GO!

Need any possible help!! Traveling to South Korea from JFK, New York

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Fatso

friendly &- scared

Purred: Sat Oct 21, '06 5:40pm PST 
Hello, friends..

I need to get any possible advice or help on our traveling to South Korea. My name is Fatso and I will be traveling with my brother Pretty Cat and my human dad. My dad is extremely worried about our trip because they asked us to be checked into the Cargo area. Let me give you all possible information. If you think you can give me ANY advice on ANY issue, please do so. I and my dad will appreciate it much!!

I and Pretty Cat (2 cats) are traveling in Dec. 16th, 2006 with the United Air from JFK to Seoul, Korea. It is a direct flight, but not a non-stop so we need to quickly change the plane in San Francisco. We were told to be checked in at the cargo area, which they claim to be pressure and temperature adjusted.
- Has any one of you traveled in the cargo?
- Has any one of you traveled in the cargo with lay overs?
- Has any one of you used United Airlines to travel?
- When I travel in the cargo, what should my dad be aware in terms of checking us in and stuff?
- It will be all together about 15-16 hour long trip. My dad is concerned with us drinking, eating, and going to bathroom during this time. He is worried that the water wont stay in the bowl due to the lay over and stuff in San Franciso? Any suggestion? Should we kept without food or drink?
- Has anyone traveled to South Korea? The airport personnel said (when my dad called) to just bring Rabies doc.

Please give me ANY information on this matter! I look forward to hearing from you all soon!! Thank you!!!

Fatso, da scary cat... :0)
[notify]

Tito

Zenmaster Tito

Purred: Sat Oct 21, '06 6:52pm PST 
I have flown in cargo, a few times. And even thought it sounds awful, it was better than when I was in the cabin, because I cried the whole time. They actually don't want you to eat in your carrier, but will have your daddy attach food to the carrier. They may be fed dring the layover, or if there is a delay. I have never flow as far as Korea, but a frined of mine flew to Bangkok which may even be a little longer because he had to go through Japan, and then on to Thailand. He was an older kitty (10+) and his daddy said that he did fine. (as aside this kitty became famous in Thialand by winning a fat cat contest, at 20 pounds he was heavy here, but freakishly fat in Thailand) Your vet may give you a sedative, although ours declined. Even though my mom didn't think of it, a puppy pad can be used for accidents, and you may be able to have ice for water. You definietly want something that smells like your home and family to take with you, and somthing to curl up in.
It is a little traumatic to fly, but when I flew I bounced back rather quickly. It is worth it to stay with your family!
[notify]

Fatso

friendly &- scared

Purred: Sat Oct 21, '06 7:22pm PST 
Thank you so much for your advice. Now my dad is also worried about the extreme weather condition since we are traveling in December 16th. I hope it would not be a problem if we need to be put in the cargo. frown My dad is already freaking out more than us!
[notify]

Tito

Zenmaster Tito

Purred: Sun Oct 22, '06 9:52am PST 
Oh, that may actually be a problem, but the airline will not let you fly if the weather makes it unsafe. It cannot be too hot or too cold, at your place of departure, or at any stop or layover.
I dont want to freak anyone out either, but that is not negotiable. Your family may need to have a back up plan in case you cannot fly that time of year. Like somebody who would be willing to keep you until the weather is better. When my mom moved back to NM the last time, I had to stay with my grandma in MN until it was cool enough to join her here.
First thing to do is call your airline, and get the temperature guidelines, and then determine if it will even be possible at that time of year.

Edited by author Sun Oct 22, '06 9:54am PST

[notify]

Tito

Zenmaster Tito

Purred: Sun Oct 22, '06 9:58am PST 
I know a kitty that just flew from AZ to Toronto, about a week ago. He won't be back online until Thursday, but I will pmail him about this thread.
[notify]

Fatso

friendly &- scared

Purred: Sun Oct 22, '06 10:46am PST 
Thank you so much!! Yeah, but when I talked to the agent at United Air, they did not mention about the weather restriction so I did not bother asking them. Since my daddy is flying with his mommy, we (Pretty and Fatso) may be able to fly in the cabin with them since one passenger can bring one pet into the cabin. Such an anxious preparation to do for my daddy. frown Hope everything will go through well. Thank you again for the tip!! If anyone else has anything to let us know, please feel free to do so!!!
[notify]

Smokey

I am the QUEEN!

Purred: Sun Oct 22, '06 9:54pm PST 
You need to check the pet import rules for Korea. Many countries now only allow pets in if they travel as cargo. So it may not be your choice. If you can travel in the cabin that is of course much safer. Also, check with the airline if cargo means with the suitcases or in a separate compartment for pets which is pressurized. I don't know if all airlines do it the same way, but Northwest has a separate pet section which is better than "cargo" cargo. If you can't fly direct consider using a pet relocation company (google it). It is expensive, but they can take care of all transfers and the import stuff for you, make sure you have all necessary documents and board the pet on either side if necessary. If there is an overlay some place your pet will get out to stretch legs and get water and food. It is expensive but may be worth it. You also need to check Korea's pet import guidelines to find out if you need additional vaccinations and if your pet [possibly needs to go into quarantine.

Edited by author Fri Dec 1, '06 8:09pm PST

[notify]

Fatso

friendly &- scared

Purred: Mon Oct 23, '06 9:51am PST 
Thank you for your tips Smokey~ I have checked with the Korean officials by calling them. They just requested a ravies vaccine paper that has been done 30 days before arrival. Also, I think cats can be in cabin when going to Korea according to the United Airlines. I will take a look at the pet delievery companies but I think it will be VERY expensive since there are Fatso and Pretty (two of them) to travel. Keep providing me more info if you have any! Thank you a lot!!

Fatso and JOON (his daddy)
[notify]

Tito

Zenmaster Tito

Purred: Mon Oct 23, '06 5:26pm PST 
Just a quick note about in-cabin travel. Be very careful with the carrier you buy. I quickly figured out how to open up mu soft-sided carrier by just sticking my foot in between the zippers. At least make sure you can that it can be secured if they figure it out. I would try using rescue remedy, if your vet does not believe in tranquilizers, as I cried the entire four hours. That coupled with my escape trip made the trip really miserable for my mom.
[notify]

vasia

wepon

Purred: Mon Oct 23, '06 5:36pm PST 
I do not think I could help you in anyn way but I hope that everything is going to mbe ok. oh the only thing I could've helped you with if you were driving by car with your dad is that you hav to have a pet carrier and portable food and water.and a towel or something to put in the pet carriers so it would be comfortable. Have a great trip!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2