GO!

is there a wrong cat?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Tue Feb 21, '12 12:45am PST 
Who here can say anything bad about owning a cat. Purebreds or otherwise?
[notify]

Purred: Tue Feb 21, '12 12:50am PST 
No. All cats are significantly important
[notify]

Vincent

Please- spay/neuter your- feline companion

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 8:49pm PST 
I think there is such a thing as the wrong cat (or any animal) for certain families. For example, if you have small animals, a cat that not only has an extremely high prey drive but really enjoys killing birds/rodents would be a wrong choice for that household. Or if a family is gone all the time, the wrong cat for them would be one that is extremely clingy and dependent.
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Fri Mar 2, '12 9:12am PST 
I agree with Vincent that certain cats might not be a good fit for certain people or families, but that same cat might be perfect for another living situation.

Your question also asks if there is anything bad about owning a cat, which will depend upon your definition of "bad". Having a cat, or any pet, in your home will require a certain amount of adjustment, and whether or not that adjustment is "bad" depends upon the person or family. Not everyone is meant to have a pet, and that's okay. Just do your research and decide if you are likely to be compatible with a particular cat, or with a cat in general.

If you have questions about making a decision or choosing a cat, please be more specific about your concerns.
[notify]

Charmaine- Neville

Hey Dawlin!!!!

Purred: Fri Mar 2, '12 1:16pm PST 
Ralphie and Randy pretty much covered it all. Just to add, when you go to adopt a cat, Rescues and Shelters and PetsMart always have information on whether a cat is good with dogs, other cats, children, etc. etc. All of this must be taken into consideration, and I had a cat who lived to be 19 years old. So, it is a long term committment....and that is a lot of litter box cleaning - but I loved Creme Purr, and all the cats that came after her.

The New Orleans Kittis

Edited by author Fri Mar 2, '12 1:19pm PST

[notify]

Abby

I squeak- therefore I am

Purred: Mon Mar 12, '12 3:44am PST 
Good advice already given above. I would add that there are some 'wrong' humans who should not be caring for cats (or, I should say, claiming to care for them).

And since some cats are not too crazy about other cats, maybe there are some 'wrong' combinations of cats too...

Edited by author Mon Mar 12, '12 3:46am PST

[notify]

Bijoux

sweetest cat- ever

Purred: Sun Apr 15, '12 11:48am PST 
Cats are wonderful! There are no bad cats, but cat personalities can clash with human personalities. Also, purebred cats are different just like purebred dogs. Persians will lounge around all day while siamese will investigate everything and want to talk about it. We have 6 cats in our family. Bear is a black manx that enjoyed being outside. He terrorized the house and all the cats. We had to decide: declaw or rehome. We decided rehoming would be better than forcing conformity by handicapping him. He is now living with a nice retired couple in a newly built barn, and is extremely happy. So, no, there is no bad cats.
[notify]

littleboy

king of my home

Purred: Sun Apr 15, '12 4:48pm PST 
We think all cats are good or right cats. We just love kitties but it is true some kitties fit better into the lifestyle of some humans than they would into the life of other humans. it is sad to say but some humans get a kitty and then because they think a kitty is "bad" or not longer fits their lifestyle then they give it away or take it to a shelter or worst of all leave it all along shrug to fend for itself.
We kitties just like humans get sad and miss our family when we are re-homed or abandoned. My sisterfur BooBoo used to stare off into space and get sad look on her face, daddy said she was probably thinking of the family that she had known before she somehow ended up in a no kill shelter.
I lost my first family but I never seemed to miss them like Boo did hers
[notify]

Fluffy

Purred: Mon Apr 23, '12 5:00pm PST 
Hi,

I think it really depends on the owner. If someone doesnt have enough time or wants to give their cat the necessary time, then it is wrong for that person to have a cat. Owning a cat requires your time, love and effort. The amount also depends on the age of the cat, kittens usually require more time and attention.
[notify]

Angel Tally

The Wise One

Purred: Tue Apr 24, '12 11:59am PST 
On some accasions yes. Some cats aren't good with small children and others are far too crazy for the older fraction of people.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2