GO!

Boy cat ?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Cleo (The- Queen)

I am the Queen- of the house....

Purred: Tue Mar 11, '08 4:19am PST 
Mommy wants to get a boy cat KITTEN! Her friends said she needs to be careful because they will want to get out and prowl-even if they are fixed and that Mysty and I may view a kitten as prey. What do you think?
[notify]

Mysty (The- Princess)

Lay still! I'm- grooming you!

Purred: Tue Mar 11, '08 11:18am PST 
A KITTEN!!! What is mommy thinking????
[notify]

Cleo (The- Queen)

I am the Queen- of the house....

Purred: Tue Mar 11, '08 11:19am PST 
HELP pleasedancing
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Tue Mar 11, '08 11:42am PST 
I don't think that is true. I am my mom's first boy cat ever. Growing up she always had girls. She somehow got in her mind that all boys spray, etc.. Well her sister got a boy for the first time and went on and on about how great he was and how sweet. When mom went to the HS to find a kitty after Furie passed away, she talked to the volunteers and told her about my sister LuLu who is a scardy cat but who really needed another cat around. They suggested a young male. I am the most loving and sweet cat mom has ever had.

If you get a boy, make sure you have him neutered as soon as he is old enough. This tends to curb all the reputable bad behavior. I was neutered at the HS very young. I have never sprayed or wanted to go out to find the lady cats. I mostly just want to be lazy and have pets.

LuLu did great with me. She has always been the submissive cat in the house and let Diego come in as a kitten and take the dominant role even though she was 8 years older than him. They play and are very sweet with each other.

I say go for it. Mom has since convinced 3 friends who had also been only girl cat people to try out boys and we all agree at how super sweet they are. Good luck
[notify]

Louis- Armstrong - ILM

I'm walkin' to- New Orleans.....

Purred: Tue Mar 11, '08 11:48am PST 
Hey - there are THREE boy cats in our house, and we are all love bugs, running up to people to be petted and rolling over to have our tummies rubbed. In fact, I like to give kisses so much my meowmy nicknamed me THE SMOOCHINATOR!!!

As Diego said, the most important thing is to have the little guy neutered. This helps stop the desire to roam around. And don't understand your meowmy's friend saying either of you two lady cats viewing the boy cat as prey??? Emma grooms all of us, plays with us and we all love one another.

So -go for it and get a boy cat!!!!hughug

Louis Armstrong, Pete Fountain, Benny Grunch and Emma Barrett

Edited by author Tue Mar 11, '08 11:48am PST

[notify]

Tinker Bell- 2003-2006

The life of a- friend is always- too short

Purred: Tue Mar 11, '08 12:32pm PST 
Even my female cat loved to wander. 'Course she wasn't spayed until she was two years old.
[notify]

Maus: DB- #53!

Good old- fashioned lover- boy

Purred: Tue Mar 11, '08 1:46pm PST 
I am the only boy kitty of the household and I love EVERYONE! Other cats, people, even strangers! I've never ever sprayed and wouldn't hurt a fly.
Male cats are more prone to getting FLUTD (which I have) which is when crystals form in the urine and can prevent us from being able to go pee in the litterbox. It's best to give kitties good quality canned food anyhow, but especially us males so we don't ever get that problem. Avoid fish-based foods as that has lots of ash and can contribute to it. Good luck!
[notify]

Binks

Little boy in a- cat suit

Purred: Tue Mar 11, '08 3:41pm PST 
I am probably the sweetest kitty you could ever want to meet. I am in indoor kitty who was neutered early and just have two things on my mind: love and food. I fit in very nicely with Matilda and Abbie when I was brought home. In fact, I just needed a very short introduction period. Abbie was 16 when I came here and Matilda was a year old. I gave her someone to play with and we just used Abbie as a big cuddle kitty. Abbie has since passed away, but Matilda and I are still close. I've never seen a grown cat consider a kitten to be prey. An un-neutered male cat might kill kittens in order to make the mommy cat go into heat again, but that mostly occurs with feral kitties (and I don't know how common that is). Besides, if all your kitties are spayed/neutered, that wouldn't be a problem.

Just take the introduction period slow, keep the new kitty separated from the resident kitties until they are all comfortable with one another's smells and sounds, and make sure everyone is up to date on the necessary shots and neutering. I think you'll be happy with a boy cat. We are lovers, not fighters!
[notify]

Mickey- (Angel- Dreamboat- #22)

Bigger is better

Purred: Wed Mar 12, '08 7:56am PST 
There are 3 of us boy kitties here and we are all very loving and affectionate. Actually Mom has only ever had boy kitties. Like the others have said, just make sure you have the little guy neutered and I doubt you will see any undesireable behaviors.
[notify]

Sam

Rub my belly!

Purred: Wed Mar 12, '08 10:17am PST 
We have two boys....they're a little hyper but I think its also because their young. We have found, however, that the boys are really the lovebugs. If you already have adult girls its probably better to get a boy than another girl....girls tend to be a little more territorial with one another.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3