GO!

Help/Advice Needed ASAP .. Over-worrying kitty parent +7 cats+ forclosure = DISASTER!

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Franky

MROWWWW !

Purred: Mon Mar 30, '09 6:31am PST 
Hello all,

I didn't know where to put this.. but I am close to the point where I am going to lose my mind. My family consists of 4 (My Boyfriend, My Disabled mother, my 13 year old sister and myself) plus 7 heavenly cats that I wouldn't be able to live without. I'm sure you all know where I'm coming from.

About 2 years ago my parents refinanced our house because of a pipe-dream small business that never took off, raising our monthly payments on the house. Soon after, my jerk of a father left the household because of unresolvable differences between him and my mom. With that, he took his paycheck along with him which was used to pay the house payments. My mother cannot work and her disability could not pay over a grand a month plus other monthly bills and stay afloat, even with the help of my boyfriends job.

Needless to say, we fell under... Fast. She tried asking them to lower the payments but they refused. Fast forward a year and they filed for bankruptcy which held off the foreclosure for 6 or so months. Fast forward another year and the foreclosure is at an end. We now are desperately looking for a place to live without having to give up our treasured and oh so loved animals.

We don't know how long we have, we have to call someone tomorrow to find out for sure... And although my boyfriend and I are in our early 20's, we can't move out on our own because we swore that we'd take care of my mother who has MS and parent my sister.

Now we are scrambling fast to find a place to go and I don't know where to start or who to turn to. I know 7 cats is a lot... but I won't give them up. I'm really scared... I'm to the point of throwing up and I just don't know what to do. We have been looking online and through the paper for pet friendly apartments, but they turn out to be 2 cats maximum and most require all pets to be declawed, which I am VERY against. I, myself, have been looking for homes for rent.. but to find a place, in a good neighborhood is like looking for a needle in a haystack. So if anyone has a home for rent in Milwaukee, WI... let me know.

I do have one question...

Would it be possible to rent a home through a Realtor company?

Otherwise, I'm just looking for peace of mind because I am absolutely on the brink of tears cry... So, If any of you have any advice or helpful tips... please share.. It would be much appreciated.
[notify]

Emma Barrett

It\'s good to be- the Queen

Purred: Mon Mar 30, '09 7:31am PST 
Franky:

I work for a social service agency - United Cerebral Palsy, but we are in South Louisiana. So, put my thinking cap on, and checked on the Internet. Below are some agencies and phone numbers that might be of some help. Be sure to mention your mother having Multiple Sclerosis, as her being handicapped might mean there is additonal help in finding housing, etc.

Since I do not know where in Milwaukee you live, I just copied down all of the contacts I found:

1) Kenoska Country Dept. of Human Services
2262-605-6528 Ron Rogers, Lead Supervisor

2) La Causa Family Resource Center
414-902-1624 Staci Hansen

3) Family Resource Center of Sherman Park
414-444-5760 Gloria Tanner

4) St. Vincent de Paul Society of Milwaukee
414-374-0109 Stephany Pruitt

Hope one of these agencies can be of some help, and please keep us posted. In the meantime we will certainly be purring and praying for your family.
[notify]

Franky

MROWWWW !

Purred: Mon Mar 30, '09 7:47am PST 
Thanks so much!! I am in Milwaukee, WI. So I'm not sure which number to call.

Anyways, my boyfriends family lives in an apartment and is going to ask their landlord if he is looking for tenants here in our part of town, so hopefully, there might be a lead.

The fact that my mother is disabled is really hard... she can't talk to anyone on the phone because her tongue gets twisted and her words don't come out to coherently, making it hard for her to explain our situation to anyone. So thankfully, my boyfriend - whom is basically is my fiance... just not official yet - is going to call the guy to find out a time frame that we have to be out or if there are any other options. We are willing to rent from them at a better price, but am unsure if this is possible.

Thank you so much for keeping me in your purrayers.. I just know that whenever I am in a bind with my kitties, that I can come here and let go and start to feel better.
[notify]

Emma Barrett

It\'s good to be- the Queen

Purred: Mon Mar 30, '09 7:57am PST 
Forgot to ask, does your mom have anyone coming in to help her with bathing, etc......or does she need this type of help? And....DUH....I forgot to check for the United Cerebral Palsy office in Milwaukee.....here is the contact info:

United Cerebral Palsy of Milwaukee 414-329-4500. Ask to speak to the person in charge of Independent Living. They offer help in finding affordable housing, as well as having someone come to the house to assist your mom with bathing, dressing, cooking meals, etc. Though the more places you had to call, the more chances you might get some help. UCP helps people with all sorts of disabilities, and glad to be able to pass on this info.

Please keep us posted, everyone here is glad to help in some way, if only to offer prayers and purrs.

Edited by author Mon Mar 30, '09 7:58am PST

[notify]

Franky

MROWWWW !

Purred: Mon Mar 30, '09 12:00pm PST 
No, she doesn't need anyone to help her because we are there. Lol. My boyfriend and I take care of her and do whatever she needs done. She's pretty able to do things on her own.. Bathe, Eat, Walk... she just can't get around and definitely can't get outside on her own. So we do her errands for her and take her places that she needs to go. But otherwise, she doesn't need nurse care because she has us. smile
[notify]

Raza

Purred: Mon Mar 30, '09 4:30pm PST 
Can you apply for a carers benefit?thinking.
I congratulate you in all the work your are doing, as I can imagine it is not easy to step into your mothers shoes so young.
There are also websites where you might be able to earn money doing things on line. Maybe for you or your mother if you have time this might be of interest to you
I saw this posted on another website and thought it would be handy

http://workathomemomrevolution.blogspot.com/

Just an idea, good luck with it all.

Edited by author Mon Mar 30, '09 4:32pm PST

[notify]

Sky

Little Prissy- Timid Booty Girl

Purred: Mon Mar 30, '09 4:40pm PST 
OH MY we are purring for you and your family.

Please keep the faith that God will take care of you. We know it is hard - we have had some bad luck lately and are just now getting back on our feet.

xoxoxo

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Tue Mar 31, '09 1:07am PST 
This might be too late for you, but it's an interesting article about a strategy to delay foreclosure:

Homeowners' Rallying Cry: Produce the Note

I don't know if there are rescue groups in your area that might be able to help you find temporary foster homes for your kitties until you're in a suitable home, but it's worth looking into.
hug

Franky

MROWWWW !

Purred: Tue Mar 31, '09 7:43am PST 
Thank you all for your support. We tried calling the guy today, and he wasn't there, so now we have to wait for a call back. >.> I hate playing phone tag. It's so.. ugh.. stressful.

All I can look forward is to thursday, which is the only day out of the week I go and volunteer at my local cat shelter, due to all this stuff going down.

But again, thank you all for your support and purrs.
[notify]

BeBe

I'm just a- lover!

Purred: Thu Apr 2, '09 12:34am PST 
I don't have any advice. I wish you the best though. I'm sure it'll work out in the end for you. Please keep us updated. hug
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3