GO!

Should I bring my cat to make friends?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Rice

Trickster

Purred: Mon May 5, '14 4:58am PST 
My cat is a lovely and sweet 11 month year old girl. I took her in when she was 2 months, so most likely she doesn't have memory of other cats, nor has seen other animals. She doesn't even act cat-like sometimes lol!

She means the world to me. It has struck me that she maybe lacking some cat influence and is lonely as I go to work everyday and she stays at home with nothing to do. Sadly, I am not in a position to get another cat at the moment.

Would it be a good idea to bring her to visit my friend who has friendly cats to get some cat influence and have some fun? Or will they lash out at each other >_>
[notify]

Marlin- Purrkins

Welcome to Wild- Kingdom!

Purred: Tue May 6, '14 6:01pm PST 
I think taking your cat on a "play date" would not be a good idea. Most cats take a while to get acclimated with each other and taking an unknown cat into an established clowder could have disastrous results. If you feel your cat needs companionship consider getting another cat, but be prepared for a lengthy period of time for them to get along and accept each other.
Can you find an interactive toy that might engage her while you are not home? Maybe a video designed for cats might be just the thing she needs.
Most cats, being somewhat solitary creatures, are fine all by themselves if you are able to give them a bit of attention each day. Every cat has it's own "saturation" level - some cats need a lot of attention, other cats are fine with a minimal amount of interaction. You need to determine what your cats needs are on an individual basis.
Best of luck!

Edited by author Tue May 6, '14 6:04pm PST

[notify]

Rice

Trickster

Purred: Thu May 8, '14 1:19am PST 
I see , thank you for your response. I think Rice maybe okay with being alone after all she has been all this time, it is just me that feels that she is lonely shrug I don't want to put her in a difficult position by bringing her to a play date
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Thu May 15, '14 3:02pm PST 
It is a nice thought that you want her to be happy. I think she would be happiest to play with you every day. Kitties do not like change, and I think it would be stressful for her, even though you are well intentioned. There is no guarantee that these two would even get along let alone play. Is there a windos she can look out of to see birdies & squirrels? A cat tree to climb? Those are the things she needs along with you to be happiest. wave
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Thu May 15, '14 9:18pm PST 
It's Stella and the Grays. Our person agrees that cats don't need play dates or interaction with other cats, if they are not used to it. But something that might be useful would be to have people who visit you to play with the cat and teach her that other people are fun. Our person leads a very reclusive life and as a result we three are afraid of anyone who comes in the house for any reason. We have a cat sitter who has never actually seen us. [She comes in, puts down food and cleans dirty pans, but no cats.]

Part of this is temperament, but some of this is just lack of exposure to people. She used to have a kitty who actually ran to the door when someone knocked, but she was raised by someone else.

Good luck with Rice and improving her life! wave
[notify]