GO!

Introducing new kitten to older cat, wanting both to be happy and comfortable!

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Crookshanks

Purred: Sat Nov 23, '13 3:47pm PST 
I have a 7 year old female calico cat (Crookshanks), and I brought home a little 5 month old tortoiseshell kitten yesterday; I named her Primrose. They're separated by my bedroom door (I live in a 1 bedroom apartment), and they investigated each other under the door. The kitten was curious while the older cat hissed and retreated. I got the kitten mostly so that my older cat has a friend while I'm gone (I'm a full time student and I visit home often), but I'm worried that they won't get along. I'm following what most websites and my vet tell me to do: keep them separated for 1-2 weeks and let them get used to each other's scents before meeting face to face. It's proving to be very tough, because the kitten is in the living room while the older cat is in the bedroom and she cries when I'm in the bedroom. The older cat isn't acting like herself either, so that's stressing me out because I don't want her to lose her personality. I love how she greets me at the door and is excited and happy when I wake up in the morning...I don't want to lose that. If anyone has some advice to help this introduction along, I'd really appreciate it. The cats are stressed and it's stressing me out...and I just want a happy home!! cry
[notify]

Sebastyan

Purred: Wed Nov 27, '13 7:00pm PST 
Hey, I would suggest reading Cat vs. Cat.

One get a towel and let the kitten get it's scent especially that facial smell (behind the cheeks) on the towel. Then bring the towel out for the older kitty to check out. As do visa versa for the other adult for the kitten.

Your cat isn't old but 7 is begining of senior years, so probably a bad choice getting a single kitten instead it is reccommended to get a pair so they can keep each other entertained.

Adding an extra ingredient can change things but it really depends on the situation.
[notify]

Sebastyan

Purred: Wed Nov 27, '13 7:12pm PST 
=_= I'm not trying to say that to be mean, but on the bright side at least she isn't 10 or more.
[notify]

Kashi

Purred: Sun Mar 16, '14 7:19pm PST 
I go with the above that two kittens would be a nifty idea really. Your older cat is not going to be pleased in any case. But unlike dogs being introduced, cats will work it out eventually. The kittens will be best buds and the older cat will sleep in it's favorite place most of the day anyways. No fuss no muss.
[notify]