GO!

Fancy feast cat food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
SheaBudda

Queen of- Apartment 3B

Purred: Wed Jul 26, '06 11:32am PST 
Why are by-products in cat food bad?

My dad is a new cat owner and he purchase some fancy feast and the man in the pet store told him Fancy Feast, and brands like taht are really bad.

Help my dad out he is a first time cat owner...

He does feed me a good dry food called averoderm which is really good he was told.
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Wed Jul 26, '06 12:42pm PST 
Hi Shea. Here is a good article we found all about pet food. I think since your dad is a new pet owner, this would be good information to have.
http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/tipsforchoosing.htm

From personal experience, mom found over the years that filler is just what it says, filler. Cats will eat more of a less quality food.

We found that by using high quality foods with no filler it is easier on the litter box too. Less filler in, less filler out. Good luck!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jul 26, '06 2:02pm PST 
Http://www.catinfo.org and http://www.catnutrion.org have very good info about what felines need in their diets and why grains and by-products are bad. Felines need meat, not by-products or grains or icky things. The first few ingredients of a good food should be meat, like chicken or turkey. Not something like chicken meal or cicken by-product or a grain. Some good brands are Merrick and Wellness and Innova. Eukanuba and ProPlan and other pet store only foods are good, too -better than supermarket brands like Friskies- but still contain someby-products and grains.

Fancy Feast is ideal for diabetic felines like me because they are low-carb but for normal healthy cats, it is not a very good product.
[notify]

Chandler

Always adopt- your pet!

Purred: Mon Jul 31, '06 10:40am PST 
Likie Merlin said, try to stick to the high quality pet foods. Wysong is another great one. Wet foods tend to have less preservatives than dry but not if they are supermarket kinds like Fancy Feast and 9 lives. Even for diabetic cats, there are better brands than Fancy Feast with low carbs like any of the Wysong Gourmet flavors, i.e. Seafood, Liver, or Chicken Gourmet. These are low in phosphorus too for cats with kidney disease like me. Still, it all depends on what you will eat because a food is only good if you will eat it so try to find the best quality food that you like. Hope this helps!
[notify]

Fred

Don't hate me- because I'm- Beautiful

Purred: Mon Jul 31, '06 12:40pm PST 
I'm confused. We eat fancy feast every day...It appears to have real meat in it...Is it just the "other" stuff that you think is bad?
[notify]

Tigger

The Tigster

Purred: Mon Jul 31, '06 3:09pm PST 
Chances are it doesn't have much meat in the ingredients....do you have a list of the ingredients? I couldn't find it online....
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Mon Jul 31, '06 4:41pm PST 
By Products are not neccessarily bad. If your cat were eating food in the wild...s/he would eat by-products all the time. By products can consist of intestines, ligaments, bones, blood, etc.

http://www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1
The protein used in pet food comes from a variety of sources. When cattle, swine, chickens, lambs, or other animals are slaughtered, the choice cuts such as lean muscle tissue are trimmed away from the carcass for human consumption. However, about 50% of every food-producing animal does not get used in human foods. Whatever remains of the carcass � bones, blood, intestines, lungs, ligaments, and almost all the other parts not generally consumed by humans � is used in pet food, animal feed, and other products. These �other parts� are known as �by-products,� �meat-and-bone-meal,� or similar names on pet food labels.
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Mon Jul 31, '06 8:43pm PST 
Jell-O is a meat by-product. Think about it next time you have some jigglers. ;-)

Gizmo

I hate that- kitten.

Purred: Wed Aug 2, '06 7:51am PST 
Here's the ingredients from the "Chicken Feast in Gravy" Fancy Feast. My comments are in parenthsis and all caps so you can find them:
Chicken Broth , Chicken , Liver (WHAT ANIMAL DID THE LIVER COME FROM?) , Wheat Gluten , Meat By-Products (THESE ARE THE THINGS MENTIONED ABOVE)
, Corn Starch - Modified , Natural Flavors , Artificial Flavors (I TRY TO STEER CLEAR OF THIS, GOOD CAT FOOD DOESN'T NEED ARTIFICIAL FLAVORING)
, Tricalcium Phosphate , Salt , Soy Protein Concentrate , Titanium Dioxide Color , Potassium Chloride , Taurine , Choline Chloride , Vitamin E Supplement , Thiamine Mononitrate Vitamin B1 , Vitamin A Supplement , Ferrous Sulfate , Zinc Sulfate , Manganese Sulfate , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride Vitamin B6 , Niacin , Calcium Pantothenate , Riboflavin Supplement Vitamin B2 , Copper Sulfate , Vitamin D3 Supplement , Dicalcium Phosphate , Vitamin B12 Supplement , Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex Source of Vitamin K Activity (THIS INGREDIENT IS BEING REMOVED FROM A LOT OF PET FOODS, MAY BE HARMFUL)
, Folic Acid , Cobalt Carbonate , Potassium Iodide , Biotin
[notify]

PUNKIN POOH

ZOO KEEPER

Purred: Wed Aug 2, '06 11:21am PST 
We love Fancy Feast! Our vet told mommy that it was okay to eat it.
We just might drink less water because it is a wet food. We share 2 cans between the 3 of us a day. And mommy leaves out all of the Science Diet we can eat.
And also the Fancy Feast tends to make our poopie smell a bit stronger at times. We believe our vet though.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2