GO!

Manx?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Purred: Thu Jul 11, '13 4:36pm PST 
Hello everyone,
My fiance and I just recently started looking for our perfect kitty companion. I found a manx earlier at a high kill shelter that was a couple of mounths old. He was so friendly and started purring as soon as I picked him up. When I put him back in his cage he seemed sad. He was so relexed and cuddly when I was holding him though. I kinda really want him BUT I don't know anything at all about manx.
I'm looking for a cat that loves to be held, petted and cuddled. If my cat followed me around the house that is a plus. My ideal cat is friendly, never aggresive, and good with other animals. I don't have any pets in my home right now but my fiance is a "dog person" and plans to get a dog soon so kitty needs to be okay around a dog. Does this sound realistic for a manx?

If I end up not being able to get the kitty I saw, is it realistic to expect to be able to easily find another cuddly cat? I honestly have no idea if most cats like that much affection and attention and such.
[notify]

Sterling

Go Gently Into- the Night

Purred: Thu Jul 11, '13 9:57pm PST 
One of my best friends on Catster is a Manx. His purrsons simply LOVE him. I'm sure Gimli hasn't been around yet tonight but when he gets on the forums he'll post. In the meantime, you can check out his Catster page to answer your questions:

http://www.catster.com/cats/100277

and what you said about the kitten you saw at the shelter ... I would run, not walk back there and adopt him. He chose you. Sounds like the purrrfect cat for you!
way to go

Edited by author Thu Jul 11, '13 10:01pm PST

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Fri Jul 12, '13 7:42am PST 
I will second what Sterling said, run don't walk back and get that kitty!!!! He is so sad now thinking of you and how much he wanted to go home with you.

My sister has a 10 year old manx cat, a big orange boy, he is the biggest sweetheart cat I have ever known. Everything I have ever heard about the breed, they are very sweet cats. Her cat visits one of her neighbors who has cats, he goes into her cat door and hangs in her house all the time, and gets along beautifully with her cats. He is such a sweetheart and beautiful.

I hope you are able to make this kitty's day and life if you go back and get him!!!! smile
[notify]

Purred: Fri Jul 12, '13 9:59am PST 
I'm really starting to wish I had taken kitty with me! I found him at a shelter near my sister-in-law's house while I was visiting but its 6 hours from where I live. I dont have anything for a cat yet- no carrier, food or anything. And my SIL is extremely allergic to cats so I couldn't get kitty before I was ready to go home really. I'm actually giving serious thought to going home and buying cat stuff for my house and getting a cat carrier and then driving back to get kitty. It seems a little silly to go 6 hours away just to get a cat when tons of them get killed at shelters near me but that particular kitty made me fall in love a little. And it seems like from the responses, and what I have read on sites that manx are a good fit in general as a breed.

So as a new first time cat owner, what all do I need to have for bring kitty home? What all do I need to have in the house for him when he gets home? I've read I should feed wet food but I have no idea whst brands are good. =x
[notify]

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Fri Jul 12, '13 7:04pm PST 
Oooh, go get that kitty! He sounds really sweet! You won't regret it! We Manx cats are friendly, laid back, easy-going and get along with other animals. My sister K.C. lives with me. I have been with mom and dad since I was born. We get very attached to our humans, especially one person in the family. I am very attached to my human mom. K.C. went to a new home when she was about 3 months old but she came back to us. Our dad was a Manx, possibly purebred, and our mom was a domestic shorthair with a long tail. The Manx gene is an "incomplete dominant" which means that all 4 lengths of Manx tails can occur in a litter. I have the shortest stumpy tail and K.C. has a "stumpy" tail too but it's a few inches long. Our brother has a long tail. Some people refer to us as a man's cat or a dog-like cat. We can be taught how to fetch. I don't fetch but I drag around my mom's clothes. I have a special call or "trill" for my mom when I want to find her in the house. I sleep on the bed by her.

There are 5 cats here and we also live with a dog.

Edited by author Fri Jul 12, '13 7:04pm PST

Sterling

Go Gently Into- the Night

Purred: Fri Jul 12, '13 7:19pm PST 
Hey! Here's Gimli! wave

A cat bed, although the kitten will probably want to sleep with you.

A litter box and litter. Just the basics for now; no cover on the box and just clay litter. This is probably what they use in the animal shelter.

Canned food: I feed my cats Fancy Feast (the Classic variety). Don't buy the ones with gravy and don't feed him too much fish. It would be good if you ask the shelter what they feed and keep him on that and gradually switch over.

Make sure you keep your floor cabinets closed to keep him away from cleaning products, etc. and while he is a kitten, be sure to keep the lid on the toilet seat down so he can't fall in and drown.

Toys: little balls, a feather on a wand. He should be supervised while playing with his toys, then put them away. Favorite cat playthings that you don't have to buy: cardboard box, paper bags (with no handles.

Edited by author Fri Jul 12, '13 7:27pm PST

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Sat Jul 13, '13 9:07am PST 
Hi Sterling!

We agree with a litter box with no lid. Two of ours originally have lids but we got to not liking them, so mom doesn't put them on anymore. Him being a kitten, you may want to go for some natural kind of litter or the regular old clay kind for a bit, since some kittens like to eat litter. The clumping kind can get stuck in the intestines like cement.

We eat dry and canned food. We eat Friskies pate. Mom gets more of the turkey kind instead of fish. Too much seafood kind can cause urinary tract problems, especially in males. We eat a good grain-free dry food like Blue Wilderness or Before Grain since our sisfur Tabi is allergic to grains. You will have to watch out so he does not get overweight.

Yes, we love wands and toys! Those little plastic balls with the bells inside but if they get crushed, throw the toy away. Mmom's had to do that! She and dad have stepped on a few from time to time. MOL

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Tue Jul 16, '13 6:50pm PST 
Did you get the Manx kitty? *crosses paws*