GO!

Airplane travel and medication question

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sassy, i.e.,- Sassafras

Purred: Sun Jun 22, '08 10:09am PST 
Sassy is a seasoned traveler but has only flown on a plane once and she was very vocal and afraid until after takeoff. To alleviate her fears and the angst of other flyers, I'm getting some meds this week from my vet in anticipation of our flight in a week or so. They recommended a "dry run" to see how she handles it prior to flying because sometimes they react opposite of the intended results. Any thoughts and experiences?
[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Sun Jun 22, '08 12:43pm PST 
Hi Sassy,

You are soooo beautiful! One of my kitties, Sally flew a couple of times with me and she was sedated. Our vet recommended the same thing- a dry run at home. I think that was helpful b/c then I had an idea of how she responded to the medication and wasn't as freaked out when we actually flew.

She ended up doing really, really well. I think I was even able to use the minimum dosage of the sedative.

Have a good trip!
[notify]

Sassy, i.e.,- Sassafras

Purred: Sun Jun 22, '08 1:16pm PST 
Thanks! Do you remember what the medication was? Was there any reaction at all and how long did it last?
[notify]

Sally- ♥- Sweet Angel

Hmmm, what's in- that cabinet?

Purred: Sun Jun 22, '08 1:40pm PST 
I don't remember the name of the medication- so sorry, it was quite a few years ago! I do remember that she didn't fall asleep from it- she was awake the whole time. Once the plane took off, I held her in the carrier on my lap and she just sat quietly and watched me. I was shocked by how well it all went.
[notify]

Chibi

Proud mother of- the Gang of- Four!

Purred: Sun Jun 22, '08 2:01pm PST 
Which medication have you been prescribed, Sassy? I've read that cats are often prescribed human tranquilizers of the benzodiazepine family, which would include old favorites like Valium and Xanax. I'd be interested in hearing why cats might have a reaction opposite to what was expected, and precisely what this reaction is.

Benzodiazepines have a strong somnolent effect, which means that they often relax the subject to the point of falling asleep. Trouble (agitation, nervousness, etc.) can occur when the drug is wearing off--technically, it's a withdrawal symptom, and occurs most commonly when the patient has developed a tolerance for the drug (which your cat won't on a single air flight, don't worry!). This is especially common with Xanax, which has a short half-life (meaning that it stays in the body a shorter time than other drugs like Valium). In the case of Xanax, the body can actually undergo these withdrawal symptoms between doses when a patient has built up a tolerance toward the drug; this is why doctors specify that the benzodiazepines be used only for a limited period of time (at most, a few months). None of this is applicable to your cat, who is not going to become a regular user of sedatives, but I wonder what relationship this information might have to your doctor's statement that the drug could have an effect opposite to what was expected. I'm just curious that way...

Of course, your vet may have prescribed something entirely different. Anyway, I'm interested in this topic, and would like to hear what you were prescribed.
[notify]

Sassy, i.e.,- Sassafras

Purred: Sun Jun 22, '08 5:46pm PST 
Hi Chibi... I'm new to the forum and just sent a message to you as well. I'm not sure what the vet will prescribe. We're going on Monday, so I'll post the results and ask appropriate questions when we get there. Thanks! This is what I was looking for!

Sue and Sassy
[notify]

Kitty

Im coming for- you!! *Chases*

Purred: Tue Jun 24, '08 12:45pm PST 
Hey Sassy
My names Kitty and Im supposed to be going on a trip its only about a 2 hour plane ride and I have alot of similar questions if you find anything out could you let me know? smile Thanks

Kitty
[notify]

Sassy, i.e.,- Sassafras

Purred: Wed Jun 25, '08 11:06am PST 
Hi!! I gave Sassy 1/4 pill this morning as a dry run. She weighs 9 lb and the drug is acepromazine. It had ZERO effect on her. She's doing her usual thing today, not sleepy, not hyper, just curious, following me around, wanting to go outside for a walk on her leash. Tomorrow we'll try 1/2 a pill, which is what the vet recommended. Stay tuned!
[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Wed Jun 25, '08 4:51pm PST 
Thanks for the update! That is the medicine our dog Sophie takes when she gets anxious during thunderstorms and it works really well for her.

It's so sweet of your mom to put so much thought into taking care of you and making sure you are okay! Have a good day!
[notify]

Sassy, i.e.,- Sassafras

Purred: Wed Jun 25, '08 8:14pm PST 
We'll see what tomorrow brings. I've heard examples where dogs are "out of it" with not much more than Sassy had, but we'll see. I want her calm but not comatose. Thanks for the encouragement. I"ll post her results...
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2