GO!

what should mama do?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Greta (now- in kitty- heaven)

I am the QUEEN- OF THE HOUSE!

Purred: Mon Feb 11, '08 10:02am PST 
Mama's been thinking of getting me a companion. I miss my brother, even tho we didn't get along with each other but we did our best to respect each other's space. I sleep a LOT now & cry a lot more...but am healthy in all other aspects.

Mama says it's a hard decision as to who to bring home to live with me, because I was bossy toward my brother and would swat at & hiss at him. And when mama takes me to visit her parents' house, I hiss & attack the other kitties there too. I never bite or draw blood, but I just swat at them, growl and hiss. Mama says I can be so mean toward other cats but not her (she says I'm very possessive of her) - and that's how I got one of my nicknames, "Sassy Girl".

Mama also said because it's only been about 2 weeks since I lost my brother, she's not sure if maybe I'm just missing him, if I want her to play with me more (she plays with me but I want attention 24/7), or if I could use a friend.

Thanx!

Miss Greta

Edited by author Mon Feb 11, '08 10:03am PST

[notify]

♠- KILLER- ♠

DIVA with a- heart of gold!

Purred: Mon Feb 11, '08 4:48pm PST 
after spike died i gave it a month and got morticia. killer was miserable without him. it seemed at first it was an antagnostic relationship, but when he was sick i could tell exactly how bonded they were. she would try to get him to eat and play. and yes she was depressed. she peed outside her box for like a week. she looked for him and cried. she would literally try barricading me in the house(she stood by the door). when i did leave she was in a window waiting for me. when i came in she would be all over me. all of a sudden she wanted more playtime with me and was more energetic, yet she slept more out of boredom. i knew she was lonely. after her bloodtest cleared and i thought the house was sufficiently decontaminated, i got morti. spike died of FIP so i had to take these precautions. it took less than a week for killer to befriend morti. now they are pretty much sisters. so yeah getting her a friend is definitely a viable solution. try to go to a rescue. they'll be able to hook you up with a kitty with a good disposition for your situation, and you'll spring a kitty out of "jail".

Edited by author Mon Feb 11, '08 4:51pm PST

[notify]

Cleopatra- 8/4/96-7/18/- 13

Cleopatra~Queen- of de Nile

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '08 4:23am PST 
It sounds like Greta is missing her friend. It amazes me how sometimes two cats can seem to dislike each other but when one is gone, you can see how close they really are. If something happened to my brother, I would be sad, and vice versa. He gets sad when I wont play with him!

I agree, shelter kitties are great! And they can hook you up with one that is right for you and Greta! Good luck!
[notify]

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '08 10:25am PST 
PURRRRRRRRRs to my kitty buddies for your answers!

I have to go to a vet before I can go to any shelter first, because I am not up to date on my shots. (Bad mama!)

Mama is also concerned about my eyes, because I have all kinds of little black spots and specks in my irises. She thinks it's feline iris melanoma (judging by pictures she's seen & what little info she's found) but doesn't know how far it's along. She keeps looking at my eyes and said the spots have increased in the past year, and she cries that I may be going blind or be sick, even tho I show NO signs of it. Mama says that she doesn't have a lot of money left after paying over $1,000 in 2 months' time for vet bills on my brother, and is worried about how much treatment on my eyes may cost. Do any of your humans know about this disease?

Mama' s hoping the vets say everything is fine with me (including my eyes). If so, we will go to Whiskers to adopt a playmate for me. Their cats roam freely about so that will be interesting, and mama likes that idea.

Miss Greta
[notify]

SnickerDootal

Looking for love

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '08 12:38pm PST 
It sounds like she is missing her friend! I really don't know alot about cats as I do dogs and horses but!
[notify]

PUDGE&hearts- ;in- memory&heart- s;

fear me mice!

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '08 1:04pm PST 
it's common in older cats. i had 1 in my right eye that started at 15 or 16. i died at 17 from CRF. cat's eyes do goofy things after we get older. but totally see your vet first. it's pawsome you know your monetary limits before adopting again. let us know how it worked out. my niece killer sent you a pmail, did you get it?
[notify]

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '08 2:41pm PST 
Hi there, Mama said she got your pmail. (I still have to rely on her to OPEN and READ them to me)

I'm only 8 years old and I have had these terrible black specks on my right eye for at least 3 years now. They keep spreading and now they're forming in my left eye too! Mama is so worried about it, and the fact that she can't find any info doesn't help. But the specks are BLACK and not BROWN which means (if she understands right) it could be feline iris melanosis. Still she said she doesn't like the thought that maybe I am sick too and dreads the thought that I might have to go to kitty heaven too if it's really bad.

Mama said she has to know what her limits are financially because when she took my brother to the vet, she said she only had $1200....well the vet went and gave her an estimate for $1200 worth of work for ONE DAY! Of course he had heart failure but they wanted to do stuff like a complete wellness check, suction, and some other things. I heard her telling my gramma over the phone that she wouldn't authorize anything unnecessary so they managed to lower it to $400. She told the vet the reason why she couldn't authorize so much was because if she authorized the full $1200 of stuff, there'd be no other money to pay for his future treatments, and that if he didn't live that much longer there'd be no point in having things like a wellness exam done. Mama said she had this "feeling" (like a sense) that Buster wouldn't live long after his first bout w/heart failure and his recent death proved her right.
[notify]

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '08 7:17am PST 
Update:

Mama said there is a slight chance that I may be getting a companion. You can read the details in my diary!

Even tho mama said she wants to wait until I get an exam and am certified healthy, and would prefer to give it more time (mainly cuz I just love having mama all to myself), if the situation arises where there is a kitty that needs a home soon mama just couldn't turn it down. (She'd pray about it of course, as would I, because I'm a praying cat!)

Can you show us where to find information on introducing a new kitty to me? Mama and me would be so appreciative!

Thank you and PURRRs to all!

Miss Greta

Edited by author Sat Feb 16, '08 7:18am PST

[notify]

Natasha

i wanna explore - let me out!

Purred: Mon Feb 18, '08 2:38pm PST 
This is a pretty good page for advice

http://www.tulsa-animalshelter.org/tips/intro%20cat.htm
[notify]

Purred: Wed Feb 20, '08 8:10am PST 
After a lot of thought, and seeing how content I've become with being an only cat, mama has decided that it's not in my best interests to bring a new cat home.

Mama also realizes now that she simply wants a cat who will act just like Buster did (dependent on her) and that, for all practical purposes, due to a number of factors, it is not in mine or her best interests to bring a new kitty home. As much as she'd love to have 2 kitties again, it's just not possible.

Thank you everyone for your help. Mama and I appreciate it!

Miss Greta the Great
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2