GO!

Which type of cat to get?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 9 of 10: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Apollo (In- Memory)

Love Ya !

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 6:55pm PST 
Becoming a member is easy and ... it's free!

Go the the Catster home page and click on "Add a Cat". You will then get a screen that will walk you though the registration process and create your kitty's page.

She's a cutie and it sounds like you were destined to meet. What is her name?

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 8:22pm PST 
Congratulations--and bless you for taking an older kitty. I looked at the pictures; she is beautiful, and I agree that those are great shots as well. Good luck with your new friend! smile And don't forget to come here often!
[notify]

Laredo

The little meow- man

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 8:55pm PST 
Having 2 cats to keep each other company is really good if you can handle it. We're not that much work. Clean our litter box at least once a day and make sure we have food and water and we're really low maintenance. Some cats that have longer hair would require lots of brushing. We're both short hair kiddies. My mom adopted me from a foster home in our community. Mom says she loves my sister Holly but her male cats, like me, have always been the more outgoing and the cuddly ones. She also prefers to always have one male and one female, not two of the same gender. I love my sister and mom loves us both and wouldn't trade us for anything. Meow for now, Love Laredo
[notify]

Purred: Wed Jan 28, '09 5:59am PST 
Her names Ella, and everything seems to be working out right now. She's small and calm and sweet. If I do add another cat to our family should I get another cat the same age as Ella?
[notify]

Ella

Purred: Wed Jan 28, '09 6:14am PST 
I'm a member now!!! cheer little angel happy dance hamster dance
[notify]

Anastasia- "Ana"- Lyskawa

Purred: Wed Jan 28, '09 8:36am PST 
When choosing a cat from my experience you should number (1) really want one. Short hair is, of course, much easier to care for. I have had two (2) long haired and you really should brush often. They definitely shed more! I lost my "Nala" in (2007) at 13 yrs. and she was just my little lion. Part ferral and domesticated quite well, however, her lion tendencies showed up every once and a while. I had her at 4-weeks old. What a beauty!!!!!!!

I now have a Calico, "Ana" (Anastasia) and she is a long-hair also, with a little less than "Nala" had, but sheds all the time. I keep her brushed often and also give her (Vitacoat) which prevents more shedding and drying of the skin. Her cat box is a corner box with cover and I clean every day. Don't even know its in the house. All cats have a huge tendency to be clean and therefore the reason for cleaning their cat boxes very often.

I would suggest to you to start off with a kitten. This way you can pretty much train them the way you want. Makes life easier for cutting their nails starting young and perhaps wearing a collar. Even taking them for walks. Good luck in finding your feline friend. Their such great best friends!!!!!!
Ana and Rosanne

Edited by author Wed Jan 28, '09 8:38am PST

[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Wed Jan 28, '09 2:05pm PST 
If you want to get a second cat, I would suggest another adult (not necessaroly the exact age, but grown), and usually a female kitty will get along better if the new one is male. However, I'd wait a bit, so you will have a better chance of picking a kitty that you think will be compatible. Remember, cats are not bred to live in packs like dogs, so introducing cats is much harder. Be prepared to spare a room or walk in closet for the new kitty, and read up on introducing new cats; unless you are extremely lucky, just bringing in a new cat and expecting the two to immediately share space is asking for disaster. Meowma has been trying to decide whether to get a new friend for me because I have gotten so clingy since Rocky died, but remembers how hard it was to introduce us; it was nearly a year before she could leave the house without putting me in my room. Even after that we till had plenty of issues; it's probably better I remain the only cat here, and Meowma spoiling me plenty, I think.
[notify]

Ella

Purred: Wed Jan 28, '09 5:37pm PST 
Ok, so Ella will probably remain an only cat for now. I don't know if she's ready for any stress since she just got to a new home and stuff. I'm not really ready either. If I do anything it'll probably be in the summer, so that I have the time to help them get along and stuff.
[notify]

Athena (In- Memory)

Purrs and Love

Purred: Thu Jan 29, '09 10:51pm PST 
Sounds like a good plan to me. You and Ella need to get to know and trust one another, first. And if she's quiet and content, it might be best for her to be an only cat.

Ella

Purred: Fri Jan 30, '09 6:12am PST 
Thanks Athena. She seems to be the very quiet yet cuddly type, so maybe she'll remain single. I mean I don't want to ruin her perfect purrsonality wink
[notify]

(Page 9 of 10: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10