GO!

Ragdoll cats

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mesha

The Alley Cat

Purred: Tue Jan 23, '07 6:23am PST 
My current cat Mesha is almost 10...I do love her but she is very independent and likes no one. I recently watched a special on Ragdoll cats and thought this maybe the next breed for me. I'm looking for a loveable cat who just loves to snuggle and is good with our dog. I also have found males to be more loving. I'm looking to talk to people who own a Ragdoll who can tell me the pros and cons of this breed.

Andrea

Edited by author Wed Mar 14, '07 11:52pm PST

[notify]

Tucker

I'm the baby

Purred: Tue Jan 23, '07 9:18am PST 
Hi, I'm also new to the ragdoll breed but my experience has been wonderful! I had a kitten that I had adopted and decided that he could benefit by having a friend. I had heard so many great thing's about ragdolls and after alot of research decided that they were the breed for me smile Tucker came home Nov. 11th and is the sweetest, most loving baby. He wasn't very well socialized when he came home and was a little skittish for awhile but in the past couple of months his personality has blossomed and he's quite a little prankster
wink
Ragdolls are not pre-disposed to any health problems,they have a low-maintainance single coat (most breeds have a double coat) which doesn't tangle badly.They do shed but not alot and only need occasional brushing. They CAN be more sensitive to vaccines ( mostly 'live' vaccines) so talk to your vet about options.
I really don't have anything negative to say about them.I've had a great experience as have most fo the ragdoll owner's that I know.
Good luck on finding your perfect kitty and if you have any question's feel free to p-mail me smile
[notify]

sagwa

spoiled cat

Purred: Tue Jan 23, '07 9:48am PST 
well I am part ragdoll and MaineCoone and I am a very social butterfly compared to my brother and sister they run and hide when company comes me I have to be the center of attention and I tend to act like a dog.
Mommy started me out on a harness and leash like a 2yrs ago and I love it and I love walking in my stroller my personallity.
I haven't had hardly any medical promblems except when I have to go to the vet for my shots and I usually walk in on my harness like a big girl and I love to ride in the car sometimes I do have accidents red face but I think that is because I get nervous.
Other than that letss see being part ragdoll mommy loves me I am kinda finiky about who picks me up that is my one badpart it is just me I don't like to be cuddled that is from the way I was raised as a kitten.
But I love to play with just about anything hmm.. if You would like to ask my mommy anything please do even thou I am only part I do look and act like a ragdoll..

*hops off of soapbox and walks off tail up in the air swishing side to side*

wave
[notify]

Spice- (1988-May- 27, 2005)

And I resent the- accusation...

Purred: Tue Jan 23, '07 8:59pm PST 
I just posted in the "most affectionate cat" thread and included my experience with a ragdoll. I am sure that how you socialize the cat has a lot to do with it. My impression of the Ragdoll, however, is that they were bred for that very reason...to be docile lapcats who will pretty much allow themselves to be handled in any way. This has worked out well for my friend who has a young daughter who hauls the cat around like a---well---a ragdoll.
To me, however, I find it too docile. I mean, while it is nice to have a cat that will just lay there without protest, it is also nice to have a cat who will assert his or her personality and let you know when he or she wants to sit with you.

Edited by author Tue Jan 23, '07 9:01pm PST

[notify]

Boots

Old Softy

Purred: Wed Jan 24, '07 2:41am PST 
Ok this may sound kind of funny from me a Ragdoll cat rescuer but...Not everyone should own a Ragdoll!
I have my two Ragdoll's and one Ragdoll rescue girl as part of my family at this time (as well as several domestics and one Bengal). I rescue Ragdoll Cats so I have seen the best of them and the worst of them come through my home. And what happens to them when they are not treated like Ragdoll's need to be or as well as any cat should be treated. And what they are like coming from bad breeders!
Some of these cats have had both situation in their short lives bad breeding and bad homes!
Ever since they were promoted as one of Oprah's best things a couple of years ago the number of Ragdoll breeders good and bad has sky rocketed! Now to those wanting only Ragdoll Kittens, or to those wannabe breeders wanting to make money this may sound like a good thing!
How this effected Ragdoll Rescue and Ragdoll Cats was not a "good thing" however.
Breeder's tripled so you can imagine how many more Ragdoll Cats that put out there needing homes! From good breeders and a lot of bad or BYB breeders. First money shown gets a kitten the breeders motto and that means that many just don't care where the cat ends up so they are not always treated well.
The tag line that just about every breeder puts on the web about what a Ragdoll should be like is way to stereotypical. It probably is for most breeds but I know first hand with Ragdoll's.
To say that all Ragdoll's are "all" docile, "all" lap cats. is like saying that because I am Irish I must have red hair and love beer!
Many may be just like that "stereotypical" Ragdoll, like the ones mentioned on every breeders webpage. My two boy's have some obvious Ragdoll traits.
The problem is that if this stereotypical "puppy like" "floppy" "lap cat" "friendly" " easily adjustable" cat turns out to be shy, hates laps and starts peeing on things when your first child is born or you adopt a puppy and don't bother to introduce them properly or even if you do. Gosh people don't want "that cat" it isn't perfect and it turned out to be a "cat" after all! Not a stuffed Ragdoll that a 2 year old could do anything to with out being hurt or wouldn't end up with potty issues when it encountered to many changes. Honesty is the best policy, even if it talks someone out of getting a cat, because it just might mean that "that cat" won't ever end up in a kill shelter or needing rescue and trust me I would love to be put out of business!
People contact me all the time wanting a guaranteed perfect cat. A cheaper than a breeder Ragdoll kitten! If I ever get a purebred Ragdoll kitten in rescue I know it will be from a really bad breeder and probably not be anything like a perfect Ragdoll! They want this color of cat at this age and they want it no matter what even if it won't fit in with their family situation. I am picky way picky most think but ya know I'm not a breeder it is not first come first served I work for the cats not the cash!
I have seen way to many people just have to have a purebred Ragdoll kitten, pay 500-700 (around here) for one, only to want to give it away a year or so later! This disposable society really hurts our furry friends most.
The truth about Ragdoll's as I have learned in my experience with them:
None of the rescued Ragdoll's I've fostered nor are my own Ragdoll's lap cats but that is not to say there aren't some Ragdoll's out there who love laps.
They can be easy going and docile in fact I thought there was something wrong with my two Ragdoll's when I brought them home when they were babies! They didn't climb the curtains they slept a lot and didn't bite and scratch each other when we played! Being docile can be deceiving to many for a long time people though that they did not feel pain like other cats did and that they didn't like heights so it was alright to leave them on a 12 story balcony with out fear!
Myy boy's have been loved and not mistreated since coming to me at 9 and 10 weeks old, un like many of the Rescued Ragdoll's I see. They were however taken away from their moms too young and show some issues from that. They were not properly socialized either. One was sort of a Rescue from a not so good breeder who breeds for money only and he was not in very good shape when I got him both were sick almost died from an upper respiratory infection, the stress of being not properly weaned and old enough to be adopted yet for Ragdoll's I think played a part in that. It is so important that they not leave Mom till they are naturally weaned and at least 12 weeks.
Ragdoll's are so very beautiful oh my gosh so very handsome I have 100's of photo's of my boy's!
Yes I love them all each color and marking even the non perfect ones, but I have also owned and loved domestics cats all my life and know that cats will be cats after all, purebred or not! I find them all beautiful in different way's too!
I also firmly believe that, my domestics because I love them and treat them how they should be treated are very much like my Ragdoll's in that they will follow me around like puppy dogs, most of my cats are laid back because I am.
I get kind of upset when people want a lap cat, or one that will follow them around but not unless it is a Ragdoll, if the domestic I have is exactly what they are looking for it should not matter what it looks like in my opinion. I have met way more domestics that are lap cats than Ragdoll's simply because they are smaller and fit better on a lap! My Ragdoll's don't really care for being held much they are so big you have to be careful to support them well or they may be hurt. I love big cats even my domestics tend to get large. But many people don't stop to think what a large cat entails. Sort of like the difference in scooping the doo doo of a Chi over a St. Bernard! Big stinky piles and mine big guy does not cover eeewww!
My boy's do flop (go limp hence the name Ragdoll) but one didn't flop till he was over 2 years old. Not all Rag's will though.
Neither one will greet people they don't know in fact my big guy is the biggest chicken in the house! Or should I say parrot! Ever had a 15 pound 4 foot long cat think he can perch on your shoulder like a parrot? Mine does!
Ragdoll's tend to bond with one person and I think it is really hard on them if that person should die or leave them. So finding a similar home to what they knew if it was a good one is important for rescued Ragdoll's.
Ragdoll's do have HCM ( a heart deformity) running through many well known breeders lines so make sure if you go to a breeder that they can show that they scanned the parents for HCM and they were negative! HCM cat will not live much past 2 and sometimes won't make it even to that age. Many good breeders are working hard to eradicate this problem but a BYB won't care.
Ragdoll's can be prone to being sensitive to vaccinations specially Leukemia vaccine! I lived and learned this one.
What I look for in families for Ragdoll's:
Fairly quiet and stable household.
Ragdoll's CAN be easily upset by too much activity going on, if you have a lot of small kids or many people coming and going all the time or plan on raising Jack Russell terriers your probably not the best match for this breed. If you are the type that pretty much sits around and reads or watch TV in your spare time sort of family it should work out well!
People who don't plan on having children or theirs are older would be the family I would look for if the Ragdoll has been abused or is skittish for some other reason like bad breeding.
I am very careful when matching adult Ragdoll's with younger couples who want to start a family. I have been contacted by so many people who have adult Ragdoll's they adopted as kittens, then had a baby and the Ragdoll who is used to being the baby is upset and starts not using it's litter box!
So if you plan on starting a family wait to adopt the kitten or adult cat who was treated well by children after the baby is born or about the same time so they can grow up together if it is a kitten and teach your child early on that they must be gentle with smaller living things it is a valuable lesson.
If I were a breeder I would not let a family with very small children say 2-5 who have not had cats in their lives adopt a kitten. My kids grew up with cats so they knew early on how to treat them and they were not allowed to mistreat them even in the terrible 2's! I would also not and don't adopt kittens to the advanced seniors I don't want the cat outliving them and needing a home again in it's life time if I can help it!
People who are not looking for a dog in cats clothing.
People who value their cat as a family member not just a pet.
People who understand that de clawing is mutilation and is not allowed by us for that reason!
All that said they are a great breed of cat and I am so lucky to have mine! Just be sure you are the right type of family for this breed before you bring one into your family. do your research talk to people like me who know the dark side of the breed that breeders won't talk about or simply have not seen! If you must have a kitten and can't talk into adopting a mixed breed kitten who might not live if you don't, that's when you should talk to breeders, many of them. Ask other people for recommendations heck ask me even I have breeders who work closely with my rescue and even though I would love to see them breed less and be more careful when adopted them out, I also know how much they care about the cats in their care and that they will take them back if you couldn't keep them! Always ask that question of a breeder if they won't take them back or help you rehome them forget it! But most of all do consider an adult rescue cat first!
Sorry for the book I hope you can tell I am passionate about what I do and this breed and cats in general!
Sharla
Ragdoll Rescue NW
[notify]

Mesha

The Alley Cat

Purred: Wed Jan 24, '07 3:09am PST 
Thank you for everyones input on the breed...I appreciate everyone being honest and giving me their experiences. What about when you go on vacation...since they love so much attention what happens when your away...do they get very depressed? I usually just have someone stop over for 30 minutes to feed and cleanup after my cat. Mesha gets very upset and will really act up when we are gone. How to you go about finding a good breeder?

Andrea
[notify]

Tucker

I'm the baby

Purred: Wed Jan 24, '07 10:24am PST 
Sharla, thanks for all of the information.I didn't know about HCM and didn't ask the breeder about it when we brought Tucker home. frown
I'll check this out with my Vet and hope for the best confused
As far as leaving a Ragdoll alone goes, Tucker hasn't been left at home for more than a few hour's before. I do know that if I go outside or in another room he will cry for me and pace until I come back. He's REALLY attached! Even with Diesel to keep him company he want's ME all of the time. It's great, I'm very happy that he love's me but I do worry about what will happen if we leave for the night. My parent's are close by and both of my cat's like them and feel comfortable with them and so I guess that if we could convince them to house-sit he might be all right (hopefully) thinking
[notify]

Mr.- Bigglesworth- (Mr. B)

Prince Charming

Purred: Thu Jan 25, '07 11:34am PST 
hi all! smile My mommy thought maybe I was part Maine Coon because of my appearance and some of my behaviors, but now she wonders if maybe I'm part Ragdoll too, even though I don't have blue eyes. No one understands, or believes her, when she says I don't like to be left alone, and that I'm very attached to her. They think she's crazy for paying a sitter to come stay with me. She tells them that having someone just feed me isn't enough, she wants someone to stay with me a little awhile. How can she find out what my breed is? My vet doesn't know frown
Thanks smile
[notify]

Mesha

The Alley Cat

Purred: Fri Feb 2, '07 7:11am PST 
Does anyone know of a free message board for Ragdoll cat owners?

Andrea
[notify]

Tucker

I'm the baby

Purred: Sat Feb 3, '07 8:21pm PST 
The only message board that I could find was in the U.K.
Here's the address..... www.ragdoll-forum.co.uk/index.php
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3