GO!

Anyone considering a new kitten please read

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 12:08pm PST 
Alot of people, when getting a cat choose to get a new kitten. while its your choice, and kittens need love too, im here to plead the case of every homeless adult cat out there.

Any cat, regaurdless of breed, color, or sex can be a good cat or bad. I think its allways best to get an adult cat. this is why:

you allready know how big there going to be and if there long or short hair.

they are allready litter trained, and for the most part, know proper manners. ( not to bite, ect) some adults need to be corrected, but most know.

Adult cats need you! cute kittens get homes in a hot minute. Adults are often over looked because its a common myth that you should get a kitten so it can be raised with you. But accully most adult cats adapt to homes very well. with kittens, sometimes even when they are rasied in a home, there personailty dosnt suit the home and the kitten, ( now an adult) finds itself at the pound.

Some may aurge that they allready have a cat, and kitten would ajust better. This isnt allways true. it depends on your cat. An older cat may not want a young kitten biting his tail all the time. on the other hand, a cat that likes to play might love it. The truth is, adult cats can get along too depending on there personailes.

Remember, every cat was once a cute little kitten.

If you end up getting a cute little kitten, then good for you. Kittens need homes too. but i am just asking you consider an adult cat. Homeless cats come in every way. Some are still playfull and fun. And alot can get along with other pets and children.

Most cat rescues keep there cats in there own home or in a home-like enviroment. they can match you to a cat that fits your wants and needs. with a kitten, its hard to say if they will grow up to be like that.

happy dance i hope i have atleast convinced some of you future cat owners to consider all cats when adopting.
[notify]

Minxy- (1987-2008)

Queen of the- Rainbow Bridge

Purred: Sun Jan 18, '09 11:11pm PST 
I second this. I was adopted at 21 and fit right in to my new home with 4 younger sisters aged 1-6. Mum only had me for 6 months but I was feisty right til the end and left lots of great memories.

I was a pretty extreme case but adopting an adult cat of any age is a good thing to do. If you really want a kitten adopt a mother and kitten pair, its great fun watching them grow up together and they'll always be the best of pals.
[notify]

Ellie (now- at rainbow- bridge)

Sure I make a- mess, So What?

Purred: Tue Jan 20, '09 5:37am PST 
Our mum has adopted adult cats tooo.
She brought me home five years ago, I had spent the previous two years in a rescue, no one was interested in me untill mum came along, she also adopted my sisters Purdie & Bonnie & my brothers Drift, Red & Tikka as adults. She is so glad that she was & is able to give us a forever home, especialy older cats like Red & myself & sick ones like Tikka was.

PURRLEASE think about adopting an adult cat, we have soo much love to give.
[notify]

Stormy- 2000-2009

Tall, Dark, and- Handsome.

Purred: Tue Jan 20, '09 7:06am PST 
So, true! We got our Stormy when he was one or two. We only guess at his age, but It took him time adjusting from a Stray's life. Took about 5 years for him to become a normal house cat, but he has always been friendly with out house guests, and they say he is pretty friendly.
[notify]

Maverick

You will never- find my stash of- pieces!!

Purred: Tue Jan 20, '09 1:29pm PST 
When I adopt a cat (in about 6 months), I plan to adopt an adult cat (or a bonded pair of adults).
Of course, it will depend on their personality and how well they would get along with Pebbles. I will discuss this with the shelter/rescue --I'm hoping adult cats will be suitable (kittens are so, so cute --but have crazy tons of energy). I may wind up with adults or I may wind up with kittens --it'll depend on what the shelter/rescue feels is best for my household.

All that to say, yes -I am too a supporter of adopting adult cats. The kittens at the shelter are fun to play with, but have SO much energy. I have met many wonderful adults at the shelter --one that would always jump in my lap, purr, and go to sleep every time I visited --I still wonder what ever happened to him.
[notify]

Stella

Everyone visits- to see me and- only me!

Purred: Tue Jan 20, '09 3:10pm PST 
My mommy and daddy adopted me when I was 2. They wanted a kitten though but they also wanted a longer haired kitty. They saw me and despite not being a tiny kitten they fell in love with me. They were very happy with their choice to.dancing

Edited by author Tue Jan 20, '09 3:10pm PST

[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Tue Jan 20, '09 5:20pm PST 
its good to know alot of people are getting adults.

I get emails all the time asking if i have kittens, and when i dont most people wont consider all the adults i have. they say "well my vet says a kitten would be the best"

i wish vets wouldnt advise people to get just kittens but to get a cat OR kitten that best fits them.
[notify]

Kado Spencer

I\'m Charming,- Love me!

Purred: Thu Jan 29, '09 11:13pm PST 
I was adopted at 2. My dad wanted a kitten but my mom and my sis's didn't want to deal with that. I'm really happy they decided to adopt older. My family looked at every age rage before deciding on me and there are alot of good cats waiting for homes.
[notify]

Phineas

Mama's Bed Bug

Purred: Sat Jan 31, '09 7:12am PST 
I love this post. I told my husband that the next cat we get, later in life (we have enough lol!) is going to be the ugliest adult cat at the shelter LOL. I want to give a cat a chance that no one else will. I swear I'll do it too.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Sat Jan 31, '09 1:32pm PST 
happy dance good for you! way to goparty
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4