GO!

Cheapest high quality 3oz cat food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Maddie

Eight-Pound Cat- Called Fatty

Purred: Wed Sep 29, '10 8:11am PST 
With Kitty now (self)demoted to an outdoor cat cry my mom does not want to leave food in the fridge-it grosses her out. Right now we feed California Natural herring kibble and Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and some Sophisicat flavors. What are other cheap, healther foods in a smaller package?
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Sep 29, '10 10:36am PST 
You can go to this page on my website and I have listed all the grain free foods and the grain free flavors for each. There are some Fancy Feast ones listed and plenty of others.
http://ibdkitties.net/CommercialFood.html
[notify]

Nadia

Lick, lick. I- love to lick...

Purred: Thu Sep 30, '10 9:50am PST 
Wellness comes in the 3 oz size, and there are some other quality brands that come in the small size. These usually aren't cheap, but I've found Wellness to be more affordable than others. You could check online on a natural petfood site, they usually list all the options in sizes.

I also found a new food at Target called "Boots & Barkley". It's a Target store brand that comes in the 3 oz cans which are 44 cents a can. I thought it might be a generic version of Fancy Feast, but doesn't have some of the additive ingredients that bothered me in Fancy Feast: no artificial flavors, sodium nitrite or menadione. It does have by-products down in the ingredient list (some clean by-products can be okay - carnivores eat the whole animal). I feed this occasionally and my cats really like it. I've tried to find out who makes Boots & Barkley and haven't been able to yet. Just a thought about another affordable option.

Edited by author Thu Sep 30, '10 9:57am PST

[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Sep 30, '10 2:12pm PST 
Nadia I've seen that Boots & Barkley at Target. Does it have grains in it?
[notify]

Nadia

Lick, lick. I- love to lick...

Purred: Thu Sep 30, '10 2:56pm PST 
No grains or glutens in all the varieties I looked at and bought. It does have guar gum probably as a thickner, so that may add a bit of starch.

Though when I recently looked at another one of the varieties at Target, there was something in the ingredients like artificial flavors or something which the other varieties didn't have (I can't recall what it was, but it was one of the additives that wasn't in the varieties I bought thinking). But the 4 or 5 varieties I bought had no grains, glutens and none of the additives I mentioned above.

The cans all had named meat or meat products in the first few ingredients. Most did have some sort of fish and some had liver, and then by-products 4th or 5th ingredients.

It looks like a decent affordable food. They only thing that concerns me with these type foods is the quality of meat used, and if it's rendered. And I also don't want my cats to have much fish. But other than that I think it's another good canned option (though I purrsonally only feed it here and there). I just wish I could find out more about this, like who makes it...shrug

Edited by author Thu Sep 30, '10 3:11pm PST

[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sat Oct 2, '10 7:11am PST 
Thanks Nadia, I appreciate that. I'll have to see if I can find a website for it, although I think I did try to look before also and couldn't find it. I know what you mean about the quality of the meats. There are certain brands that although grain free, you can tell they aren't up to par. I'll let you know if I find out anything on who makes it. When you open the can, does the food at least look okay? You know how some foods you can tell right away that they're icky? I'm sure it is okay since you use it occasionally. I know you're momma would never feed something gross to you guys.
[notify]

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Sat Oct 2, '10 8:58am PST 
Boots & Barkley is a Target internal brand I believe. But maybe a manufacturer makes the toys for the company. For example, when you buy the Market Pantry label loaf bread, it is actually made by Sara Lee. I can do some digging around for you. I haven't yet tried those little 3 oz cans in the Boots & Barkley brand.

Edited by author Sat Oct 2, '10 9:00am PST

Maddie

Eight-Pound Cat- Called Fatty

Purred: Mon Oct 4, '10 7:48am PST 
Thank you...I'll have to try that. Market Basket's didn't look to shabby, but I'd trust a nationwide brand better, you know? I'll really like to go raw but Maddie is 13. Yes, I know it can be done, but I only live with my mom on the weekends and she's squeamish.
[notify]

Tully

The Tullster

Purred: Mon Oct 4, '10 11:23am PST 
Thanks for mentioning the "Boots and Barkley" brand, I know Nadia's Mom does her homework when it comes to cat food, so we might give that a try. We have ultra picky eaters in our house when it comes to wet food, so we are always up for trying new things, as long as it has reasonably healthy ingredients way to go
[notify]

Purred: Sun Sep 23, '12 10:23pm PST 
Nadia, why do you not want your cat too much fish. My vet (a natural vet that does accupuncture and uses chinese herbs. Shes the best in northern CA) said that cats' natural food is fish and other non-hot meat (chicken, not beef or lamb) and some grains. I'm new to this group, but I noticed everyone seems to beware that grains are not part of a cats natural diet. When I compared the Boots and Barkley canned food to Fancy Feast, the following:
B&B's had less moisture (I think that's good, however the juice is clear), 2% more protein 13 % aguar gum, nd no grain. Yes, there are meat-by-products.
FF has meat broth 1st ingredient) and meat-by-products(also) wheat gluten and less protein 11%, corn starch and artificial stuff.

Does anyone else have any input??

FYI: here's what I found out about guar gum:

Effects
Guar gum, because it is a water-soluble fiber, can have a laxative effect on many who consume it. Although it can help promote a healthy colon and those suffering from constipation or someone who is looking to regulate their bowel movements, it can become an uncomfortable side effect from consuming a product containing guar gum.

Warning
Because of its laxative effect, guar gum was once used in many diet and weight-loss over-the-counter products. However, due to significant intestinal distress and dangerous blockages, guar gum is no longer approved for use in these products. Guar gum also absorbs liquid creating the feeling of being full which can be good for losing weight, but can also be a risky strain on the digestive system.

My husband thinks Fancy Feast is good food for my cats. He's wrong. So, when I feed them, they get a little higher quality food. kitty
[notify]