GO!

Why is there Ash in Wellness cat food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Mimi

Proud owner of- two obedient- humans

Purred: Sat Dec 3, '05 3:34pm PST 
Mroo! My mommy found that there is 6% Ash content in Wellness Kitten food which is supposed to be one of the best foods out there! Why is there Ash in here? Is Ash good for me? I don't want to get sick or cough up soot! Mommy and I are very confused and wonder if we should switch cat foods? Please help confuzed kitty!
[notify]

Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Sat Dec 3, '05 4:37pm PST 
Well, I'm confused too! I thought that Wellness was pretty good, but that ash isn't something that is good for you. You won't cough up soot but, with male cats, it can cause UTI's although I don't know what it does for female kitties.

I just checked my bag of Innova Evo and there's no ash at all. You can find a list of stores that carry it at www.naturapet.com. Felidae is another really good food that seems to be more readily available and my local feed store carries it (and they're very picky about what foods they carry).

Past that, I really don't know what to say!

~Kenya and Simone's mom
[notify]

Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Sat Dec 3, '05 4:40pm PST 
Actually, at 6 months old, you're big enough for adult cat food. At least that's what our vet said. And the people at our feed store said that Innova doesn't have kitten food because it's good for all ages. The Evo bag says "cat and kitten" food on it.

Just a thought! *mrow!*
[notify]

Mimi

Proud owner of- two obedient- humans

Purred: Sat Dec 3, '05 4:43pm PST 
Mroo! Me found this on the web to describe another brand:

ASH
When meat is cooked, ash is produced. The ash content in cat food is proportional to the amount of meat in the food. In other words, the higher the meat content, the higher the ash. However high quality meat produces less ash than low quality meat. Back to Basics uses only the highest quality meats available and, therefore, has the least ash content possible which is approximately 6 1/2%. (The only way to get lower ash content is to supplement cheap vegetable proteins)

Innova is made with raw meat, but I think it causes me to fart and the smell drives my mommy and daddy out of the house for hours to escape! I like Wellness better. It tastes yummy and I don't seem to be Farty Fartster anymore.

I guess the question is, is this explanation a good one or marketing crud? Seems Innova has no ash because the meet is not cooked.

Me so confuzed.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Sat Dec 3, '05 6:05pm PST 
You aren't really eating ashes and you won't cough up soot. To test the mineral content of food, they burn it up and measure the ash that is left. Foods that contain a lot of minerals, especially magnesium, have been linked to urinary problems. Wellness has a low ash number and it's a high quality food. It seems like a good choice to me.
[notify]

Suleiman the- Magnificat- R.I.P.

Tah, mommy ...- you must be mad!

Purred: Wed Dec 7, '05 10:01am PST 
I can't speak for the kitten food, but I just started giving my boy wellness adult canned. One of the things that impressed me was how very low the ash content is, at least on the 2 flavors I give him (turkey, beef and chicken), 1.8 which is lower than most of the commercial foods. He'd been on friskies special diet for years. I read all the ingredients in the wellness wet and wow, it's better than what I eat!
[notify]