GO!

A companion for a 2 year old cat?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Ginoza

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '12 4:58pm PST 
I posted this in answers earlier but didn't get a reply--maybe I'll have better luck here!

Should I bring home another companion cat for my current cat?
My current cat is Ginoza, a two year old neutered male. He was recently adopted from a county shelter this month, and he adjusted very well to his new home--no problems with liter manners, very active and outgoing toward other humans.

But he does have a tendency to be very rambunctious, especially at night. He'll try to wake me up while I'm in three hours of sleep to play (he wrestles with one of my limbs, either arm or leg, despite having access to his toys and other amenities--Water, food, litterbox).

I'm wondering if bringing home a cat his age (maybe between 1 and 3 years?) would help him pass the time while I'm sleeping and/or at work. What gender should his companion be?

note: I've seen him interact with other unknown cats--he tends to watch them, but doesn't "stand his ground" or act too hostile toward them--he appears curious about them, and other animals (like dogs).
[notify]

Stewie

Spay or Neuter

Purred: Wed Jan 2, '13 1:15pm PST 
Hi Ginoza purrentwink..if you are in Nebraska I've a cat or two that could be companions for Ginoza. I'm with Homeless No More cat rescue and we've several kitties that would be good buddies with others.
However I warn you; cats are playful by nature, specially at night and while two will entertain with each other more than just one there are no guarantees they'll be quiet. Though all in all is better if he has a buddy. At his age he needs one, can be his age, older or younger if he is not an alpha cat like you said
[notify]

Purred: Wed Jan 2, '13 5:00pm PST 
I would say a fixed cat of either gender who is perhaps a year old,they're usually still quite playful at a year, good playmate fur sure
[notify]

Charles- Bingley

In residence at- Netherfield Park

Purred: Tue Jan 8, '13 7:48am PST 
Hi Ginzowave YAY for your human adopting a cat from a rescue group. We visited your page, left you some treats, a present and a Friends Request.

And we agree, a male or female cat who has been neutered or spayed, around a year old would be a good companion for you. Has your person checked with the rescue group you came from to determine if they had another cat who might fit what you need? Or they may know of other cats perhaps being fosterd, who are the right age and love to play. If you happened to live in the Greater New Orleans area, I would also have a GREAT cat for you to have as a your new brother, his name is Charles Bingley (Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book).

Keep us posted on your hunt for a friend......RESCUES ROCK!!!

The New Orleans Kittiesdancingcheercheer
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:56am PST 
Hi Ginzo's Mom-
a cat either a ltitle younger or around his age s hould do well! CK was the same way with us, and though my older guys played with him, he drove them crazy too. Finally, with Midnight, he as a friend near his own age. He likes playing with our foster, Calvin, too!
[notify]