GO!

Weekend trips to see family in Idaho

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Ebony

Ebby

Purred: Thu May 15, '14 1:48pm PST 
So my husband and I have been going back and forth with this- see I'm originally from Idaho and we live in Utah. We try to see my family & friends once a month or whenever we can find the best weekends to do it.

We aren't sure what we're going to do with Ebony and Ivory when we go to Idaho to see my family. He's saying that we could take them with us. The problem with that is my parents have an indoor cat that I had to leave with them and I don't really know how territorial she is, if she is at all and she's not spayed. Plus I don't want to risk Ebony and Ivory getting out of my parents house and getting hit on the highway (my parents live right next to a pretty busy highway in the country)

I don't know if we should have a friend stay with them over the 2 almost 3 days we'd be gone? Or if we should take them with us and just keep a close eye on them? I am really stuck and I NO idea what to do because I don't want to just LEAVE them and have them think we abandoned them.
HELP!!
-Ebony and Ivory's mommy
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Thu May 15, '14 2:59pm PST 
Honestly - you are better off having a friend take care of them while you are gone. Most cats do not like to travel, and I think that it would be more stressful for them than to have you leave here and there. They are most comfortable in their home. When you leave, put an old tshirt that you or hubby wore on the bed, so they have things that smell like you guys for comfort. I just think there are too many negatives in that situation than positives, but it is just my opinion. To set an example, my son just got married, and they went on vacation for 2 weeks. He lives about an hour away, so there was no way I could stop there every day to feed his kitty. So he came here for that time. It took a few days for him to feel relaxed, and for my 4 to get used to him. Just when he was getting comfortable, it was time to go back, and get all adjusted again. This would be happening monthly for your kits - that is alot of stress. Not to mention that your family time will consist of you worrying about them getting out or fighting with the other cat - not a good visit for you either. Just my 2 cents. wave
[notify]

Ebony

Ebby

Purred: Wed Jul 16, '14 10:38pm PST 
Thank you for the advice! I didn't realize anyone had replied! My mother-in-law ended up checking up on them for us. She would text me and let me know how they were.
Next time we go on a trip and can't take them, I will definitely have to try the t-shirt idea. I never thought about that before! Thank you again! smile
[notify]