GO!

Wild Cats as Pets??

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Kioko

Meets world with- happiness.

Purred: Thu May 24, '07 3:31pm PST 
My mommy just did a research essay on Bengals and discovered that she really wants to adopt one! Just make sure that if you want one, that you research the breeders VERY CAREFULLY because some breeders are unethical and sell F-1 through F-3 as domestic Bengals (F-1 means one generation removed from the wild asian leopard cat, and so on) An F-4 Bengal is considered Studbook Tradition and also domesticated. So, be sure to do your research. The International Cat Association (TICA) allows Bengals to compete under the Championship Status. The only naturally occuring spotted domestic cat is the Egyptian Mau, which is also quite beautiful. Ocicats are domestic crosses and Savannahs are like Bengals only instead of being outcrossed with Asian Leopard Cats, they're crossed with the wild African Serval. TICA doesn't allow Savannahs to compete under Champion status, but they do allow them to compete under Advanced New Breed. I look to see that they will advance to Champion status soon. So, there are a lot of options out there. Take care, and I hope you find a domestic breed that satisfies your "wild" taste!kitty
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Thu May 24, '07 5:25pm PST 
I believe that what makes a wild animal so beautiful is the fact that it is wild.

Wild animals can be trapped and taken from their home and have their spirits broken so that they will be subservient to humans, but they'll never really be pets. They'll never take joy in bonding with humans the way true pets do.

Better to let them be what they were meant to be, and appreciate their beauty from afar.

Carson

Shrimp makes- everything- better

Purred: Thu May 24, '07 7:17pm PST 
Re: Bengals...it is not unethical for a breeder to sell an F3 cat. I am an F3 and so is my brother, Griffey. F3 cats are not eligible for show and the males are usually sterile so we are often sold as pets. We just need a home that welcomes our personalities and physical needs (big litterboxes, lots of play stuff). We are high maintenance and pretty awesome if I do say so myself!

We've even met an F2 Bengal here on Catster that is very well adjusted. It absolutely depends on the home environment and the amount of attention and love that the kitty gets.

We're lucky to have come from an excellent breeder here in southern California. There's a delicate balance between a breeder selling a cat to a good home, and the new owner being responsible and well informed.
[notify]

Thomas Jack,- TJ

"If Mom Has it,- I wants it!"

Purred: Thu May 24, '07 10:48pm PST 
Meeooww,
I am a Bengal kitten, they call me TJ "The Terror" kittenbig grin. I am very smart, want all Mom's attention and get into everything..but Mom has had a Bengal before, our dear departed Swizzle Anne. Mom says I'll calm down with age..we'll see!
Before she adopted me she adopted a Bengal girl kitten, and that one was real wild..then she found out the kittens grandma cat was some type of wildcat. Mom kept her for a week and took her back. She loved Mom, but tried to hurt Hope and Marble.
I think Bengals are as wild as Mom wants to getlaugh out loud
Purrs, TJ
[notify]

uni- (ooo-knee)

bengal beauty

Purred: Sat May 26, '07 12:14pm PST 
i don't think you will ever have to worry about a breeder selling you an f-1 through f-3 as a regular bengal. they wouldn't even be close to the same price. the closer to the asian leopard cat, the more expensive because it means that the breeder most likely has an ALC in their possesion which are hard to acquire, require special permits, special diets, special housing, etc....the more exotic = more expensive.
[notify]

Natalie the- Natcat,- Forever

Show some- respect,- youngster!

Purred: Tue Apr 10, '12 6:46am PST 
I would not suggest any 'wild' cat in the sense of a specific sort of wild born creature.
Now, there are 'feral' cats that I have bought in and worked with and have adapted quite well to our home.

I used to work at an animal shelter that was a no kill shelter/clinic. One day, a woman walked in, very tearful. In her arms, barely, was a lion cub. Yes, a real lion cub. She wanted to 'place him for adoption'.

We were dumbfounded.
We called the ASPCA (they helped with cases such as these) and the Humane Law Enforcement Agency came and he was as stunned as we were.

The story? The woman had bought the little cub 'online' from an 'exotic animal dealer'. He had cost her $6000.00. She had thought it would be 'neat to train him like a dog'.

Yes, keeping wild animals is illegal in NY, unless you have a special permit. She didn't. She didn't even know about that. She just wanted a lion. She never thought about when he would start to get big and play like a huge, rough kitten. She also had not thought of when he would need to eat one would need to feed him lots and lots of raw meat. And that maybe that would result in him needing to be housetrained like a dog, and until he was housetrained she would need a very large, large litterbox or place to do his business.

The cub was relocated to a wonderful wildlife rescue in California, and is now a large and healthy boy who has 2 girlfriends. He was extremely sweet and what a good baby...if a big one.

If you are considering a 'wild cat' why not adopt from your local shelter or rescue and tell them you want a cat on 'death row'. Save a life. You will find that it's both worthwhile and wonderful and you'll have a companion that is both exotic in that they survived, and who you'll always feel bonded to.

All the best,
Natalie's mom,
Deb
[notify]

Jack

Purred: Thu Apr 12, '12 10:56am PST 
There used to be a pet store near me that sold exotic animals. I used to enjoy going in there to look at the less exotic ones, like ferrets and guinea pigs, but over time they had everything from kangaroos, to pigs, to even a baby bobcat. Luckily the place is out of business now, but I still see the guy walking around with his monkey sometimes.

You can't expect a wild animal to adapt to living anywhere but in the wild really. I agree though, a cat on death row is bound to be plenty wild enough if you want to work with a creature that needs some TLC!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Apr 12, '12 7:35pm PST 
I am stunned that someone here is even asking this question. If you love animals please know that wild animals are wild for a reason and they should be respected as such. I cannot even stand to see animals in the circus, it's not their proper environment!!! They need to be left alone in the wild and in my opinion there is no good reason for someone to keep a wild animal as a pet. We are NOT above animals in this world in the sense that they have feelings and need their freedom as much as we do. domestic animals are different and we love ours and care for them as our children. Besides that animal could turn on you one day and if you live to tell about it, you'd be regretting it at that point.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2