GO!

Did You Know There Are Too Many Kittens Down South and Not Enough Up North?

This is a special place for Catsters to help Catsters arrange for community transport of rescues or cats being re-homed. Even though we love our community, please remember this is the Internet. Be sure not to post personal information publicly or share it prematurely; always use your best judgment when working with people unknown to you. Thanks for helping our furry friends get to their furrever homes!

Cow

Hissssssssss!

Purred: Fri Mar 22, '13 1:25pm PST 
Catster writer Dorian Wagner wants to transport the unwanted kittens from the states in the South (think Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina) up north, where people would love to have them!

Kitten season is right around the corner so we have to act fast!

Edited by author Fri Mar 22, '13 1:26pm PST

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Mar 22, '13 2:03pm PST 
This just doesn't seem right. I see the lists of death row cats in New York every night. They don't all get adopted and kitten season is right around the corner. I can't imagine it's necessary to bring out of state cats up here to add to the problem. What am I missing?
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Fri Mar 22, '13 7:29pm PST 
I'd love to know where she's getting her information from! thinking

I support several rescues/shelters in Illinois and Michigan and I don't see any evidence of a shortage of homeless cats in these parts. There are still too many and not enough homes as it is. cry

For comparison, I just went to Petfinder and ran a search of adoptable cats in the Chicago area and came up with 4976 results, and 4282 in the Detroit area. When I ran the same search for Atlanta, the number was 3338 and for Miami it was 2528.

I have to think that the energy would probably be better spent on promoting spaying and neutering.
shrug

Moo

Moo the Menace- (and Lovebug)

Purred: Sat Mar 23, '13 6:54am PST 
Hi BK and Beatrice!

The rescues I have worked with have told me they have waiting lists for adoptable kittens - meaning adoptable age, healthy babies.

They sure do have plenty of adult cats! But I guess during the winter months, the strays aren't feeling as frisky so there isn't as many kittens. I think it is also worse in some areas than others.

Some places are excellent at TNR, and those places are the ones that see the most "shortage" of kittens during these times. Spay/neuter is the way to go!

But if a shelter does have a waiting list for kittens (and there are ones that do!), then best to save some from somewhere, anywhere. I just happen to live in South Florida, so those are the animal controls I work with.

I wrote this hoping to inspire others to do the same and think about moving kittens around to where there are less numbers. It is true -- NY is awful, and so are many other places. Perhaps a system like this could help there as well!

No need to think of just certain cities of places. Just where there is need or room for a few furry paws to be safe and get the time they need to find the forever homes they deserve. Thanks for reading and commenting. Hope this helps it makes more sense!

--Dorian (and Pimp and Moo!)
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Fri May 10, '13 10:20pm PST 
i dont know where the information from the article is coming from. Here in the midwest there are tons of kittens. Michigan shelters are extremely hopeless in their situations. I personally worked with some of the highest kill rate animal controls in the entire midwest (maybe even the USA)

People snatch up kittens quickly but dump them off at around 1-2 years. I think we need to look at numbers as a whole, not divided by age. Cats are kittens and kittens are cats, after all.
[notify]

Angel-Nu

puke with a- ribbon in it!

Purred: Fri May 10, '13 10:25pm PST 
i also wonder if its more acceptable to buy kittens from private parties, like craigslist ads and "kitten" ads in the newspaper up here. Also, many people want "baby kittens" and not older kittens. If a kitten is older than 3 months you can bet it will be viewed as an adult to most people. I cant tell you how many potential adopters for my rescue called and turned down my kittens because they were too old at 12 weeks. I kept them for so long so they could get fixed, but people only care about cuteness and "growing up with the family"
[notify]

Dora (April- 1998 - January 201

Intact Claw- WoooMan!

Purred: Wed May 15, '13 6:14pm PST 
shrug HUH I don't get this. Better to support Feral TNR and let's keep all cats out of shelters rather than moving them around??
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 5:45pm PST 
I am in Maine -- what I consider the "real" north smile -- and my dog is a rescue from down south (Mississippi). She was 13 weeks old, and considered "too old" -- we were the last stop on the route, literally nobody wanted her -- we took her on her final day before she was to head back to Mississippi, probably to be put down. She is the best dog.

This practice is common with dog rescue groups, as I understand -- but I thought it had more to do with the way dogs were treated in the South (by people, or by shelters - perhaps there's less kill shelters in some parts of the north? Not sure...)

Moving animals from high-kill areas to high-kill areas doesn't seem to serve a purpose, and neither does redistribution if it doesn't ultimately equal adopting out. The only thing that makes sense is if people are finding homes for these guys, AND if by relocating animals to other foster homes/rescue groups, they allow more space to rescue more.

Edited by author Wed Jul 10, '13 5:50pm PST

[notify]

Mordecai- Sabestain

I\'m a tough guy- - shh no I am not

Purred: Fri Oct 4, '13 10:05am PST 
I have friends all over the US and I am always hearing about the kitty over population problems! Reality is, there is to many of them every where. I would like to know where these statistics are from and the sample size etc.
[notify]

Purred: Sat Jan 11, '14 1:50pm PST 
I actually have heard from a shelter worker (not sure she definitely was a reliable source) that this is an issue for both dogs and cats along the east coast. In the northeast, efforts to spay and neuter have been successful so much that there aren't enough puppies and kittens to meet the demand of those who only want to adopt a puppy or kitten (sadly there are PLENTY of non-baby pets available). However, in the south, the rates of spaying and neutering aren't as high, so that there are more puppies and kittens than there are homes for. She told me that her shelter (in massachusetts) was involved with a program where puppies and kittens from down south are brought up north to be adopted.
[notify]