GO!

The pros and cons of a persian cat

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Daisy

Purred: Wed Feb 19, '14 4:40am PST 
I had always wanted a white persian cat since I was little - the chinchilla type in particular. Of course persians are well known for their laid back nature but my experience with Daisy my dream cat hasn't been a fairytail. I love her to bits but she is hard work - she requires daily grooming as well as professional grooming as she still gets knots after all my effort - her fur also gets everywhere and unless we hoover everyday the house looks a state.
[notify]

Artemis

Let me sing you- the song of my- people.

Purred: Thu Feb 20, '14 9:11pm PST 
I had a Himalayan when I was growing up. I loved her to pieces, but grooming definitely was a challenge. We used to get her a lion cut twice a year. She hated the process, but after all was said and done, she seemed to love it. She flaunted herself like she felt simply beautiful, and she loved pets so much more- easier to feel without the floof, I suppose. It also made grooming SOOOOO much easier, for us and for her. Not so many hair balls, and not so many places to keep brushed or check for mats.
[notify]

Kashi

Purred: Mon Mar 17, '14 5:59pm PST 
I had Loretta, a beautiful gray Persian and a long hair tortoise shell, both many years ago. If I could have knitted the shed fur between them...blankets for the whole tri-state!
Other problem was the litter box. Raccoon tails pick up litter and poop. I found the answer in trimming their under tail fur as short as possible. Beautiful cats but high maintenance...
[notify]

Purred: Wed Mar 19, '14 4:47pm PST 
We have a long haired cat and he does require more maintenance than the other kitties. We have had him shaved like a lion before and he loved it. Strutted his stuff forever. You just have to be sure to do brushings and take care of them.
[notify]