GO!

Am I a Maine Coon?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Fri May 30, '08 11:41am PST 
When I first became a member of Catster, it seemed that almost every day someone was asking "Am I a Maine Coon?" For some reason, these questions have slacked off. Perhaps Leila (the family cat geneticist) and I have frightened people off by our usually negative answers. (Just because your cat is big and furry doesn't mean it's a Maine Coon. On the other hand, you don't need a pedigree to be a MC, either.)

So, I thought I'd step in and fill in the gap with the totally existential question: Am I a Maine Coon? I know that somewhere in my genetic heritage I have Maine Coon ancestors from the U.S. I've heard from my relatives about how these ancestors all came over in a group in 1985, in tourist class on JAL, clutching their tickets and U.S. passports in their sweaty little paws; most of them rejected the movies in favor of listening to country western music, feverishly flipping through complimentary copies of "Japanese in Ten Easy Lessons," ordering dry Martinis and getting totally blitzed, and patting the flight attendants of either sex on the fannies as they passed by in the aisle. (Had they been Norwegian Forest Cats, things would have been MUCH more lively. Those NFCs know how to PARTY.)

But that was many, many generations ago, and although all my ancestors are Maine Coons registered with the CFA, traceable back at least 5 generations, we are all JAPANESE kitties. Does that make us FAKE Maine Coons? (Maybe this post should be in the "Fake Cats? Huh?" thread, but I felt breed issues belonged in this forum instead.)

Anyway, aside from my existential wonderings about my actual breed, I just thought this question deserved to be reinstated in this thread, as it was getting boring without it. Granted, Leila and I will probably be the only ones interested in answering it, but c'est la vie.
snoopy
[notify]

Louis- Armstrong - ILM

I'm walkin' to- New Orleans.....

Purred: Fri May 30, '08 1:02pm PST 
Meowlo Harvey,

You must know by now we could NEVER resist in posting in a Forum you have posted in!!!

By the way, meowmy found out that I am mostly Maine Coon.....a new neighbor saw me taking her for a walk, and said "What a handsome Maine Coon Cat!!" She has had Maine Coons for years, and said I had all the Maine Coon Cat traits.....Long hair, hair in ears, hair between paw paws, big feet, and big size. So, we added that to my breed on my page. But I still feel like just a regular Southern Louisiana guy kitty. MOL, MOL......big laughbig laugh At least your ancestors got to go to their new home in a comfortable plane. Mine had to arrive on a boat to get to Louisiana, many, many years ago.

But don't worry, us South Louisiana kitties know how to party too.......can you say Mardi Gras.....or we should say Mardi Paws!!!!

Catch you later big guy....

Louis Armstrong, Emma Barrett, Pete Fountain and Benny Grunch

P.S. Pete and Benny want to know if you are going to meet them and go to the LaFeline restaurant. They're applying for jobs as waiters so they can pick up girl kitties who may have had a fight with their boy kittyfriends......
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Fri May 30, '08 1:29pm PST 
We've already added some suggestions for the menu! Sea urchin, anyone? Better than Marmite/Vegemite (sorry, Tambolina!)!
dancing
[notify]

Louis- Armstrong - ILM

I'm walkin' to- New Orleans.....

Purred: Fri May 30, '08 1:35pm PST 
Hey, that sounds like a good idea, we think they should also feature crabs, crawfish, shrimp and catfish. Oh, and Benny Grunch wants chicken and ham on the menu too, and some cheese for Pete. Miss Emma is still thinking about this......and will let us know later.

Guess I am a Maine Coon, even if I live in South Louisiana, after all their are lots and lots of Siamese cats here in the U.S., and I don't think ANY of them ever lived in Siam.....sorry meowmy can't remember what the country is now called. When she was studying geography (many, many years ago) it was still Siam.

Louis Armstrong, Emma Barrett, Benny Grunch and Pete Fountain

P.S. Harvey, this this is a new record for us going off topic in a forum!!

Edited by author Fri May 30, '08 1:37pm PST

[notify]

Loki

Loki the Maine- Coon Cat

Purred: Fri May 30, '08 1:45pm PST 
Well Harvey, you are a Maine Coon, just like people from Maine, you can take the cat out of Maine, but not the Maine out of the cat !!

You could walk down a road here in Maine and be recognized as a Mainer ( or if you prefer a Maniac)

Have you looked at your ancestors on Pawpeds? I bet some are there. Maybe we are related!. I love that generations back I know some of my ancestors were natural Maine Coons- 9 to 10 generations gives me Fryeburg Tommy , and Harrison Ford ( those are town names – Harrison and Fryeburg) and Scragamuff ( love her name!) . Scragamuff and Tommy had Thunderpaws Seedrack, a “pedigreed” Maine coon.
Another line goes way back-born in 1969 was one of my ancestors - from the Whittemore lines that helped save the Maine Coon- a cat named Whittemore Stephanie Loki ( why on earth they would name a boy cat Stephanie????)

Anyway, truth be told as a breed the Maine Coon cat was almost lost. Can you imagine a world without Harvey, his sisfurs, me, my sister Maggie and countless other Maine Coons here at Catster? Well it almost happened – except in the 1960’s people realized we were being lost so they worked very hard to save the breed so we didn’t go the way of the Mexican Hairless.

So Harvey, old pal, buddy o’ mine, be proud to be a Maine Coon! Sure your ancestors moved away to spread the joy of Maine Coonism to Japan, but your roots are here on our rocky coast. I can hear that "Ayuh" in your purr !
happy dance
[notify]

Sky

Little Prissy- Timid Booty Girl

Purred: Fri May 30, '08 1:59pm PST 
You Maine's are all pretty - mommy says I'm pretty - she calls me her beautiful girl - but I'm a persian.

wow

Colleen - (Forever- Loved)

I'm Colleen,- Queen of The- Condo!

Purred: Sat May 31, '08 7:17am PST 
Meow,

My vet thinks I might be part Maine Coon and part Russian Blue because of my size 11.2 lbs and coloring.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sat May 31, '08 8:19am PST 
Colleen--hard to tell from your pics, but I think your vet may be right (although there appears to be a mixture of both regular moggy and Maine Coon in your facial configuration). In any event, you are one FABULOUS looking chick!!!
cloud 9
[notify]

Bonnie

Bonnie the- Beautiful &- Bonnie Lass

Purred: Sun Jun 1, '08 8:15pm PST 
alas, I'm a Norweign Forest so I don't even get to ask about being part Maine Coon - only if anyone's seen the "bathmat" walking around the house MOL MOLthinking
[notify]

Crockett - ADOPTED

Crockett - Back indoors- where I belong!

Purred: Sun Jun 1, '08 8:17pm PST 
Now ME on the other hand.... weighing in at 13. lbs and standing like the tall x-Stud I am, my foster mom has no doubt some part of me is MC and I even *wink* if you see my slide show

hmm that dang Beautiful Bonnie thinks she's all that and more being Norweign Forest laugh out loud
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3