GO!

Which type of cat to get?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 7 of 10: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Philbert

Snort!

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 12:46pm PST 
I posted on this thread a while ago and was wondering, did you find your perfect kitty yet!! let us know!
[notify]

Rainbow- Kitty

Purred: Sat Jan 17, '09 5:14pm PST 
well, shedding depends on the breed, but hairless cats are DEFENETLY NOT an option.
[notify]

Tiger

Don't leave,- Mommy and Daddy!- Stay!

Purred: Sat Jan 24, '09 7:40am PST 
Our shelter lets people take home animals for a few weeks and see if the animal is a right fit. Maybe your shelter does. And can I say, especially if your apartment manager is picky, maybe an older cat is your best bet. I truly feel for the older cats who get ignored and sit so long at the shelter. They are already litter trained and domesticated. Their personalities are already predictable. Our shelter notes if they are used to other pets and children or not. I wanted an older cat to keep Tiger company, but Tiger is large and in charge and we knew she would not accept an older cat. I long to bring home a beautiful older cat whenever I am at PetSMart or the shelter, but it is not possible. It is much less work than a kitten and you know what you are getting, habits and personality wise. That may be what you should try. Many older cats are given up b/c the family moves somewhere where they can't keep a cat, allergies develop or worsen, the owner gets older and can't take care of the cat, or in our area with lots of military, the family moves out of the area. Seriously think about it.

Allison
Mother of Tiger and Kali
[notify]

Stella

Everyone visits- to see me and- only me!

Purred: Sat Jan 24, '09 12:59pm PST 
I have heard that to about behaviour problems in cats being declawed and all. I have 2 that are declawed and they are no different then when I first got them. Oliver is the sweetest cat ever he loves everyone and still is. Stella is a love bug who wants attention 24/7. Still like that. shrug Paws arent sensitive either they really could care less. When I brought Oliver home after the procedure he was acting like nothing happened and Stella was the same way. I expected them to be in more pain but never seemed to be a problem. Maybe both mine are odd balls but my friends cats are the same way to. shrug
[notify]

Stella

Everyone visits- to see me and- only me!

Purred: Sat Jan 24, '09 1:18pm PST 
I also wanted to add that I was really against declawing for the longest time. Before my and my hubby were married and lived together Mark got Oliver for himself he said he has to be declawed. I didnt like the idea but not my kitty right? Well I thought it was going to be much worse then it was. Oliver stayed the required one night and I pivked him up early the next morning as we both were worried. When I brought him back to the apartment I was shocked he was due for me to give him his last dose of pain meds and he was jumping around like a crazy man still. I thought hed be all sad and depressed and sore. But dont declaw if you dont believe in it or dont have to or anything.
[notify]

Purred: Mon Jan 26, '09 5:10pm PST 
I'm so sorry for leaving you guys hanging! I ended up getting an adult declawed shelter cat! cheer My vet told me a lot of problems with shedding and hair balls is the food so I'm getting her good high quality food and the shedding is manageable. Do you guys have any suggestions for her diet? Like I siad I'm very new to all this and not sure what to do.
[notify]

Laredo

The little meow- man

Purred: Mon Jan 26, '09 6:35pm PST 
Me and my sister were both adopted from "foster families". Lots of communities have organizations that will take in strays and socialize them to make sure they know what their personalities are like before they go to a new home. They figure out how active they are, do they get along with other animals, humans, kids, etc... It's always worked out for our mom. These organizations also make sure the animals get vet care etc... Shelters usually have programs to figure out personalities too. My mom always has two kiddies so we have each other to hang out with when she's not home. She adopted me when her other cat passed away. I love my new sister and we get along great. (okay, she did have to take some time socializing me and my sister. You need to check out how to do that if you get one cat now and another one later) Mom says her male cats have always been more cuddly lap cats for some reason. She's always had domestic short hair low maintenance cats. Good luck. You won't regret getting a cat. (CATS RULE!) We all have very different personalities and if you take the time to bond with him you'll be wrapped around his paw in no time. Meow Meow for now, Love Laredo
[notify]

MoMo- Anguiano- Smith, RIP- Jan 1

MoMo roni

Purred: Mon Jan 26, '09 7:29pm PST 
Congratulations on getting your adult cat. happy dance My Mom got me at PetCo after I was rescued. I'm a Maine Coon and am very fluffy. I was declawed by my previous owner. For some reason they couldn't take care of me and I wound up with a neighbor who didn't take care of me at all. Thank goodness for my mom and my grandparents. I have a wonderful home and we really are anti de clawing. I need to be groomed regularly, I love to eat, but I'm maintained on a hopefully healthy diet and if I need to loose weight, my grand ma cuts out some of the soft goodies. I love to go outside, but it's always within the confines of the back yard. If I'm allowed in the front, I'm well supervised. I know you will enjoy your new companion. You will learn a lot of things about taking care of a feline by trial and error. There is no wrong/right way about doing thingsapplause
[notify]

peanut

pretty baby girl

Purred: Mon Jan 26, '09 8:34pm PST 
I'm a shelter cat but I live in a house so that's suitable for me and iI get plenty of loving. You may need to make sure that where you move to like apartments will allow pets as not all of them do and some places even charge extra for pets. At least that's what I've heard and good luck in finding the right cat or cats. Oh, by and by there's a neighbor that has about 8 of them and maybe more on the way.
[notify]

Erin

Erin is a good- Irish lad.

Purred: Mon Jan 26, '09 9:31pm PST 
I agree with the other posters. Please adopt from a shelter & spend a little time away from all the other cats with any kitty cat you are interested in. I also suggest a short hair cat but all cats shed & brushing at least once a week will keep hair maintained. They also can shed quite a bit in summer so you may want to brush anytime you think about it. Keeping the house vacuumed, swept & the furniture vacuumed occassionally you should not have a lot of problem with hair. Also, if you have a favorite chair or couch just keep a sheet over it if your kitty finds it's the best place in the house to take a nap. Speaking of furniture, you may want to get a few scratching posts & keep them in different spots around the house. If you keep them around in different areas they will usually stay away from your furniture. Also, keep their nails trimmed. As far as your house smelling. If you keep the litter box cleaned out (at least every day or every other day) then you shouldn't have any smell. You might need to try out a couple of different litters to see which you like best. Make sure you get the kind that clumps. It makes it a lot easier to keep the box clean. I prefer Tidy Cat because I think it clumps great & there is very little tracking. Also, get a litter box that has a cover. Sprinkle some baking soda at least once a week after you have cleaned it out. At least every 2 months change out the litter completely. Everyone has their preferences for litter but that is my recommendation. Good luck & you will be getting a wonderful companion. I don't know what I would do without my boy, Erin. He and all my other cats before him have always been a blessing in my life.
[notify]

(Page 7 of 10: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10