GO!

Pet sitters

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Theo

Purred: Wed Jun 18, '08 8:39pm PST 
I'm getting ready to go out of the country for 9 days, but we just moved to a new home 2.5 weeks ago and don't know ANYONE around to stop in to feed the cats, change their litter and maybe scratch their ears a little. I'm a little dubious about using a pet sitter and allowing them access to my house, especially since I e-mailed one as their website says to in order to set up a consultation and never heard from them (It's been about 4 days). I'm finding rates close to $15-18 per visit, with each visit being about 30 minutes. I personally think that's ridiculous for 30 minutes of scooping the litter, pouring food in a dish and hanging out with some animals. Another of my concerns is that I don't have an established vet in the area yet and will be unreachable because I will be in the middle of the rain forest, not that I expect anything to happen since they're great cats and we haven't had a single problem yet. Does anyone have an suggestions or reassurances?
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Wed Jun 18, '08 9:35pm PST 
You might want to check out Catster Local at the top of the page. Besides looking up petsitters look up vets. In the past we had a vet tech from our vets office sit for us. If not at least a ver in the area might be able to make a good reference.

Good luck!
[notify]

Pepper

Please Save a- Life, Adopt a- Cat!

Purred: Thu Jun 19, '08 6:14am PST 
You local shelter or cat rescue may have a list of local pet sitters. Also a lot of time staff at these places will pet sit on the side. A lot of time the big services are more expensive because they are an actual business they need insurance and such.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Jun 19, '08 1:41pm PST 
Try http://www.petsitters.org/ to find a local pet sitter. Ask the vet office, too. Sometimes the vet techs will do pet sitting for the extra money.
[notify]

♥- Apache

Smile and the- world smiles- with you

Purred: Fri Jun 20, '08 6:55am PST 
That's actually a pretty reasonable price.

Remember the cost of gas for someone to come in, clean your litter boxes, feed the cats, wash the bowls, give fresh water. And interact with them.

Babysitters get paid $15.00 an hour these days.

You also need to get the sitter a permission letter that in an emergency they can take your cats to a vet, and you will cover costs on your return.

You say your not reachable during your trip so this is even more important. They'll need an emergency contact in the states.
[notify]

Chai Latte

Your Royal- Chainess

Purred: Sat Jun 21, '08 7:52pm PST 
When our mom goes away she calls the vet and lets them know she will be out of town and leaves her credit card # for anything we might need. She also leaves a note at the house authorizing the person taking care of us to take us in to the vet for any services and to put it on her credit card.
[notify]