GO!

What breed of cat should I get?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 37)  
1  2  3  4  
Smee

Hello

Purred: Tue Mar 25, '08 4:50am PST 
Well, if you're going mostly for looks, I'd say go to the shelter near you. Pick a pretty cat whose personality goes well with yours and you're set! smile
If you are looking to get a specific breed of cat for any reason (I'm really not knowledgeable about cat breeds... for the longest time I didn't know there were any!), try breed rescues. They take specific breeds that have been either found or abandoned, and rehome them. You're getting the breed you want and still saving a life smile
[notify]

Sarge (In- Loving- Memory)

Hey you, pay- attention to me!

Purred: Tue Mar 25, '08 10:53am PST 
Oh yes, adopt a foster cat! I don't think looks are important. Foster cats have foster parents who can tell you about a cat's personality. That way you can pick the one who matches you best. I'm a handsome boy but that's not why my Daddy loves me. He loves me for who I am and that will never change even if my appearance does. (Also you can't tell what a cat looks like in the dark when they cuddle next to you in bed.)
[notify]

Ayla

There is no- better place- than a warm lap

Purred: Tue Mar 25, '08 11:38am PST 
Breed doesn't matter as much as personality. Two of my cats are rescues - one from the street and one from a shelter. The one from the shelter was down to her last day or two. All three of my cats have wonderful temperments. Two are just plain cats of mixed breed and the one from a shelter is a Snowshoe. They are all great with family and friends and are especially gentle with my toddler. There are so many cats in shelters that really need a loving home, give one (or two!) of them a second chance. They really appreciate you so much for that!
[notify]

[[[:Snowflak- e:]]]

I am CARNIVORE:- Hear me- ROAR!!!!!!!!!!

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 8:57am PST 
My recommendation is to log onto www.petfinder.com and search for cats- no specific breed- at all the shelters and rescues in your area. One easy thing you could do is this... You can go to PetSmart or another local pet store that displays rescued cats.

I always say, RESCUE FIRST. Adopting is the most rewarding thing in the world- your taking a needy kitty (or another animal) and saving them. Rescues are usually so eager to please and you give them a life that, most likely, they never had. A lot rescued kitties were abandoned or given up or taken from their last home because they weren't being treated well, loved, or their owners did not have time to care for them. They always have great personalities and yes- you will most likely find a cat of the shorthair variety!

And remember, there are lots of kitties out there. But meet before getting- you need one who has a personality thats right for you. Do you want a lovable calm mature adult??? Or an ornery mischievous always-up-to-something cute kitten??? To want a cat that is playful 24/7, or a calm couch potato to watch TV with. Don't snatch the first purpal ya see, there are hundreds in your area looking for love!!! way to go

Oh, and a quick recommendation. I think cats are much more happy when in multicat homes, but this varies on the personality. I would try and find TWO CATS of THE SAME PERSONALITY and adopt them at the same time. This is a great thing if you think you might want twosies. This avoids resentment and such and some fighting. But be sure if you do this at the same time- DONT PUT THEM IN THE SAME KITTY CARRIER. Cats like their space and too often to people forget that.way to go

Edited by author Wed Mar 26, '08 9:03am PST

[notify]

[[[:Snowflak- e:]]]

I am CARNIVORE:- Hear me- ROAR!!!!!!!!!!

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 7:54pm PST 
BUT... if you really want an actual purebred with papers... here is an excellent breed. Chantilly/Tiffany. They are of the medium hair, and require minimal grooming! They are soft and have excellent purrrsonalities. smile
[notify]

Athena (In- Memory)

Purrs and Love- to Mom and- Toulouse

Purred: Thu Mar 27, '08 7:25pm PST 
Do you think "Guest" has adopted a cat yet? thinkingshrug

Miss Kitty

It's all about- me and my ways!

Purred: Sat Mar 29, '08 5:24pm PST 
Manx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Manx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Manx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YO U NEED A MANX