GO!

My baby won't come out from under the bed (new house)...

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Thomas Ray- Scott

I feel so- special to be a- poo poo.

Purred: Mon Apr 6, '09 6:37pm PST 
Hi everyone...my husband and I were married on March 31, and left for our honeymoon on the same day. Thomas (he is six years old) is very attached to me and gets very upset when I leave...when we came back on April 5 (yesterday), he was so happy to see me. However, we had already moved most of our things into our new house that Thomas has not yet been in because of all of the housework we've needed to do.

Bridget, our younger baby, has already started warming up to the new house, but Thomas has been under the bed for a straight 24 hours now. Every once in a while I'll bring him out and sing to him and hold him, but he's constantly shaking and if I let him go he scurries back under the bed. I've seen him use his litterbox once, but I haven't seen him eat yet.

My question is...is there anything I can do to help Thomas get accustomed to the new home? I've already walked him around the house while petting him and talking softly to him, and I keep hoping he'll explore on his own like Bridget did. I'm worried that if this continues he'll get sick from lack of eating and such. Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. smile
[notify]

Luke

The Silly Guy

Purred: Mon Apr 6, '09 8:02pm PST 
We were also scared when we came to our new home. Mom kept us in a small room, a bathroom, for the first couple of nights so we were in a small "safe" place. She kept our food, water, bed, blankets, and litterbox in the room with us and would come in every so often to pet us and give us love. By the third night, we wanted out of that room and we started exploring our new house to get familiar with the new surroundings.

Sometimes the bigger rooms can be too overwhelming at first, and kitties will naturally hide under furniture to feel safe. We bet Thomas will adjust eventually to his new home, just like we did. Good luck!
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Wed Apr 8, '09 1:41am PST 
I agree with Luke...keep a litterbox, food and water close to Thomas' hiding place.

He will grow accustomed to his new surroundings, he just needs time. Keep reassuring him like you have been. After a while, he'll feel comfortable wandering the place and you can move the litterbox to a more appropriate spot and you can feed him where you'd like him and Bridget to eat.

Hoping you adjust soon, Thomas!
hug

Maggie (In- Loving- Memory)

07/15/91 - 07/28/08

Purred: Wed Apr 8, '09 7:04am PST 
Awww poor Thomas!

Fear Not! When my dads moved into a new apartment in 1997, I did pretty much the same thing. We had moved from a one level apartment that I had been in for 8 years and loved very much.

The new apartment was a rowhouse and had a second floor! The minute they opened my carrier, I flipped out and ran up the stairs to the second bedroom. There was a bookcase that had two sliding doors on the bottom for storage.

I went inside and sat with my face in the corner of the bookcase for almost THREE days! I didn't eat, drink or go to the litterbox (at least from what my dads could see). On the third day, I ventured out and was fine!

Not to worry at all... Thomas will come out from under the bed and will start eating and playing in no time. A good suggestion is what others said... put the food and water near the bed in case he gets hungry before he's ready to explore his new home!

Good Luck!

Love,
Angel Maggie
[notify]