GO!

Hard or soft carrier for road trip?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Wed Sep 14, '11 9:49pm PST 
I will be moving with my dear little Isabelle and our new destination is 6 hours away. I have a hard sided carrier for her already, but it rattles a bit and she detests it. I was considering getting a large soft sided carrier, but is it safer to have hard in case of an accident??

Also, can anyone recommend the SturdiBag or SleepPod? Which one?? shrug
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Thu Sep 15, '11 7:02am PST 
I don't have any experience with the soft carriers, but I do with the rattling hard carrier. Is the rattle from the door? That's what our hard carriers do, and our cubs also hate it. So do I, it's annoying!

I wrapped a large bungee cord around the hard carrier, because I am PARANOID about those plastic clips breaking open and having the kitties fall out and be injured or escaping. To stop the rattling door, I attached a small bungee to the hinge and stretched across the door and hooked it to the wraparound bungee. This keeps everything quiet, and it's not foolproof security, but it makes me less worried that the door will fly open or that the clips will break and the bottom will fall out when being carried.

If you do go with the hard carrier, I would suggest putting a soft bed or mat inside so your kitty has a comfy spot to curl up. My cats like the West Paw sleeping mats for lounging around the house, so I got small ones for the carriers. They still hate to go for rides, but these things have helped.
[notify]

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Thu Sep 15, '11 9:20am PST 
I have a large original Sherpa carrier (blue). It is very nice and comfortable. Originally I got it for Gimli when he was in a cat show in February, 2007 in Waco, TX which is about an hour and a half away from us. We don't travel far at all. I got it from petguys.com. I did a lot of pricing and the price I paid for it was the cheapest anywhere around.

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Thu Sep 15, '11 9:43am PST 
Oh, Isabelle, do I feel sorry for you, having to make "the TRIP"! Mom makes us do it when she goes to her cabin in the mountains - it's about a 5-1/2-hour trip, and we all hide when we know Mom's gonna make it. frown

Blue and I have *large* hardsided kennels - too large for a handle. Mom puts in a soft pad and a small litterbox - just in case. Blue's kennel door rattles, but Mom fixes that with a bungee cord hooked to the door and to one of the little "windows" on the side. That works - if only she could bungee his mouth shut; the twerp meows for the first half hour! Me, I just crawl *under* the pad and hide. It's really not so bad - but I wouldn't want Mom to know that!!

Oh, before I forget: make sure you're wearing a harness w. an i.d. tag, rabies tag, and any other helpful info just in case. . .mine has a pet-finder tag and my health insurance tag as well. And I'm assuming you *are* chipped?
[notify]

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Thu Sep 15, '11 9:44am PST 
I just remembered that there was a discussion a while back about carriers. Here is the forum:
http://www.catster.com/forums/Cats_and_Travel/thread/698454

big grin

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Fri Sep 16, '11 6:55pm PST 
Yes, it's the door that rattles! Sounds like a little bungee is the way to go. I think I'll stick with my hard carrier, and yes, of course we will put lots of soft blankies on the bottom. smile I am thinking about getting some puppy pads and put one or two on as the top layers, in case she has an accident (puke or poop) from being nervous and then I can just rip them out and her bedding won't get soiled.

You know, with as much stress as the move is causing me, the thing I'm worried about the most? My KITTY!!! eek Poor, poor baby. cry
[notify]