GO!

when is the right time to adopt a new cat?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
mow-mow (in- loving- memory)

issa mowwww!

Purred: Wed Mar 12, '08 2:46pm PST 
i recently had to put down my cat due to cancer. i love her and i miss her so much with each day that passes. i know that she could never ever be replaced..she was such a unique kitty.

i was wondering for those who have experienced the loss of a pet, how long after did you decide to adopt a new cat? i have had cats all of my life and i really like their company. no cat will ever take mow-mow's place but i miss having a feline friend around. i am considering the option of adopting two cats into my home.
any input would be appreciated!
[notify]

♥- SPIKE- ♥- always

little buddy- furever

Purred: Wed Mar 12, '08 4:09pm PST 
most of us who are cat lovers can't bear the thought of living with out 1. there is a void that needs to be filled. how quickly you get another 1 (or 2) is no reflection of the relationship between you and the deceased. if you can handle it, whenever. i got morti exactly 1 month after spike passed. i missed having a black kitten, so i got lydia. believe me i still miss spike. i still keep his urn on my dresser. you're not replacing, you are making a new friend(s). you are also allowing for 1 (or 2) less homeless cats.
[notify]

Bee Jay (in- loving- memory)

Angel Kitty

Purred: Wed Mar 12, '08 4:16pm PST 
From what a lot of us at the Bridge say, the right time is when you find a cat (or two!) that you really feel you want to help and love. Most of us take credit for helping our earth families find new kitties to love (of course not to take our place, but to share in the love that we know our parents can provide and need to give). We have sent kitties to our earth parents as soon as a couple days after we crossed, or as long as several months later. It really depends on when you find the cat or cats that are right for you. As for getting more than one, I think that would be great. Sometimes you find kitties available that want to go with a sibling or another cat where they currently are, so if you find those special kitties that need to be together and can provide for more than one, that is super!! (I personally sent my Mommie a kittie about two months after I left her. We found him on Catster!) Whenever you decide to get a new kittie, best of luck to you. I know mow-mow will be looking down and helping you make that choice. Purrrrs, BeeJay
[notify]

Sam

Rub my belly!

Purred: Wed Mar 12, '08 6:13pm PST 
I got Sam only a week after we had to put Sophia down. I think some people were surprised that I did it so quickly but really it came down to the fact that I knew no other kitty would ever replace her and it was kitten season in Baltimore so I knew there were a ton of cats DESPERATE for homes. He was a handful when we got him, so he was definitely a distraction, but I still miss her even today. In the end it doesn't make her any less special or mean that I loved her any less. I think she also would have been proud of me for rescuing other kitties : )
[notify]

Sugar Baby

Princess of all- I survey

Purred: Wed Mar 12, '08 7:50pm PST 
The fact that are asking this question means you probably are ready. I adopted Lily (dog) 5 days after Sasha (dog) died. I know some people though it was too soon, but Sashie's spirit left me 36 hours after she breathed her last and little Miss Happy wouldn't want me to be alone.
If you live alone, you need another heartbeat in the house and rescuing an animal or two (Sugar was a rehome, not a rescue) helps them and you, too.
My only advice is to not try to find a cat just like Mow-Mow. I thinks it helps cut down on comparisons if they are totally different. I appreciate Lily more in her own right because she isn't like Sasha. I think 2 animals are better than 1 if you're not home all the time. That why Lily has Sugar Baby. We both love her company.
[notify]

issa mowwww!

Purred: Thu Mar 13, '08 8:15am PST 
thanks guys..your experiences and words of advice are great!
i miss having a feline friend around the house..they're great company.
we're looking at a few pairs of cats in our city that are available. i have a pair of two year old males that are at the top of the list.
i have had female cats most of my life, will male cats be a handful??

they're described as being really affectionate and playful and they get along with people really well. so i'm thinking it's a sure bet. also, are there chances of them spraying? they're neutered.
[notify]

Benny Grunch

Will Meow for- Treats!!!

Purred: Thu Mar 13, '08 8:31am PST 
If you are thinking about another cat, then it is the right time for you, and it is good that you are not looking for a "replacement" cat for the one who went to the Bridge, but another little furball (or two) to come in and take over your home and your heart. Good for you to want to give a deserving cat(s) a home.

Hey we are three guy cats living with our meowmy, and also Emma Barrett who is Louis' littermate. Two kitties will keep each other company while you are away from home. None of us guys have ever sprayed!! Good luck on being adopted by two more kitties, keep us posted.hughughughug

Benny Grunch, Louis Armstrong, Emma Barrett & Pete Fountain

Edited by author Thu Mar 13, '08 8:32am PST

[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Thu Mar 13, '08 9:33am PST 
We are very sorry for your loss. I think it is different for everyone. When Furie passed mom got me about 2 weeks later. She was hurting really badly and LuLu missed having another kitty around. The house seemed too quiet so she came and adopted me.

As for two boys, I think you will love them. Boy kitties are great. I am mom's first one. If you look in this fourm there is another thread titled "Boy Cat?". Take a look at that thread and you can see how others feel about boys. I think a pair is great. Mom always felt that having two kitties is much easier than having one.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing. We would love to meet your new family members. Purrrs
[notify]

Sam

Rub my belly!

Purred: Thu Mar 13, '08 10:41am PST 
I grew up with female cats and then had Sophia so Sam was my first real experience owning a male cat and I love it. In my personal experience the boys have been a little more active but they love to play with interactive toys like the feline flyer and have about 20 catnip mice that they chase around the house, so they stay busy. I've also found the boys to be bigger lovebugs....I always have one that wants to snuggle, they're always sitting on my lap or sleeping with me. Supposedly boys hit their physical peak around 2 years old and will have the most energy and be the most active around that time. I haven't seen any evidence of this, but you know.
I think getting two is definitely the way to go. Then you don't need to worry about introductions later on and it helps to get their energy out when they have someone to play with...Sam has calmed down a lot now that he has Hunter to chase : )
[notify]

issa mowwww!

Purred: Sun Mar 16, '08 1:02pm PST 
two new brother cats were just adopted into my home! i am very excited about the new additions. they're still quite shy but i'm sure they will adjust.

they're looking for some new friends!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2