GO!

Roadtrips and Camping?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Katara

Purred: Fri Jan 3, '14 3:22am PST 
I am planning an extended road trip, at least a few months and I really want to take Katara with me. She doesn't mind riding in the car provided she doesn't have to stay in her carrier. She walks on a harness with me outside once in a while - I think she may have been a wild kitty before I adopted her. She is mostly an indoor kitty who is used to small spaces (we have had her confined to our room most of the time since we got her, unless she somehow escapes or we take her out.

I would totally go for just leaving her home but I plan on going on this trip once my lease is up so that won't be an option. I don't have any friends who could watch her because they have either already met their pet limit, have other vicious pets, or can't have her in their home. I don't want to put her in a kennel because I could be gone anywhere from 3-6 months and that would rack up quickly.

I am planning on taking her tent camping and the tent I have is large enough that she would have plenty of room to play and it has a screen porch where she can lounge if she likes.

Does anyone have any experience taking their furbaby on a week+ trip where you may have left them alone? I would love any advice I could get.
[notify]

Pepper

Queen of the- Cheetahs and- Wiggy's Wife!

Purred: Sun Jan 5, '14 9:57pm PST 
Pepper travels with us. She has even camped out. I have her use to being on a tie out in her harness but supervised. I just pretty much kept her with me or within sight at all times. If you need to leave her in the tent alone I would suggest a large kennel or cage for her own safety. Roomy for her to be able to eat, potty, play and nap. When you are there and if she is ok with living in the tent loose, you can place the kennel outside to get it out of the way while you are there with her and at bedtime.
[notify]