GO!

Why Do People Go To Breeders?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 12 of 12: Viewing entries 111 to 117)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  
Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Tue Sep 17, '13 1:45pm PST 
We looked for Siamese kitten in the newspaper to pair with aging Siamese cats (not purebreds). This back in the day when you did that. The internet was not all what it is now. No one had Siamese kittens (not purebreds) for half a year. Got a book on different cat breeds. Saw an ad in paper for cat show. Came home from the show with a Birman that I saw in the book. Fell in love with the breed. Got one more Birman from a cat show. Time to get more cats a decade later. Now internet up and going. Searched Petfinder for Birmans. Fours years passed, no real Birmans within 500 miles. We lost a cat, Honey. Brownie was all alone in the house. He cried for a playmate. Asked sister if we could have her younger Himlayan rescue cat, Sable. Brought her home to just meet Brownie. Hate is not a strong enough of a word to describe it. Took Sable and Brownie back to my sister's house. Brownie wanted her older female Birman cat for his playmate. So I had look for a breeder and fast. He cried for 6 weeks until we got Cookie. Cookie was 3 years old when we got her. Then we got Cookie's sister, Candie, a year later from the same breeder for free. The simple fact is I LOVE the Birman breed. There is something about them. Most purebred owner will tell you they love the breed.
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Tue Sep 17, '13 10:03pm PST 
After having gotten one cat from a breeder (Roxy the Maine Coon) although it was not actually my choice, I would definitely get another. Of course we will always have rescues too-- we have a majority of rescues here, and always have. Currently all our cats except Roxy were ferals I rescued as kittens. In fact, when we were waiting for Roxy to come home from the breeder, I found a ~6 week old feral kitten-- that was Church. We weren't planning to have two kittens but he was a surprise rescue. He and Roxy ended up growing up together and are best friends.

Edited by author Tue Sep 17, '13 10:19pm PST

[notify]

Cowboy

It is Cowboys'- world, your- welcome to it

Purred: Wed Oct 9, '13 3:04pm PST 
Most of my cats are ones I found and there are nine.
The last one is bought from a pet store. But I don't plan on getting anymore. He is my last.
Jill.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Mar 19, '14 4:45pm PST 
All of my kitties have been rescues. I know that cats that have been breed may be prettier to some, but in my opinion all of my rescues are precious to me and they don't need to be the best of the best. They already are in my eyes.
[notify]

Kashi

Purred: Sun Mar 23, '14 5:39pm PST 
I suppose some people just want what they want. I'll spend quite a bit on a good fragrance but think it's silly to own a purse that costs a couple thousand. Everybody is different.

My Mom had a purebred Blue point Siamese. She didn't show Juliet but that cat lived with all the creature comforts into old age. Beautiful cat I'll admit. Then there was a friend enchanted by Ragdolls.

They finally got two from a breeder. They still have them and love them dearly, and paid dearly for them...but they are also on their 3rd couch. These lovely kits use the couch as a litterbox.

My cats have always been alley cats of one sort or another. Both dogs from high kill shelters. I personally feel better spending money on a bottle of Chanel and giving homes to critters who need me, not from breeders.

But to each their own...another thing to bear in mind, especially with cats. If you go to a big shelter cat room you can usually find cats and kittens that look pure breed even if they have no papers.

Something to consider if you don't plan to show or breed them anyway.

Edited by author Sun Mar 23, '14 5:42pm PST

[notify]

Purred: Thu Mar 27, '14 1:12pm PST 
I don't have a cat yet but I'm looking to get one. Why wouldn't I go to a breeder? It seems practical, theres one near my house
[notify]

Juliette

Purred: Fri Mar 28, '14 2:16am PST 
My new son-in-law is allergic to cats so I went looking for a Siberian because I heard that they were hypoallergic....I never knew that my older cat would take to her as much as he has so he grooms her every day. Siberians are a natural breed like Maine Coons and very smart. She is my first cat from a breeder. My other cats were all rescues and were loved so much. Going to a breeder is a choice and individual so please don't make judgemental evaluations on those who go to them.
They love cats as much everyone else does. One of my first cats was a Maine Coon mix and he was a special cat. I love big cats and he was one. He was born at a no kill shelter and a runt of the litter.
Every cat is wonderful no matter where they come from......just go with flow and do what you like to do....thank for going to shelters and breeders and keeping those special cats happy and loved...
[notify]

(Page 12 of 12: Viewing entries 111 to 117)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12