GO!

Which type of cat to get?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 6 of 10: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Athena (In- Memory)

Purrs and Love- to Mom and- Toulouse

Purred: Mon Oct 6, '08 6:56pm PST 
You could call your local shelters to ask if they have the particular breed you are looking for. Not all of their cats' pictures will be on Petfinder or the shelter's webpage.

As others have already mentioned, MANY shelters cats are there through no fault of their own. What we see alot in our shelter are cats whose purrson has to go into a nursing home or has passed. These cats have led wonderful lives and suddenly their world has turned upside down! They miss their purrson and their home so much!!! Adopting one of these and providing them with, once again, a loving home, is the ultimate kindness.

Quetzal

Wild thing u- make my heart- sing ♥

Purred: Tue Oct 7, '08 8:09pm PST 
Don't have much to add to what has already been said, but just so you know, it IS possible for a breeder to take you to court and get the cat back if you break contract and get it declawed. Meowma is very good friends with a Russian Blue breeder, who sold a kitten under a strict contract against elective surgeries (like declawing), and the new owners got her four paw declawed and parts of her ears removed so they don't stand right (why anyone would do that is beyond me.. the vet who did it should have their liscence revoked), and so she took them to court, and managed to get the kitten back and also got compensated for damages. So yeah, it is very possible for a breeder to take you to court if you break contract and get a kitten declawed.

A problem with adopting a pre-declawed cat from a shelter, is that many of them are in there because their owner declawed them and they developed behavior problems as a result. Be very sure to check with the shelter manager to make sure that the cat doesn't have any of the common problems. But if your landlord won't cave on the declawing, then just keep looking- there are a lot of declawed cats in shelters- the one Meowma got three kitties from has several declawed cats in it, and it's a very small organization.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Oct 8, '08 5:40pm PST 
Quetzal, thanks for the heads up. I did notice that alot of the cats in shelters that were already declawed had behavior issues.

So I did talk to my landlord today and he didn't seem very convinced by the softpaws so I'm probably going to end up looking for a shelter kitty smile.

I'm searching petfinder now until I find the perfect one dancing
[notify]

Friar Keppe- D'Mieu

All the Better- to See You With- My Dear

Purred: Fri Oct 10, '08 8:22pm PST 
Hi there! You've gotten some GREAT advice from everyone here. I'm sure the cat you get will be lucky to have such a thoughtful mom!

As someone who has grown up with cats AND works at an animal shelter my Mom can tell you that all cats are different. Some are sweet, some are playful, some are cuddlers, and some are like dogs that greet you when you come home. The only real difference between purebreds (or semi-purebreds... snowshoes for example) is that some breeds can be more vocal or more active. But no breed is known for being better for a cat parent. (Siamese tend to be the talkative types!... )

Mom writes: Right now, I have both my boys sitting next to me as I type this. Bruce, my first resident tuxedo cat, was 3 years old when I adopted him. He greets me at the door. Sleeps next to me on my pillow and is the best napping partner I could ever ask for. And Keppe, my poor sweet tabby, was adopted about a year and a half ago at the age of 9 (after he was rescued from a bad situation). He is by far the sweetest, kindest cat I've ever known. Hates being picked up though.

The reason I write this is to tell you not to bypass the older ones. One adult cat with the purr-fect personality (that suits your lifestyle) is better than all the kittens and purebreds in the world. (And that's not to say that the kittens and purebreds aren't wonderful. They are.)

But find a cat that suits you. Try not to pick the "pretty one" or the "cute one" or even the "odd one" Pick the one you can see sharing your space with.

Looking for a cat that's mellow and laidback, or playful and active is more important than what that cat looks like. Tuxedo, tabbies, or torties, it makes no difference.

Find your cat and you've found the greatest gift.
[notify]

Garfield

that is so- meowin'

Purred: Fri Oct 10, '08 9:21pm PST 
we often have tabbys like me but my mom is a long haired cat and im a mix my oner mommy loved tabbys they shed less are great indoors and out but long haired are most of the time sweet some times a lil mean but my mom has never beenkitty
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Sat Oct 11, '08 2:27am PST 
Why not go to some of the shelters and visit, even if you don't think you see the "perfect' kitty on Petfinder. Find a shelter with several declawed cats, and just go ahead and visit. That's how Meowma found me, even though she didnt think she wanted a 'plain black kitty'. She also found a declawed tortoiseshell kitty, spayed and declawed, and a wonderful pet, so much that she hated to give Zippy to the niece for Christmas, which was the intention to begin with. That kitty looked omely as heck on Petfinder, but was really cute in person. And last week, Meowma took her man friend to a shelter, as he's become quite addicted to kitties, but the kitty they originally went to see was a bit cranky for a first timer. But they found an absolutely gorgeous, declawed and spayed, Silver Tabby who is the sweetest baby ever--that kitty didn't look like 'all that' in the picture either, but is the prettiest kitty Meoma has seen lately, not counting the pictures on Catster of course. (I think I may have already posted that last bit). Get out there and meet some cats in person, and let us know what you saw!
[notify]

Bella

bells-bells

Purred: Mon Oct 13, '08 8:24pm PST 
I browsed the first few pages, so if this was mentioned, oops. heh.

Anyways, you mentioned you don't want a cat that sheds a lot, and I didn't see anyone bring up bengal cats!

They hardly shed and are super friendly, intelligent and social.

I found Bella on petfinder.com from a local cat shelter. She's a mix so she isn't pure, but she still is very much a bengal and doesn't shed either. I haven't seen any hairs on my clothes or anything and its been over a week that we've had her.

I'll add though, you'll be very lucky if you find a bengal at a shelter, everyone wants them and they're in high demand, so if you find one, don't wait around on contacting the shelter, see the kitty asap. Maybe do a little online research on bengals and see if they sound right for you, and get to know what they're markings are like, some shelters won't know they have bengals, but you might find them anyways!

Good luck on finding the right kitty for you. smile
Its good that you're asking questions, it means you're being responsible and care.
[notify]

Tiger

Don't leave,- Mommy and Daddy!- Stay!

Purred: Thu Jan 1, '09 8:10am PST 
Haven't seen you post in a while, but I noticed you're worried about smells and mess.

This is expensive but worth it: Dyson makes a VERY nice vacuum that is designed for pet hair. It has a five year warranty, does NOT need expensive replacement filters, is half the weight of a normal vacuum, has a flexible front that does not lose suction. You can run it along walls and it picks stuff up. It literally pulls all the animal hair from carpets and furniture.

Gonzo (www.gonzocorp.com) makes a renewable pet hair removal sponge. Use it dry to wipe surfaces down (even linens and furniture) and remove hair. When it won't remove hair any longer, rinse it out, let it dry, and use it again.

Gonzo also makes the best stain remover out there. It's non-toxic and water soluble. Just squirt, use the dull side of a knife to add pressure and blot.

Gonzo also makes renewable odor removers for closets, cars, and fridges. You could certainly use one of those in the litter area. It's a mesh sac with volcanic rocks. When it stops neutralizing odor, put it outside in the sun for six hours and you can use it again.

They also make pet odor removal and pet spot removal sprays, but they come in smaller packaging, whereas the stain remover comes in a gallon for $32. and yes, that will last you a long time, even if you clean large areas of your house with it. We often clean about a 2' x 4' section near the door and a similar size area near the couch. Those are from my husband and me, though, not the cats.

For larger areas, I recommend Resolve high traffic carpet foam. Put some elbow grease into scrubbing the carpet with a clean rag after application. Cover with dry rags until dry and vacuum away. There are often coupons available for this and a can of it will do large sections 3-4 times. Kmart (if you have one near you) does double coupons every 2-4 weeks, so you can get it cheap.

The furminator is a great tool, too. They are pricey, but it really gets down to the undercoat. I'd furminate outside, however, and wear old clothes, you'll be covered in hair.

the Dyson will be an investment, but there is no other vacuum on the planet with a 5 year warranty. Cheaper vacuums seem like a better deal, but will need about $100 a year in expensive replacement filters, so it evens out over the 5 years that the vacuum is covered. The improved ability to pull so much dust and animal hair from the carpet is worth it for your health. The fact that the thing NEVER loses suction and can make "s" movements saves wear and tear on your back and shoulders. The fact that it weighs half what another vacuum does also helps your back and makes it easier to transport up and down stairs if your dwelling is multi-level. To get one, I'd simply go to best buy, and get a best buy card. Anything over a certain amount is at least 1 year interest free with payments. For some reason, they gave us until July of 2010 to pay it off. So if you're worried about the price or paying interest on a credit card, that is the way to go.

And yes, I got a Dyson for Christmas. And maybe that's lame and not romantic but it's what I wanted, and it makes my life better and more convenient. I fought my husband on getting one that was so expensive, I wanted two cheaper ones, one for upstairs and one for downstairs, but when I saw the 5 year warranty and no need for expensive filter replacements, I fell in love. Before, I had two cheaper vacuums, and I bought the replacement filters on a subscription program which was way cheaper than buying them at the store, but still it was $60 a year to get two replacements (1 per 6 months). This Dyson is infinitely better.

Hope this helps with the cleaning and hair concerns!

Allison
Mommy of Tiger and Kali
[notify]

Stormy- 2000-2009

Tall, Dark, and- Handsome.

Purred: Mon Jan 12, '09 11:44am PST 
1. Long hairs are more laid back

2. Ginger or aka Orange/cream cats are more laid back tend to be more social.

3. Shedding IMO it depends on the cat. My cat short hair but sheds little, I've seen long hair's that shed less than some short hairs. o.o? So, just factor the food quality, season and length of fur in when you look. Short hairs or low maintenance, therefore more ideal.

4. Black cats are proven to have less health problems. (look at the cats health see if it looks healthy) Eyes make sure they are clear and the cats face isn't leaking puss from the eyes. No cloudy eyes either.

Tabby and solids only difference is pattern. You might want to consider what kind of a cat you would like. In personalty wise.

Siamese tend to be vocal, and affectionate as well. You might like the Main Coon mixes, I hear they are big, and popular. Dog people tend to like their Main Coons. Honestly in my opinion you can find a domestic stray that has the same personality as a pure breed. I would personally take a quiz and take in consideration what your putting down so you can tell the shelters what your looking for. Obviously might want to get a dog friendly cat, because being a dog person you may get a dog down the road.

http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/catselectorindex.do

Heres a link to a fairly good cat breed selector. Make sure you get one with the right personality.
[notify]

Oliver

"It's gon' rain"

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 1:29am PST 
DO NOT GET YOUR CAT DECLAWED. i don't mean to sound harsh, but it is plain cruel. if it's a rule in the apartment, it's plain and simple-don't get a cat. you are putting them through terrible pain for their whole lives, taking away a lot of their natural instincts which can forever affect them. please do research before doing this. many shelters and breeders forbid from declawing their cats and i'm suprised it's still legal. if you HAVE to have a cat that is declawed look in a shelter because there are usually cats at shelters that are already declawed that don't have behavorial problms. i know it seems important, but it really is terrible. thanks for listening.
[notify]

(Page 6 of 10: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10