GO!

Identifying Mau in a mixed breed

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
T'elma

Love & feed me- but don't touch- my ears!

Purred: Sat Feb 14, '09 4:49pm PST 
I suspect my female tortie is at least a little bit Egyptian Mau. If I'm reading the traits correctly, she has these unique features: 1) tummy pouch (flabby, not belly-fat) and 2) spotted skin. (I saw this when she was spayed...the skin was the color the hair was--she also has polkadotted ears when light is shown against them.

Also, she has the personality traits of being puppydog loyal to me, following me around the house determinedly; is not a lapcat, but when I sit down she immediately lays across my closest thigh; and wow, is she vocal. She talks, and if she finds a 'fuzzyball' she'll moan as she carries it upstairs to me. Very aloof with strangers, but once she gets to know them, she can be goofy. She tolerates her housemate (also a tortie, but with lynx-pointed ears), but it took a good year for her to stay in the same room with Dharma.

So, what do you think? Is my T'elma a little bit Mau?
[notify]

Camille

acrobactic

Purred: Thu Feb 26, '09 8:36am PST 
I had a cat that turned out to be an Egyptian Mau and he did have the belly flap. he was a bronze mau and he was vocal ,puppydog loyal and an absolute lovebug. The belly flap and spotted skin our total give aways,also maus can be classic they are just not shown or identified as maus but every three or fourth generation you will have classics show up. As you can tell I have done alot of research into Maus. Aizilyn&Camille
[notify]

Cassi

pay attention to- me!

Purred: Tue Mar 24, '09 8:29am PST 
My cat has many of the physical and personality characteristics of the egyptian mau such as the belly flap, green eyes with black liner around them, extreme loyalty and possessivness, chattiness, and she hates to be picked up although she is extremely affectionate. The one must have that everyone is talking about is the spots. She has spots but they are very large. she is calico but mostly white. I realize that she is most likely a mix. But from what I have read, there are no other breeds with the belly flap. Is she really an egyptian mau?
[notify]

Riley

Living the life- of Riley...

Purred: Tue Mar 24, '09 11:19pm PST 
I think my cat is an egyptian mau. She doesn't have spots but has the flap, very vocal, very loyal, doesn't liked to be picked up, but her color is mostly dark gray almost black, all the underlying hair is white/silver, strips coming out from the side of her eyes, and has green eyes. I think maybe she is mixed with something else because she doesn't have spots. She is also like a puppy dog, greets me at the door when I get home, follows me around (very casually). I don't even notice until I'm in one room for a while and notice that she is sitting somewhere nearby, keeping me in sight. I call her my little stalker. She also seems to have mid length hair. It's not exactly short but not long either.
[notify]

Monster

Must get to the- highest point!!!

Purred: Wed Mar 25, '09 4:38pm PST 
I was origionally told my cat was a bengal savannah mix...but as he got a little bigger his spots spread and got longer and more undefined, and I knew that wasn't true. I also was suspect because of his pointy not round ears. Anyway I did some research and found that he is most definately an Egyptian Mau...a classic none the less. He's the coolest cat ever, very talkative, jumps on our ceiling fan from the bed, watches out the sidelights at the front door as you leave, ad I swear has never left taht spot until I get home lol I'm not at all disappointed that I didn't get the bengal I was told he was.
[notify]

Chester- Pumpkin

Super Bababoy

Purred: Thu Jun 11, '09 8:59am PST 
I believe my cats are egyptian mau mixes. Chester has spots all over his body w/ bright green eyes, a twitching tail (it even moves when he sleeps), and a extremly musclular body. Izzy on the other hand, is completly black and white w/ green eyes, extremly small (about the size of 6-month old kitten), and is usually in one of her antisocial moods. They both make a chirping sound when they see birds and other wild animals and love warm places. My other cat Jack is all black and shares all the traits chester has (he has one powerful tail!).
Izzy and Chester came from the same breeder at the same time although Izzy is 2 weeks younger than Chester. We think they came from different mothers but the same fathers. My mom saw Chester's mother and she looked just like him but she didnt see izzy's(we think the mothers are sisters). We got Jack from a friend when he was 5 so we dont know his origion.
[notify]

Sodapop(thin- k- "Outsiders")

See me, Hear me,- Love me.......

Purred: Tue Dec 22, '09 7:43pm PST 
kitty we all have the beatle markings on our forehead and the parallel lines off our eyes, and liner...I have spots on my belly and the pouch but I have a lot of pixiebob traits too...my sisters Ani and Xiochitl also have the belly pouch....Ani eats like there's no tomorrow and Xiochitl has tabby markings beneath her black fur...wave...we also fight for the top of the kitty tree....

Edited by author Tue Dec 22, '09 7:48pm PST

[notify]

Clark

Purred: Fri Apr 2, '10 4:09pm PST 
I have been told by the vet that she thinks my Clark has Egyptian Mau in him. He's a rescue cat so we really dont know his background. I think he could be half Mau and half short haired tabby. He demonstrates all the character traits of a Mau. Very loyal, shoulder rider, loves his food, wants to be part of the family, not a lap cat, can jump super high, very active, hides his toys and then will find them again, gets annoyed if we shut doors, vocal with us if we "talk" to him.
He's got the "necklace" but it is not broken in the middle of his neck like the Mau's is. He's got a spotted belly and green eyes.
[notify]

Thomas- O'Mally

Sir Thomas- Tri-Tooth

Purred: Sun Nov 6, '11 10:32pm PST 
My Thomas is definitely a mixed breed. He was the result of my exes neighbor's Egyptian Mau show cat getting out and breeding one of my exes barn cats. We were the ones that cat her cat for her and were there the day that Thomas was born. He looks JUST like a Bronze egyptian mau, the only thing is that instead of having green eyes he has tri colored eyes. gold on the outside, green in the middle, and bright blue right next to his pupil. Very unique. I think he gets his size from his domestic cat half than the mau though... he is actually 3 1/2 feet long all stretched out and weighs 14 pounds with not an ounce of fat on him.
[notify]

Thomas- O'Mally

Sir Thomas- Tri-Tooth

Purred: Sun Nov 6, '11 10:35pm PST 
My Thomas is definitely a mixed breed. He was the result of my exes neighbor's Egyptian Mau show cat getting out and breeding one of my exes barn cats. We were the ones that cat her cat for her and were there the day that Thomas was born. He looks JUST like a Bronze egyptian mau, the only thing is that instead of having green eyes he has tri colored eyes. gold on the outside, green in the middle, and bright blue right next to his pupil. Very unique. I think he gets his size from his domestic cat half than the mau though... he is actually 3 1/2 feet long all stretched out and weighs 14 pounds with not an ounce of fat on him.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2