GO!

When is it best to get a new brother or sister?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Kiki

Attack!!

Purred: Wed Apr 24, '13 8:53pm PST 
My mommy wants to get a companion for me when I get a little older, and she doesn't want another kitten. I'm a little young now but I know I would get along well with another cat as I'm not averse to new situations at all! smile

If someone new comes over I'm really friendly and outgoing, and although I'm a little rough around the edges because of my age, I am a good, well-behaved kitty. I'm almost 4 months old now. What age would it be best for me to get a friend, and what sex should they be?
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Thu Apr 25, '13 4:39am PST 
I think you are the perfect age to introduce another kitty! Seriously, it is so much easier when one is a kitten. And you don't have to get a kitten, I don't blame you on that, one kitten is plenty for most people, they are little monsters! I would look to petfinder, or your vet maybe, or a cat rescue, where you can look at the cats, and find one that is good with other kitties. I think that is more important than the sex of the cat. Just make sure you get your girl spayed, if she is not already, that will be more of a nightmare for you if you don't, the cat will be trying to get out and will not be pleasant to be around otherwise. I took in a stray in December, and my cat Taffy accepted him pretty easily, although there was some hissing and growling at first, but they are buddies now. He has changed for the better. He plays more, has lost weight, and is not alone anymore. A second kitty will make life better for your kitty, she won't be lonely. You are wise to get the second kitty before your kitty gets too old and set in their ways becauses they are then not so accepting of other cats. I have such a cat, Beep, she cannot be around my other two cats. We have to play a cat rotation game every day of our life, because she will try to kill other cats. She was 5 when we took in Taffy, our second cat, and she never accepted him. So now Taffy has Stephano, and they are "bubbies", I call them, and I am so happy that they have each other. Good luck!
[notify]

Iba

World's Best- Kitten- Socializer

Purred: Fri Apr 26, '13 7:06am PST 
I agree with Beep, mostly, but really, there's not necessarily a better or worse time to get a new cat, except with some extenuating circumstances. And yes, another cat, particularly one who is young and matches KiKi's energy level will keep her entertained and (hopefully) out of trouble. I would look for a male though. Female cats are--at least in my experience--more likely to get territorial and mean with each other.
[notify]

Kiki

Attack!!

Purred: Fri Apr 26, '13 11:24am PST 
Mommy says I am very hyper and run around a lot. I do attack and ambush a lot and love to play. I'm a good cuddler too but I'm just not into the whole petting thing a lot of the time. If I want it, I'll ask for it. c: Most of the time I just like being in the same room as everyone and being the center of attention!

Maybe it would be best if I got a boyfriend although Daddy says I am enough kitty for one household. Mommy is trying to convince him otherwise though!

Edited by author Fri Apr 26, '13 11:25am PST

[notify]