down and then check with the vet about switching him over to something better for him.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Oct 13, '10 8:24am PST 
Keep in mind that most vets (although some are coming around now) will sell you their junky brands like Science Diet because they get paid to do that. They really push it on people and claim it's healthier. I agree with tapering him off but what you should do is buy a better quality food and add a teaspoon of it with each meal to the science diet and keep adding more until that's all he's eating is the good stuff. This way, it doesn't shock his system and he's eating better food. You might want to think about giving him a probiotic like Eaglepack Transition Solution. It's a chicken flavored powder and there have been many kitties here on Catster that have used it and it worked fantastic. It's a mild probiotic and gives them some healthy flora and bacteria which settles everything down in the stomach and bowels. Don't give the FortiFlora stuff from the vet, it's got saturated animal fat which isn't healthy at all.
[notify]

Ninja

Purred: Thu Oct 14, '10 10:01am PST 
My vet is giving me another type of bland food to try, although, I'm going to look for that Eagle Pack stuff at a local pet store. If this bland diet can work, once I transition him back to a normal food, I think I'm going to try to go grain free. Do you know if there's a difference between the green label and the pink label?
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Oct 14, '10 11:32am PST 
I would go with the green label one first and use that for awhile, say a couple of months. You're only going to use it occasionally after the initial couple of weeks. The pink one is more for kitties with severe stomach issues that need constant probiotics.
[notify]

Smithwick

Tigger is my- favorite!

Purred: Fri Oct 15, '10 1:39pm PST 
Eagle Pack is AWESOME! Alex helped Smithwick with his tummy, and that stuff really helped him. He was very gassy, and the Eagle Pack calmed his tummy. I couldn't find it at a store I got it online, it is about $3.75 a bottle - Alex has a link to it on the site. Feel better!
[notify]

Ninja

Purred: Sat Oct 16, '10 2:34pm PST 
Ok, I stopped into my local Pet Life store and they had the pink label one, so I got that. Of course Ninja decided today he doesn't want to eat any canned food, so I'll have to wait and see. He had a little bit of diarrhea today. If it continues, I guess I'll have to contact the vet.

Thanks for all your help. Your website is a really great resource! Once I can get him back to normal, I'll start the transition to better, grain free food, as slow as I can manage anyway.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Sat Oct 16, '10 3:38pm PST 
I agree with Smithwick! Eagle Pack Transition is pawsome stuff!! I LOVE IT! Yum Yum Yum!!!
[notify]

Ninja

Purred: Sat Oct 16, '10 4:50pm PST 
And he's decided he wants to puke everything up today. So, none of that transition stuff made it in there yet. frown
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3