GO!

A feline companion for Mr. B

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Purred: Fri Jan 18, '13 3:02pm PST 
hello!

I come from a long line of cat owners. I was forced to leave my three kitties at home with my parents went I went away to university. Now I have a beagle and he's my pride and joy but I find myself missing my cats still.

So i'm looking for a new cat to bring into our lives. I'd rather not get another dog (shhhshh)

So i was wonder if anyone could suggest any breeds of cats that do well with dogs. Size isn't really an issue for me but i'd perfer a regular cat not one of those fancy exotic breeds like bangles or what not. (While they're nice i live in an apartment).

Jake has a dogster page under Mr. Jake the Beagle If you'd like to see his page to get some information about him. He's a pretty chill dog now a days and he understands cats. He's been home to meet my older cats many times over the last year i've owned him. He insists on engaging my 15lb male cat into play and gets himself hissed at every time but he reacts to my cats "Go away" with play! and puppy bows and rolls over. Usually my cats just walk off.

But anyway i'd like to get a cat and would like some breed recommendations. Dogster was good with some information about how to mix cats and dogs. If anyone lives with both i'd like your recomendations.

Thanks,

Jake's Mother.
[notify]

Juliette

Purred: Sun Jan 20, '13 2:49am PST 
Well, I would bring a kitten to him. Kittens love everyone and do well. My daughter got a kitten for her dog and they do well together. My kitten likes my daughter's dog. My kitten is a Siberian who do well with dogs and cats. They are large sized cats who are intelligent. They are hard to find too. You may want a mixed breed too. Hope you find the right kitten.....and take it slow...
[notify]

Purred: Mon Jan 21, '13 12:14pm PST 
You can ask a local cat adoption association about available cats that are compatible with dogs. Usually they can tell you which ones at least will NOT be a good match with dogs. Some of the cats have been fostered at homes with dogs and they will note on the description "dogs ok," "kids ok," "other cats ok," etc. Not sure where you are located, but I believe Humane Society at least does this.
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Tue Jan 22, '13 11:09pm PST 
I love you for wanting to expand your family. A rescue groups would be able to find you a cat that has lived with a dog. Start at Petfinder.com. In the basic search it will let you say if you have a dog to weed out those that hate dogs. You can talk to them first. Then schedule a visit with Mr. Jake at the Petsmart or Petco store they visit on the weekends or their shelter. Be up front with them, What happens if I take the cat and they will not get along with Mr. Jake? Do they have return policy? You need a good fit. If you do not get good answers, look for another rescue group.

Groups like Helping Out Pets Everyday or Cats in Need, Cats in need RC@Chino.

I left Mr. Jake a treat!
[notify]