GO!

How much food? (Wellness Wet and Wellness Core)

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Serenity

Peaceful, Kind- and Loving to- All.

Purred: Sun Dec 7, '08 1:34pm PST 
Since I'm going to no longer allow them to have free grazing with dry food I need to make sure I'm giving my cats enough food.
Seriously, they could eat, I think like 3 cans of Wellness in one sitting-they LOVE LOVE LOVE it, I have NEVER seen them love a cat food so much-but I know they don't NEED that much, so I'm trying to figure out what I should do. Let me know if I have my amounts right.
They are each right around 9 lbs. Gil is on the lighter side of 9 lbs. and Serenity is on the heavier side of 9/10 lbs. My thought was to feed per cat:
1. 1/2 can wet food each day
2. 1/3 cup dry food per day
Is this enough?? I obviously don't want to starve my cats but the way they are with the Wellness food they will want more but not necessarily need it (espeically Serenity, she would eat CONSTANTLY, she DOES NOT have a full button) so I don't want to overfeed, especially since this food is $$$$$ I need to make sure they get what they NEED but not more so we don't break the budget! I wasn't able to get the Core dry today, the store was out of it, so I couldn't see how much they recomended for cats-if anyone has a bag and wouldn't mind checking how much they say to feed/cat around 9/10 lbs I'd REALLY appreciate it. I would think that if they are supposed to get 2/3 cup dry if that is all they are eatting but I am feeind 1/2 can wet then they should get 1/3 cup dry food but I could be totally off on that. I hope this makes sense-it's confusing to me when I read it! LOL!
My main concern is that I don't starve them or over-feed them, I want to know the right amount. smile I realize for every cat it's going to be a little different, but I can start with the recomended and up it or decress it if necessary, I just don't want to start too low and have starving cats.
Thanks!
Edit: I wanted to add, I am purchasing the 5.5 oz can of Wellness Grain Free for them. smile So they are each getting about 2.75 oz of wet each day and 1/3 cup of dry each day. (Currently Purina Hairball-YUCK!! I know, AS SOON as Petmart gets in Core I'll be getting that, Purina Hairball is all I have in the house and I can't starve them!-they should get the Core in this week-THANK GOODNESS!!) smile

Edited by author Sun Dec 7, '08 1:37pm PST

[notify]

Atrus

Fluff butt

Purred: Sun Dec 7, '08 1:46pm PST 
Without counting calories, let me try to do this in my head. If feeding one cat all canned, I think one 5.5oz of Wellness is enough for a day. If feeding all dry, 1/2 cup of kibble is all that is needed by a cat for a day. When feeding a high-protein quality food like Core, you'd probably feed a little less.

Soo... half a can seems alright, but 1/3 cup kibble seems a little much. I think 1/4 cup would be better.

So 1/2 5.5oz canned Wellness, and 1/4 cup Core kibble seems about right. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
[notify]

Kylie

Purred: Sun Dec 7, '08 3:23pm PST 
I didn't know PetSmart carried Wellness/Wellness CORE! Good to know!

I am currently feeding my cats 1/2 a can wet each and about 1/4 cup of dry (Blue Buffalo) per day. I have a variety of different types of canned, but they are all on the high end, so I would assume it is very close to that amount. I am going to switch them over to Wellness CORE, but the holistic pet store by our house has really weird hours and is closed.

Oh, and Casey is 8 lbs. and Kylie is 10 lbs... They have their own dishes, and usually stick to their own dishes, but I know that Miss Piggy Kylie is known for sneaking food from Casey's when he's not in the room!
[notify]

Prince- Citron

Single Tom!

Purred: Sun Dec 7, '08 4:38pm PST 
A nine pound cat needs about 192 calories per day.
Here are the calories in each can (5.5 oz) of Wellness
Chicken 220 (half can has 110)
Beef and Chicken 192 (half can has 96)
Beef and Salmon 196 (half can has 98)
Turkey and Salmon 181 (half can has 90.5)
Turkey 218 (half can has 109)
Chicken and Herring 189 (half can has 94.5)
CORE Chicken, Turkey, and Chicken Liver 218 (half can has 109)
CORE Salmon, Whitefish, and Herring 192 (half can has 96)
*Please note I only listed calories of the cans that are grain free*
I forgot how many calories in CORE, maybe someone else can help you with that.
[notify]

Serenity

Peaceful, Kind- and Loving to- All.

Purred: Sun Dec 7, '08 6:51pm PST 
Thank you all SO much! That has been MOST helpful! Two thoughts:
1. I want to be clear that was PetMART, not PetSMART that I got Wellness at. We have a local place called Complete PetMart and I just called it PetMart for short. red face I don't want to have anyone make an extra trip to PetSmart and not find the Wellness. Locally our PetSmart doesn't carry Wellness.
2. The calories were SO helpful!!! Where did you find those???? I looked all over the cans, maybe I missed it! I could find it on the EVO can but not the Wellness. I plan on printing out that list for easy reference because I'll never remember those numbers!! LOL! smile
Knowing the calorie count in CORE dry would be helpful, at the least I may be able to e-mail the Wellness people and find out from them. I'm sure they have that information, it may even be on their website. But it appears that feeding 1/2 can wet and a bit of CORE dry may work really well and I may need to give a little more or less dry/day depending on what their wet is for the day. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! I feel good knowing that I'm not starving my cats!! smile snoopy It just looks like so little of food, but I guess they don't need much!! smile
[notify]

Atrus

Fluff butt

Purred: Sun Dec 7, '08 7:10pm PST 
We have Complete Petmarts too!! It is not a national chain, but it is wonderful and carries many high end brands.

Wellness's website has the calories for Core, but it's per kg and I don't even know how to convert that to cups. Is it anywhere on the bag? Otherwise I'd contact them directly.

I'd also like to know where to get calories for Wellness cans, it's definitely not on the label.
[notify]

Kylie

Purred: Sun Dec 7, '08 8:47pm PST 
Ohhh....haha. I misread, sorry! I should know that PetSmart is still not with the times! smile I know that Petco carries CORE but it's so much more pricey than what I can get at a C&D's by my house. They had a special going on with a $10 off the large bag mail-in-rebate. I hope that it's still going on when I stop by tomorrow!

I am glad that you asked this question though so that I can be sure to follow the calorie intake when I make the switch. I never even thought to follow calories...!!
[notify]

Oliver

Give me food and- no one gets- hurt!

Purred: Mon Dec 8, '08 5:53am PST 
Wellness canned this is for the turkey one. Not sure if they are all the same or not. The 5.5 oz can is 218 calories. Its on their website. http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_wellness_can_turkey.html
[notify]

Prince- Citron

Single Tom!

Purred: Tue Dec 9, '08 12:30pm PST 
I found the calories from their website.

Edited by author Tue Dec 9, '08 12:36pm PST

[notify]

Prince- Citron

Single Tom!

Purred: Tue Dec 9, '08 12:44pm PST 
961 calories per cup of CORE. I could be wrong, though.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2