GO!

Potential New Cat Adopter Here -- Needs Advice

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Purred: Mon Sep 16, '13 4:29am PST 
Hi everyone. (This might be a little long, so I apologize.)

I'm a long-time member of Dogster, as I have three dogs and have had dogs my entire life. Recently, though, I've been looking at getting a cat. I've never entirely been a cat person before, but for the last several months I've been seriously considering getting a cat. My history with cats has been varied. The first two cats I had as a small child were not the friendliest. One was more of an outside cat and not a people cat. The second was a "free" cat from a garage sale who was mean and constantly scratched me (I'm scared of cat scratches because of this). He ended up being a barn cat (we lived in the country). I had another beautiful cat when I was about 12, but my mom was not enthusiastic about him, and he "disappeared" one day. I've not tried again since.

Anyway, I went to a local shelter yesterday -- they were having a Cat Adoption Event because they are overcrowded. I thought that either I might meet a cat I liked or I would be cured of my desire.

Most of the cats were not the least bit interested in us (there were a lot of people there). There was one female Calico, though, that every time I walked near her glass-front cage would meow at me and rub her face on the glass. I asked the volunteer about her (she was a 4 year old de-clawed stray that had been there a month), and he got her out for me.

I opened my arms and instantly she strained toward me. When she was in my arms, she head butted me all over my face, and gave me what the volunteer told me were "love bites" (which surprised me). She tried to groom my 9-yr-old's hair. The person helping us told us that she may have been a momma cat at one time because she was treating us as if we were her kittens (?). We did try holding some other cats while we were there, but I didn't have the connection with any other cat the way I had with the little Calico. Had I not met her, I'd probably just have went home.

After spending some more time with her, I filled out an application to adopt her. I am supposed to hear the results on Tuesday (after she gets a vet checkup).

Now, I'm really nervous. What am I getting myself into? I know I will need litter and a box. I bought a cat tree/bed thing, a new collar, and a carrier.

I have SO MANY QUESTIONS. What else do I need? Where is the best place to put a litter box (I have little ones and have to keep the doors closed in our house to keep them out of rooms we don't want them in). Am I a crazy person? Can you train a cat like you can a dog, like to stay off counters, etc.? What's the best way to introduce her to my dogs and my children? How do I know that I made the best decision?

Again, I'm sorry this was so long. I'm looking for some advice, best places for info, and reassurance that I'm making the right decision.

Thanks.
[notify]

Jerry- (formerly- Bondi)

Vampire Kitten

Purred: Mon Oct 14, '13 9:59am PST 
Oh my goodness...I can't believe that I'm just seeing this post now!

So, what happened? Did you adopt the sweet kitty? If so, how is it going?

It sounds like you had a pretty good idea of what would go into adopting a cat. I'm sure you'll make a great kitty purrent!
hug

Sebastyan

Purred: Wed Nov 27, '13 7:36pm PST 
Oh I use to think of myself as a dog person up until I ran into a friend who had like 6-10 cats? some were indoors others outdoors, it was a family that pretty much couldn't say no to a cute face. I realize there are toys for cats to play with and that a cat is nothing like a dog. (that is a huge step in my 12 year old mind)

One toys, rabit fur mice good, feather toys good. They do play with pipecleaners and hairbands. My cat personally loves pens and straws.

Litterboxes and dogs< Oh boy I would suggest getting a large plastic rubbermaid but doggies love kitty poo, and will try to eat it. So some people just make holes in the box so they can see out and get in and out without dogs coming in.
If you have small dogs, this will be a challenge, we have had ways to set up a cat door to the litter box in the garage but sometimes that isn't easy. Just find out what works for you. Autmated litter box will cut down on that issue too.

Cats take time to adapt to surrondings so it can take a month for her to settle in, give them a place to escape. (like the cat tree) the cat should have multiple high places to hang out on.
[notify]

Purred: Mon Dec 16, '13 4:35pm PST 
It's okay, it's okay...I was like that when we adopted Sophie. I really didn't know too much of anything about dogs...but really cats are SO much easier...it's like night and day.

All you need is to keep the litter box sifted, they sell sifters for that.
Keep food and water available
Have a warm lap available
Have kitty toys available in each room

There that's it, no training or housebreaking needed...the counters can be a challenge but you'll figure it out!
Best of luck to you and your new fur baby
[notify]

Purred: Sat Jan 11, '14 8:49pm PST 
You should get all your cats supplies before you adopt her. If you didn't adopt her, you should of bought a food bowl and a water bowl, some food, a litter box, some toys ( I would recommend ''Da Bird''), litter. Those are some of the basic things you need. As you live more with the cat you'll start to get a bed ( if she sleeps on it, my cat loves sleeping on my comfy sofa ),A cat nail cutter, grooming tools, a cat carrier for visits to the vet,a scratching post,a collar, some treats, and maybe even a training cat clicker if she's still a kitten in training. Don't be afraid because cats can be gentle and sweet and very curious. It'll all be worth it. (Make sure she gets trips to the vet on a regular basis).Good luck!
[notify]