GO!

Leaving a kitten home alone

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Ajax (in- loving- memory)

Purred: Wed Apr 2, '08 6:56pm PST 
My owners are almost ready to think about buying a new kitten (or two). However, they plan on being away for many weekends during the summer - on average twice a month. They used to leave me alone for the weekend all the time, but I was already mature by the time they started doing that. Does anyone know if there is a certain age when a cat is considered old enough to leave alone for a few days at a time? Taking the kitten with them isn't really an option.
[notify]

Armand

I'm a DIABETIC- momma's boy

Purred: Thu May 22, '08 1:53am PST 
You may want to get some kittens AFTER summer then.

Small kittens should not be left alone too long, mostly because they can get stuck in wierd places and if not rescued, may die....I've had to rescue my curious kittens a couple of times in my experience.

One got his paw/claw stuck behind the fridge and I had to unhook his little nail/claw cause he didn't know to do it himself (don't know how he managed that) and the other got his head caught in the curves of the dining chair (another wierd situation)

Kitten season goes into the fall, so you should still have your "pick of the litter", come fall season.

After 6 months, most kitties can be left alone without causing too much havoc...but babies just don't know any better.
[notify]

Smokey

I am the QUEEN!

Purred: Sat May 24, '08 6:47am PST 
What Armand said! You could also find a cat sitter who comes in to check on the kittens once a day or so. That should be okay.
[notify]

Chloe ~ Itty- Bitty Angel- Kitty

Itty bitty Chloe- kitty

Purred: Sat May 24, '08 8:15pm PST 
I'd wait to adopt, so you have more time to spend with the cats. Consider two littermates as they keep each other company.
Also consider adopting young adult cats instead of kittens, as they have their purrsonalities set and don't go through the destructive and n eedy phases kittens do!
[notify]

Cleo (The- Queen)

I am the Queen- of the house....

Purred: Sun May 25, '08 7:58am PST 
Mommy always gets us catsitters-they either stay and take care of the house and us (long trips) or check on us and play with us (short trips) that may be an idea
[notify]