GO!

Why Do People Go To Breeders?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 11 of 12: Viewing entries 101 to 110)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  
Juliette

Purred: Wed Feb 20, '13 7:18am PST 
My new son-in-law is very allergic to cats and can't stay with us long without being in such
agony. My daughter loves cats so I went with a kitten who was hypoallergic. Siberians are such a breed plus they are smart and large cats. I have had all cats who were saved but this time I wanted one that was home bred. She does well with everyone and has no health issues. My first
kitten, Ben, was a Maine Coon mix who was the runt of the litter at the pound. I loved him and he was with us for sixteen years but there were health issues. He was malnourished, had a hyperthyroid, diabetes, FUS, and finally cancer. I paid quite a bit for his health and loved him dearly. Natasha was our second one. She was in good health but she was on the timid side and
didn't like other cats much. She was affectionate with us but no cat. As for Alex, I am glad to say that he was our first cat from the pound who is in good health and loves everyone. He was also fostered which helped with his nature. Natasha was a stray who lost her kittens at the pound. When she came home to us, she weighed just three and half pounds. I nursed her back to health......Juliette is our first kitten from a breeder. I got to see her parents and her home.
She is loving and gives Alex loving too. She is well socialized. Because of my new son-in-law, I am glad that we have her. If we ever need care for her, my daughter and her husband are our back up care takers......I hope that answers your question. Everyone has a different answer.
They may love the breed and want good health background. I have done both and glad that we met all of them. I will not be showing Juliette even though she is a beautiful golden Siberian.
I don't need others to tell me that she is beautiful...I know....
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Fri Feb 22, '13 6:20pm PST 
Some people get certin breeds because people with allergies can tolerate some breeds more. I currently live with someone who is fine with my oriental shorthair mixes but will not be able to breath if i brought home a DSH or dlh

every breeder on earth could stop breeding purebreada and there would still be overpopulation. why? tons of people dont care and dont spay and neuter. unplanned litters and strays make up the vast majority of shelter cats. this includes backyard breeders who claim to have purebreds who arnt responsible breeder.

i dont agree with some of the breeds of cats being bred today, but i am glad for some or else i would not be able to have cats at all. i happend to get mine at the shelter but if i couldnt find one to adopt i would have to turn to a good breeder.
[notify]

Snowball

The Black Shadow

Purred: Sun Sep 8, '13 12:48pm PST 
What Lowell said.

The world wide pet overpopulation problem is not because of breeders. It is because of people who buy dogs and cats and don't look as it as a life long commitment.

I have a chinook dog (a rare breed). I may get another one in the future. Since there aren't many chinooks available for adoption, I will go to a reputable breeder.

Many breeders will actually encourage you to rescue a pet instead of just having you hand over the money and be on your merry way.
[notify]

Bodrouex

all you need is- love

Purred: Tue Sep 10, '13 5:51pm PST 
All kitties born here come with a big statement on the contract that says if the person can't keep for whatever reason we will take the kitten back, help rehome and if it is young enough to get cashfor the ex-owner gets that less expenses--but no cats have come back here yet. One of Meowma's friewnds got one back at age 13 because the cat was sick--yes that kitty got rehabbed and is still at the breeder's home. AND no one leaves here un-altered to pet homes. That's included in the price. Along with health guarantee, microchip, etc etc...
And, as one of our Ocicat friends points out, feral/outdoor kitties naturally select for ones that will defend themselves readily, are skittish enough to run or hide in a hurry etc, so you have to overcome those traits when socializing a kitten, and still never know....our breeding catsare chosen to be sweet, gentle, friendly, and very social as well as for health and,. ahem, good looks (not THE first priority but it doesn't hurt). some people don't want to gamble or have the new companion be a project. Many, in fact most of our kitten people have already had a Burmese or Bombay, or know someone who does, and they want our personality.
[notify]

Tia

Tia the- Terrific!

Purred: Wed Sep 11, '13 3:09am PST 
Interesting that I came across this forum, when I just had this conversation with my roommate's 7 year old son yesterday morning on the way to school. He was telling me he wanted to help rescue cats just like his mom does. He also said he wants to breed cats, but didn't know what kind. My question to him was: Why when there are so many cats that already need homes? (Just out of curiosity - I wouldn't try to sway him one way or the other) His response was that a lot of people rescue, but there are a lot of people that would still like a certain breed due to certain traits and characteristics they have. Also that he would be a "good breeder and make sure his cats were all tested and had the right vaccines so they wouldn't get sick." Just thought that was interesting coming from a 7 yr old.

Tia is from the SPCA, and she's my pride and joy. I couldn't have asked for a better cat. However, I believe so far I've been lucky with her and not knowing what the medical history of her mom and/or dad. So far, the only health issue I've had with her is feline conjunctivitis 3x...other than she's the picture of health. I honestly think it takes a special kind of person to take on a rescue, whether they are purebred or mixed. You don't know the situation they were born into, the health of the parents, brothers and/or sisters, if they were abused/neglected at all, etc.

And having 2 rescued pets myself (and going through a lot of finances dealing with health issues that Angel has) I can completely understand why people would go to a reputable breeder! That way you at least have some idea of any health issues, you can see how the breeder handles their cats, you can ask lots of questions (including about testing, vaccinations, anything you want to ask) and see how the mother and father are.

I myself am looking into getting a Maine Coon, preferably from a breeder.

The only way to improve the breeds of cats (and dogs) that are around today is by having reputable breeders that know what they are doing and what they are dealing with.
[notify]

BooBoo Jr.

goofus ball

Purred: Sat Sep 14, '13 6:53pm PST 
Another thing, Tia... lots of breeders like Meowma have a clause in the contract that asks for the cat to be returned if anything ever happens so that the family can't keep the cat, and we will help. She also says tell you future cat breeder that while you want a MC, he should get either a Bombay or Burmese who are the lovingest, bestest, and sweetest kitties ever--and we don't need a lot of brushing unless we are show cats!
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Sun Sep 15, '13 1:56pm PST 
Well, people sometimes arent willing to take stray cats in, for many reasons. Sometimes stray cats have diseases, and sometimes the cats are dirty. But I agree, why not save a little life, rather than buy a already taken care of cat? Its sick.
I have a connection, i am taking in a stray cat, that got kicked out of his home. He has fleas, at least i think he does....But i dont mind. Yes i do have another cat, but he has fleas already because he got outside for a night and who knows what happened. And he is very skinny, I have been feeding him and loving him for a year, before i finally realized he had no home. So I am going to get him fixed and bring him in. I know what you mean, some people just dont care. But i tell you, i am definitely NOT one of those people. I do care, i would give my life to save an animal.
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Sun Sep 15, '13 6:45pm PST 
Ummmm....we CARE. Meowma has 'rescued' many,many cats, and donates time and money to actually going and helping (hands on) spay and neuter kitties, as do her fellow breeder friends. She is not a wealthy woman but has spent thousands of dollars rehabbing the rescues she has had. Our cat clubs GIVE space to rescue groups to people who go to shows specifically to see cats--not dogs or other animals, and many rescue kitties get homes that way. CFA donates TONS of money to health research.
Again--not everyone wants an animal that might turn out to be skittish, bad tempered, in poor health etc. and gamble on the possibility of having to deal with the heartbreak or disappointment that comes if the new cat turns out not being a good companion or even much of a pet, or at worse has health problems that force the owner to choose between going broke, euthanizing, or taking them bAck to the shelter. . That does not mean people who want a purebred do not care. Most of the kittens that leave here go to homes with other cats, many rescue or shelter kitties. It just happens that the new family would like to have a Burmese.
We are sick of the demonizing of breeders and the idea that it is taking a home away from a feral/homeless/shelter cat if anyone gets a purebred and the assumption that cat breeders are 'getting rich', 'are evil', etc.
[notify]

Kyubey

PLAY!!! Play- play play play- pl...zzzzzzz

Purred: Sun Sep 15, '13 8:16pm PST 
I don't like the implication that people who seek out a breeder cat don't care. LOTS of caring, loving pet owners have well-bred animals. As long as someone loves and cares for their kitties, I don't care if the went the rescue route or the breeder route.

I for one am done gambling with dogs...I've dealt with so many issues of health and temperament in the dogs I've adopted...I'm experienced enough to handle these problems, but I don't want to. For my next dog I'm seeking out an excellent breeder who will have a dog for me who will most likely fit in beautifully.
[notify]

Kyubey

PLAY!!! Play- play play play- pl...zzzzzzz

Purred: Sun Sep 15, '13 8:23pm PST 
I forgot to add...

A few weeks ago, I adopted a new cat from rescue, he was four years old. As often happens, I let him into my heart and fell in love with him immediately! A few days later, I found out that he has a heart murmur, severe stomatitis, and renal failure....all three of which are most likely genetic.

After the crushing expense and heartbreak of that week, I did NOT want to gamble my heart on another cat with an unknown background. I DID, and I love the cat I wound up adopting, but I can definitely understand someone wanting to protect themselves from such a terrible experience by finding a kitty with a health guarantee and a solid genetic background.
[notify]

(Page 11 of 12: Viewing entries 101 to 110)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12