GO!

Food for cat with Urinary Problems

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rodney

PLAY PLAY PLAY

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 8:15am PST 
Hi there. This is gonna be a bit of a long story so i apologize now.
My two cats have been eating NOW Grain Free Turkey Formula (dry) and GO Natural canned for quite some time now and we thought everything was great. New Year's Eve Rodney started screaming every time he tried to use the litter box so we called the er vet. Turned out he had stones and crystals. After surgery and what not we asked what caused the stones. The vet was very nice and said that it could be the food. When we told her what we were feeding she actually doubted the food as a cause and said that sometimes, as in humans, these things just happen.
She told us to try feeding some of their food to see if it helps and so we can rule out food, completely, as a problem.
She gave us Medi Cal Urinary SO dry to feed as well as Hills Prescription c/d. I know wet only is better but our guys only like it mixed with a few kibbles...weird i know.
Anyway, we have a problem feeding the Hills because the ingredients are horrible and anytime Rodney eats the Medi Cal he throws up.
Basically, we are torn as what to do. Should we even try the Hills dry formula and see if he likes it better or should we stick to what we have been feeding?
Our vet is very good, she openly said that Hill's isnt the best food but it does help alot of cats who have urinary problems. Our main problem is that our other cat, Sabre, is allergic to grain and he needs to be on a grain free diet, which Hill's and Medi Cal dont offer. Are there any grain free foods that are good for urinary problems?
We are in a fairly isolated town in Northern Ontario so we dont get alot of options to choose from. Basically, Taste of the Wild, Natural Balance and the GO and NOW Products are what is available but we are open to ordering online.
Thanks in advance for your help.
[notify]

Mason

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 9:50am PST 
If you are up to ordering online, Weruva is a great canned food for cats with urinary problems. It has low levels of calcium, magnesium and phosphorus and has a lot of moisture. My male cat has a urine pH of 8.0 and crystals. After a month of being on this food, with a little bit of Purina One Urinary Dry (although I think he's allergic because he has started developing chin acne), his pH dropped to 7.0. You will also want to stay away from fish flavors because those tend to have higher amounts of minerals, although Weruva's fish varieties are still low. Good Luck!
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 10:20am PST 
Rodney please read this site
http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html
Your cat needs to be on an all wet diet. You are right about the ingredients of the prescription food it is not appropriate and will only cause other problems in the long run. Wellness grain free, orEvo cat and kitten wet foods are good alternatives. The Food that you are feeding does contain alot of fruits and vegies, you need to find a food that does not contain these things.
I would not be feeding the foods that you have but try and find alternative like the ones I listed, or for the time being feed the wet of the vet formula this will help dissolve the crystals for now, but then you can switch to a grain free high protein wet diet. Does your vet sell the Royal canine vet formula wet? this is better than the hill's brand for what it is.
Let us know how it goes. smile
[notify]

Rodney

PLAY PLAY PLAY

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 10:56am PST 
Yes they do sell the royal canin wet food, but like i said it is not grain free and our other kitty needs grain free. is the wervua grain free? i have tried feeding all wet before but they would never touch it until i mixed a few kibbles in. Usually i mix about 10-15 kibbles in a can of wet food just so they will eat it.
the way our cats get fed now: in the morning i open a can of wet, mix in the 10-15 kibbles and split it between the two bowls. same in the evening. Do i really need to cut out the 15 kibbles?
[notify]

Rodney

PLAY PLAY PLAY

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 10:58am PST 
oh and we still have sabre on the now kibble and go wet, but it is getting harder to watch them and make sure they arent eating the other's food.
[notify]

Sussie Q- (pronounced- Suzzie Q)

Cute & cuddly,- loved & missed.

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 11:01am PST 
Ok so I went to petco last night to browse the wet food. They have a sale on wellness and some other top quality foods like buy two get one free buy 10 get 2 free kind of deals. These were ones I found while researching yesterday online after someone sent me some info. I would say try grain free mixed with water and see how it go and pick a non fish one. Wellness has chicken and turkey which were fish free and the other one I kind of want to check out but they did not have was the EVO people keep talking about but I found a local place that sells it to check it out in store and see its prices. Also check out this link,

http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/f/foodurinaryhlth.htm

and

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2243+2244&aid=2729 (very informative!)
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 2:33pm PST 
Having been thu this twice, I can tell you, Hills Science Diet C/D or S/D
DOES NOT WORK. It has grains in it, grains are one cause of crystals. It also has exythoquin, which I can't spell, in it. big grin

What you want to avoid is corn, corn gluten, wheat, wheat gluten, wheat flour, oats and barley, anything that is a grain. big grin

With a cat that is prone to crystals or bladder infections, it is imperative you increase their water intake, to keep them flushed out. You do this by mixing their wet meal, with water, so it is real soupy. If the cat only gets dry, you can use baby food, Beachnut chicken or turkey ONLY. Mix one teaspoon baby food, with water, so it is like a broth, twice a day.

Other causes of crystals, besides the food, is not enough water intake, dirty cat boxes, they should be picked every day, bedded deep, and as many cat boxes as there are cats, and should be placed in a quiet out of they way area, where there is not alot of traffic or commotion. Stress in the house hold, this is another big factor. No yelling, no fighting, not alot of commotion, no being picked on by other pets or human people. Use spring water/bottled water, tap water has too many minerals in it. Place several bowls of water thru out the house and/or get the drinking fountain.

As far as each cat getting something different, mine get the same food, but different amounts, and Prowler gets wet food mixed with water. They get fed in their carriers. Nobody comes out, until they have all finished. Its a good way to make sure they only get what they are supposed to get, and if one is not eating, and, a good way to teach them to walk right in their carriers. Heck, Bumpurr knocks cats down, rushing to get into his carrier at feeding time.

It could be one thing, it could be a combo of two or more things.

Best of luck. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Here is a great site to read.

http://www.catinfo.org/

http://www.catnutrition.org/inde x.php
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 11:39pm PST 
Although the cooking process kills bacteria in the ingredients, the final product can pick up more bacteria during the subsequent drying, coating, and packaging process. Some experts warn that getting dry food wet can allow the bacteria on the surface to multiply and make pets sick. Do not mix dry food with water, milk, canned food, or other liquids.
Unless of course they eat this food within a half hour that way bacteria does not get a chance to reproduce.
I would just try and give less of the kibble and more of the wet over a few weeks. Your right your other cats should not eat prescription food, but you would only have to give this wet food for a couple of weeeks, then you could switch to a higher protein wet food. Also the points that Bumpurr made are good, in that Urinary problems can happen from stress, and dirty litter boxes too. Though feeding an appropriate diet will be the best defence. I wish I could remember the exact name of this food but it is made by Royal Canin, but the name on the can is somethinglike Vetrinary special diet, or something like that. This is better than the hills. Male cats can get blocked when they have crystals and this can be life threatning, so you really want to make sure they get dissolved quickly. Cats do not drink enough water when they are fed an all dry diet, so they are in a constant state of dehydration, and they also concentrate their urine. Have you heard of Wellness, or Evo brands of food?
Sorry if I am rambling, its late I just got home from work smile
[notify]

Rodney

PLAY PLAY PLAY

Purred: Fri Jan 15, '10 5:27am PST 
They definetly drink alot of water. I do keep track to how much water they drink and it averages about 3 cups a day between two cats. I always throw out the food after half hour just because i do not like free feeding. Their litter boxes get cleaned twice a day and a full clean once a week. I live in an apartment and do not want to smell litter boxes so they do get cleaned regularly.
Shadow...I have heard of Wellness and Evo. The pet stores do not carry Evo but I can always order it online. As for wellness, I have tried feeding wellness, both wet and dry, and neither cat would eat it. I am not sure why but they wouldnt touch either. Oh and don't worry about rambling, i have a tendency to do that myself.
A friend of our orders Eagle Pack online and I noticed a few flavours were wheat and grain free. She let us take a couple cans and the boys seemed to like it...alot actually. We ordered a case online. They used to eat Eagle Pack dry when we lived in Winnipeg so I would be really happy if we can order it here.
Bumpurr...I am in agreement that any science diet product will not work. I actually asked the vet about all the grains because i remembered seeing on here that grains can be a cause...she did agree that grains can be a cause and normally she wouldnt recommend science diet...the only reason she did is because alot of cats with urinary problems seem to do well on it.

We are just so confused as to what we should do. We are definetly going to try the Eagle Pack when our order comes in and hopefully they continue to like it. And i did not order any fish flavourssmile
I am going to order some Evo as well to see if they like it. I can grab a couple cans of Wellness to try again but they never liked it in the past.
Shadow...is there ever an appropriate time to feed kibble? I am starting to think thyere is not. I will definetly try putting less and less kibble in the wet and see if we can wean them off that way. I know all wet is better for them so it will be tough love kitties until they eat it.

I will keep you posted as to what they like and if they crystals go away.

Oh and as for the stones...thats how we found out about the crystals. One night he just started screaming when going to the litter box so thats when we took him in. HYe had a stone half way down his urethea, as well as the crystals and infection. He had a FLUTD. Im not sure what exactly that stands for but thats what they called the surgery.
[notify]

Mason

Purred: Fri Jan 15, '10 7:19am PST 
Weruva does make grain free flavors and the ones that do have potatoes or rice count for only 2-3% of carbohydrates. They have pictures of what the food looks like on their website: www.weruva.com
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2