GO!

Choosing 2 kittens

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Nellie

yummyyummy i got- fancy feast in- my tummy

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 6:58pm PST 
they dont have to be from the same litter either. nellie and alexis arent from the same litter and also they were in different cages. they bonded the first day they met. there was no hissing, fighting. they get along just fine.

Edited by author Tue Mar 29, '11 7:01pm PST

[notify]

Church

I'm a model!

Purred: Wed Mar 30, '11 1:33pm PST 
If you can go to a shelter that has a "kitten room" you can see how the kittens interact before you adopt them to make sure they will get along.

I have two that were unrelated but around the same age, Church and Roxy. Roxy was planned and we got her from a breeder (Maine Coon) and Church was a "surprise" as I was gardening one day and he was a feral kitten who wandered into my yard! That was about a month before we were supposed to bring Roxy home. When Roxy came home it took them a little while to get used to each other, and I think Church may have been a singleton so he sometimes played too rough (did not know when he was biting too hard in play.) However they did get along well eventually and they grew up together.
I also have 4 cats who were from the same litter, 3 males and 1 female and they all get along great. When they were younger they used to sleep together in a big pile. They're over 2 now and don't do that any longer.
[notify]

Bubbles

A cat who acts- like a dog

Purred: Tue Apr 19, '11 3:04pm PST 
Get a shelter cat! 4 million pets are euthanized each year. They are just as great and loving as any purebred and tend to have less problems since they are from a larger gene pool.

If you really MUST purchase kittens from a breeder, I have a Sokoke mix, and she's lovely. However these are very rare cats. Bengals are my favorite, as well as Egyptian Maus, Somalis, Savannahs, Cheetohs... who am I kidding, I love all cats smile
[notify]

Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Tue Apr 19, '11 11:11pm PST 
Hear hear Bubbles, shelter cats need us applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause
[notify]

Samantha

Sammerstiltskin

Purred: Wed Apr 20, '11 5:05pm PST 
I would get siblings! I have a brother and a sister and I love it! They are very close, ONLY play fight... I've never seen a real fight expect for when one comes back from the vet... then they want to murder each other.. LOL
[notify]

Maxwell

Maxwell - To the Max!

Purred: Mon Jan 28, '13 4:11pm PST 
cry Well... Good ol'e Max was feeling great this past Christmas.

All of a sudden, two days later, he went downhill fast. On Saturday the 29th of December, I took him to the Massachusetts Veterinary Referral Hospital in Woburn, MA, as our regular vet was closed.

Max had become so bad so quickly that he stopped eating and drinking water, and couldn't walk or stand. He just stared into some distant void and didn't even purr.

After some tests, the vet caring for Max has some sad news. Max apparantly had a benign form of feline lukemia (even though he was up on his shots), and it suddenly surfaced with a vengance! Poor Max... since he was almost 16, and his condition so bad, we had no option but to put him to sleep.

He passed on my lap, while I cried like a baby!!!

I have to say that the Vets and support people at the Massachusetts Veterinary Referral Hospital were incredibly professional, caring and supportive.

Ohhhh Maxy Max! We miss you dearly! cry

Edited by author Mon Jan 28, '13 4:22pm PST

[notify]

Buddha

Purred: Mon Jan 28, '13 8:00pm PST 
Two cats are much easier to deal with than only one, particularly if they are already together when you adopt them. Its true that shelters have a difficult time adopting pairs of adult cats together but when you adopt a pair of adult cats from a shelter that already have been together and are already bonded, then you have the advantage of not having to go through the bonding process. Quite often older cats in a shelter are already spayed or neutered too.

Older cats in general have a difficult time getting adopted. Black cats usually have more difficulty getting adopted than other colors.

As for sexes, it really doesn't matter as long as they're spayed or neutered before they are sexually mature.

With any new cat or cats you get, especially with an adult, please be patient. I see so many situations where a cat has been returned to a shelter after a time period of only one day to two weeks in a new home, with the reason for return being because the cat hadn't adjusted. Then the cat has this info on its record and the cat is even harder to find an adoptive home for. Allow at least two months for a friendly social adult cat to adjust to a new home. Many cats adjust quicker than that but one needs to be willing to give a cat plenty of time to adjust. Kittens usually do adjust in a matter of days.

Two cats or kittens are great company for each other. Two cats or kittens can and will happily play much more roughly with each other than they ever could play with a human. Cats like to scratch on the rough surface of a sisal wrapped cat tree and a sisal wrapped cat tree will provide a long lasting place to climb, scratch and play that cats usually prefer to use instead of furniture.

Fate has chosen most of my cats for me.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2